Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help Calibrating Nec 2080ux  (Read 6600 times)

Zoggdart

Need Help Calibrating Nec 2080ux
« on: January 27, 2007, 03:48:08 pm »

I rented a Nec Lcd 2080ux...With no instruction... I try to calibrate this monitor last night but i could not figure it out yet... I have a G5 with a eye-one display 2... I try to calibrate it with RGB controles at first so when the rgb window apears, the bar for the red is all the way right the gren is in the center and the blue far left...so i went into the menu of the Lcd and try to change the RGB setting manualy but it doesnt change anything on my Rgb window (eye-one) ? so i try Rgb Preset at 6500k with the eye-one, got better result but not perfect. My Lacie electron was so easy to calibrate... Can anyone help please. What's the best way to do this, RGB Controls or Preset(eye-one). i don't understand why it didn't change the reading (RGB control eye-one)when i was in the nec menu playing with T R Y G C B M S ???  

Stephen Best

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 04:14:47 pm »

I rented a Nec Lcd 2080ux...With no instruction... I try to calibrate this monitor last night but i could not figure it out yet... I have a G5 with a eye-one display 2... I try to calibrate it with RGB controles at first so when the rgb window apears, the bar for the red is all the way right the gren is in the center and the blue far left...so i went into the menu of the Lcd and try to change the RGB setting manualy but it doesnt change anything on my Rgb window (eye-one) ? so i try Rgb Preset at 6500k with the eye-one, got better result but not perfect. My Lacie electron was so easy to calibrate... Can anyone help please. What's the best way to do this, RGB Controls or Preset(eye-one). i don't understand why it didn't change the reading (RGB control eye-one)when i was in the nec menu playing with T R Y G C B M S ???   
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97825\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You should be able to download the manual for this monitor from NEC's site. Search for "nec display" in Google. If it's like my 2090UXi you don't want to touch the individual component controls. These can increase the gamut slightly but at the expense of linearity. The only controls on the monitor you need concern yourself with is backlight luminance ("brightness"), temperature and gamma. If the software will talk to the monitor in hardware mode (DDC) it may be able to set these values, plus update the internal LUT so the video card LUT does less work. If you're using the latest Eye-One Match software, you'll likely get the best results with both temperature and gamma set to "Native". Your 2080UX should handle 5000K nicely and this may give a better visual match if your papers are warmer (no OBAs).

Zoggdart

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 04:38:42 pm »

I just Try That. So my target was native and the result is 5900K, The gamma was at native and i have no info for the result. the luminance was set at 120 and result is 121.3

The thing is i would like to have it at 6500K gama 2.2 and the luminace doesnt look right ? it's on the dark side? waht should i do to get those result? Thanks Stephen.

Stephen Best

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 05:29:29 pm »

I just Try That. So my target was native and the result is 5900K, The gamma was at native and i have no info for the result. the luminance was set at 120 and result is 121.3

The thing is i would like to have it at 6500K gama 2.2 and the luminace doesnt look right ? it's on the dark side? waht should i do to get those result? Thanks Stephen.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97831\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A luminance of 121.3 should be plenty. I run my 2090 at about 100. You may want to review your ambient lighting.

It occurred to me that the 2080 is an odd man out in NEC's range and doesn't have GammaComp. As such, you'll have to be careful with moving the temperature (and gamma) too far away from the defaults. You could try setting the temperature in the monitor (the absolute value may be wrong but you should be able to get it to display 6500) and Match and seeing which gives you the best result. I'd stick with the native temperature though.

Zoggdart

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 05:47:36 pm »

Another thing i don't understand is when i open a picture in photoshop and i set it to have the grey backgrounf the photo goes flat when i change to black it nice and contrasty if  just play with the window size and make it a little bigger than the photo it changes again...Looks like it's always ajusting accordind to what is on the desktop?

Stephen Best

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 06:02:43 pm »

Another thing i don't understand is when i open a picture in photoshop and i set it to have the grey backgrounf the photo goes flat when i change to black it nice and contrasty if  just play with the window size and make it a little bigger than the photo it changes again...Looks like it's always ajusting accordind to what is on the desktop?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97839\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dunno. It kinda sounds like you're in 8-bit (256 color) display mode though.

Zoggdart

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 07:33:22 pm »

no it isn't.   hum....i'm puzzle

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 04:13:04 am »

Another thing i don't understand is when i open a picture in photoshop and i set it to have the grey backgrounf the photo goes flat when i change to black it nice and contrasty if  just play with the window size and make it a little bigger than the photo it changes again...Looks like it's always ajusting accordind to what is on the desktop?

That happens when auto brightness is switched on. You can switch it off via the OSM.

Paul

Zoggdart

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 11:47:36 am »

That solve the brightness probleme. thanks Paul. I don't remember having that on My Lacie.

I try calibrating again at native. I still get 5900K.

Now If i could only get it 6500k and 2.2

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 12:04:39 pm »

Now If i could only get it 6500k and 2.2

You can adjust the presets to a different(custom) colour temperature. Go to the RGB tab on the OSM select a preset, say 5, then press select again and you can adjust the colour temperature in 100K units until your profiling software reports the desired temp.
I found that I had to set a value of 5900K in the menu to actually get a measured value near 6500K on my 1980 here, so don't trust the figures exactly.

You ought to be able to specify a target gamma in your profiling software, but be warned 2.2 might not be ideal despite what the general wisdom might suggest.
I still have issues with the luminance accuracy of profiles created for mine, but it seems a difficult issue to resolve.

Paul

mwerbe

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 03:15:47 pm »

Turn auto brightness off in the display menu. That's probably why you are seeing a change in image based on the window size. I'm not sure why your monitor is so cool at 5900, my 1980sxi is more like 6800 in native mode, if you set it to 6500 in the display menu it will calibrate to that temperature.
Pages: [1]   Go Up