Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rollei XACT-2 or Sinar X for digital back?  (Read 12082 times)

BobDavid

Rollei XACT-2 or Sinar X for digital back?
« on: January 27, 2007, 02:21:36 pm »

I do architectural and still life photography. I'm currently using an Imacon 384c mounted on a Mamiya 645AFD, which I like a lot. But, there are times that I would like to have the benefit of view camera movements. I'm also interested in having the capability of using a view camera rear shift for stitching. I'm leaning towards the Sinar X over the Rollei because it has a greater range of movement, particularly back shifts. Anybody have experience with either or both of cameras?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 02:24:20 pm by BobDavid »

fpoole

• http://www.frankpoole.com
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 04:12:14 pm »

Bob,

I used a P2 for years which is basically the same as the X.  I am now using a P3 with a Sinarback 54H and find it very compact, precise and easy to work with. It's size is just right for the back.

I would think that the X would be a bit clunky with a mf back even though it is certainly useable.
A better comparison would be between the Rollie and P3.

I still prefer having view camera movements than not.  It's still better and more versatile than trying to correct in Photoshop.  It seems like you came to the same conclusion.

Best,
Frank Poole

BobDavid

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 04:33:18 pm »

Bob,

I used a P2 for years which is basically the same as the X.  I am now using a P3 with a Sinarback 54H and find it very compact, precise and easy to work with. It's size is just right for the back.

I would think that the X would be a bit clunky with a mf back even though it is certainly useable.
A better comparison would be between the Rollie and P3.

I still prefer having view camera movements than not.  It's still better and more versatile than trying to correct in Photoshop.  It seems like you came to the same conclusion.

Best,
Frank Poole
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97826\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree about your comparison of a P3 to the Rollei. However, I can get a used Sinar X for around $1,500. The P3s go for around $8K?

fpoole

• http://www.frankpoole.com
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 09:49:33 am »

Bob,

That's a tough one.   You can do a lot of traveling with that cash.  

I was very lucky and found a demo P3 at a good price plus sold my P2 and lenses to ease the pain.

Good luck. Equipment decisions are very complicated these days. I got 20 years of use out of the P2.

That's just not going to happen with my current set-up or any current set-up.

Best,

Frank Poole
www.frankpoole.com

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 12:29:22 am »

I do architectural and still life photography. I'm currently using an Imacon 384c mounted on a Mamiya 645AFD, which I like a lot. But, there are times that I would like to have the benefit of view camera movements. I'm also interested in having the capability of using a view camera rear shift for stitching. I'm leaning towards the Sinar X over the Rollei because it has a greater range of movement, particularly back shifts. Anybody have experience with either or both of cameras?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97818\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dear Bob,

just a little remark and suggestio: since you seem to need to take your camera on location as well, another good option would be the Sinar f3, a light and stable camera buzilt for digital backs, with all the same movements possibilities.

Best regards,
Thierry
Sinar AG Switzerland
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 01:58:36 am »

I have my rollei x act 2 and all my stuff including 5 lenses, slidiing back, digital back, rollei electronic shutter extension tubs in a single case about the size of a small narrow suitcase that would fit above most overhead airline options. I am exhausted and having a block on the name of that bag

Dear Bob,

just a little remark and suggestio: since you seem to need to take your camera on location as well, another good option would be the Sinar f3, a light and stable camera buzilt for digital backs, with all the same movements possibilities.

Best regards,
Thierry
Sinar AG Switzerland
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98031\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 06:33:16 am »

If you are planning to do architectural work with wide angles and are a professional then   a view camera is probably not the right solution.

I use the Cambo Wide DS and its far more productive. With a 35XL lens, even slight misalignments in the vertical plane cause softness which is very hard to detect via a view camera viewfinder in the heat of a busy assignment.

As well as the Cambo Wide there are offerings from Alpa (better quality, more expensive) Horseman (tad cheaper, less flexible), Silvestri (cheaper, but worse build quality) of the same 'pancake' type cameras.

I still use a view camera for 72mm and up focal lengths, but as soon as I can afford it I will buy a 72mm for the Cambo as well, as its much more convenient to use, much lighter etc, etc.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo
Pages: [1]   Go Up