Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Expo disc and Phase One LCC correction  (Read 6695 times)

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
Expo disc and Phase One LCC correction
« on: January 27, 2007, 12:56:46 pm »

I've been using the Phase One 5"x7" plexi for lens cast correction.  I am just looking for something that will fit in my pocket and cover a 52mm filter size.

Has anyone used the Expo Disc?  It appears that it would work fine, but it also looks like it may block more light than the Phase One Plexi and therefore require a longer exposure correction to use.  Any thoughts?

kevraber

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 06:29:52 pm »

I've been using the Phase One 5"x7" plexi for lens cast correction.  I am just looking for something that will fit in my pocket and cover a 52mm filter size.

Has anyone used the Expo Disc?  It appears that it would work fine, but it also looks like it may block more light than the Phase One Plexi and therefore require a longer exposure correction to use.  Any thoughts?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97803\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Works just fine.  Many user have switched to it.

Kevin Raber
Phase One

ericstaud

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 06:54:14 pm »

Thanks Kevin,  I'll try it out then.

-Eric

Lester

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 12:46:05 am »

I made a test with the Expo Disc and the Phase One plexi on the P25, it seems that the Expo Disc did a little better job. I think it is the same + exposure. I used a 77mm Expo disc and just hold it in front of the lens. I got lucky with the P45, only about 10% really need the LLC.

I've been using the Phase One 5"x7" plexi for lens cast correction.  I am just looking for something that will fit in my pocket and cover a 52mm filter size.

Has anyone used the Expo Disc?  It appears that it would work fine, but it also looks like it may block more light than the Phase One Plexi and therefore require a longer exposure correction to use.  Any thoughts?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97803\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am a old fart, over 60

benedmonson

• http://www.benedmonson.com
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 02:14:13 pm »

I just started using a P30 back this week. Is using the Expo disc the best way to set your white balance? Just trying to figure out the best way to do so.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 04:04:09 pm »

I just started using a P30 back this week. Is using the Expo disc the best way to set your white balance?

It depends on what you're shooting, and why. For portraits, especially of Caucasian women, a warmer-than-accurate white balance is appropriate, and for landscapes, a technically accurate white balance will in many cases ruin the ambience of the image. But for product, catalog, and fashion work, where accurate color reproduction of the product/clothing is a must, an ExpoDisc or WhiBal card or Color Checker chart is a good way to ensure accurate white balance. Whatever white reference you use, make sure it is illuminated by the same lighting as the subject.

benedmonson

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 11:00:48 am »

I've got a Expodisc coming in from B&H today and am going to try it on 2 editorial shoots tomorrow. What is the proper method when using with a mfdb. I'll be shooting strobes inside on people. I may be overthinking its use, but just want to get the most out of my $100.00 toy! I still haven't nailed down how to set the p30's WB when shooting tethered. Any help would be greatly appreciated. As usual i will just throw myself to the lions and figure it out as i go.

Ben Edmonson
www.benedmonson.com

Lester

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 11:36:11 am »

Just use your Expodisc as you would with the Phase One Plexi for LLC. It just a replacement for the Phase One Plexi, that comes with your kit. I don't think it is used for white balance on the Phase One. It is a tool for LLC.

I've got a Expodisc coming in from B&H today and am going to try it on 2 editorial shoots tomorrow. What is the proper method when using with a mfdb. I'll be shooting strobes inside on people. I may be overthinking its use, but just want to get the most out of my $100.00 toy! I still haven't nailed down how to set the p30's WB when shooting tethered. Any help would be greatly appreciated. As usual i will just throw myself to the lions and figure it out as i go.
Ben Edmonson
www.benedmonson.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98525\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am a old fart, over 60

benedmonson

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 01:59:25 pm »

That's the deal, my P30 didn't come with a Phase One Plexi for LLC???

Just use your Expodisc as you would with the Phase One Plexi for LLC. It just a replacement for the Phase One Plexi, that comes with your kit. I don't think it is used for white balance on the Phase One. It is a tool for LLC.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98533\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ericstaud

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 03:57:23 pm »

That's the deal, my P30 didn't come with a Phase One Plexi for LLC???
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98568\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just to check, did you look in the big leather wallet that holds the instructions?  It is in a black plastic sleave in that wallet... not that it matters now that you have the Expo Disc.

benedmonson

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 07:07:49 pm »

Eric,
My back didn't come with a wallet or instructions. Just in the black pelican like case. I'll call my dealer and ask him.
Thanks,
Ben
Pages: [1]   Go Up