Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: best papers for z3100  (Read 17128 times)

rdonson

best papers for z3100
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2007, 02:50:38 pm »

Anyone tried canvas on the 3100 yet?  

I'm going to be ordering a Z3100 soon and APS if they fix some of its limitations and I need to print on canvas as well as HP Pro Satin and Hahnemuhle SFA.  

Are any of the HP canvas products worthwhile?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 02:53:08 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
best papers for z3100
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2007, 03:18:36 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108998\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've got some Premiere Imaging Matte Canvas here I'll be trying in the next day or so.  I was quite impressed with the samples in the shop compared to the Epson product.  Also Premiere sells a sealant for it that Wilhelm has confirmed actually does improve longevity.

Will report back when I've got something to say.

rdonson

best papers for z3100
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2007, 03:40:55 pm »

I've got some Premiere Imaging Matte Canvas here I'll be trying in the next day or so.  I was quite impressed with the samples in the shop compared to the Epson product.  Also Premiere sells a sealant for it that Wilhelm has confirmed actually does improve longevity.

Will report back when I've got something to say.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109005\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Sean.  I look forward to your feedback.
Regards,
Ron

namartinnz

best papers for z3100
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2007, 05:42:07 pm »

Thanks, Sean.  I look forward to your feedback.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109013\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've been using 100% cotton canvas - imported from Australia called Eterna 100% Cotton Fine Art Canvas 390gms. Profiled under canvas setting. Printed with deeper blacks/contrast  compared to my Epson 4000. Colours were good too. No issues with rolls, but feeding in off cuts I've had a couple of jams and had to reset the printer. Be very careful the sheets have nothing sticking up to jam the heads. All customers are happy with the results so far.

Neal
www.photorestoration.co.nz

rdonson

best papers for z3100
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2007, 06:24:44 pm »

I've been using 100% cotton canvas - imported from Australia called Eterna 100% Cotton Fine Art Canvas 390gms. Profiled under canvas setting. Printed with deeper blacks/contrast  compared to my Epson 4000. Colours were good too. No issues with rolls, but feeding in off cuts I've had a couple of jams and had to reset the printer. Be very careful the sheets have nothing sticking up to jam the heads. All customers are happy with the results so far.

Neal
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109034\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Neal!  What do you coat that canvas with?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 06:25:23 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

ricgal

best papers for z3100
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2007, 06:36:01 pm »

I love this photo of the printers. Like a craftsman's printing cave. I suppose I should return the 44" and get a 24" so I can mount another on top of it!

Yes -  much to wifes despair-  I hope the old joke- whats the difference between a Photographer and a Dominos pizza  (you can feed a family of four with a Dominos pizza)  does not hold true as my wife is quitting work next week-  

To that end I am doing my first big run on the z3100  (by giclee standards anyway)  300m of HPR  (650 A2's)  I began it with the Epson 7500 but it sadly seems to drift a little colour wise on long runs  (age I guess although someon may be able to suggest a solution?! The shift is dangerously slight so easily missed apart from careful examination) unless i print very very slowly with (Hi speed off).  
Fortunantly  it was surprisingly easy to transfer the colours to the new printer and there is the the advantage that it cuts as it goes.!  
It looks all small and delicate so i hope it can handle abuse  (24hr printing).  Better to try it while it is in warrenty I suppose.

Kentmere have brought out some nice FB gloss-   not huge in gamut but it takes the ink very nicely and looks good for B&W.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 06:38:19 pm by ricgal »
www.ricbower.com- Art and Fashion Photog

namartinnz

best papers for z3100
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2007, 06:41:39 pm »

Thanks, Neal!  What do you coat that canvas with?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ron

I use GMS Gliceeshield produced by the same company in Australia. It's water based and I apply it on with a roll. With a layer on I can scratch my fingers over the dried coating, leaving no marks (not that I recommend normally doing that!). I may try their outside sealer called Aquacryl - even better but makes canvas stretching more diifcult if first applied because of rigidity

[a href=\"http://gicleemedia.com.au/xcart/home.php]http://gicleemedia.com.au/xcart/home.php[/url]

Certainly cheaper for me to import from Australia than buy in New Zealand.

Neal

rdonson

best papers for z3100
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2007, 10:03:58 am »

Ron

I use GMS Gliceeshield produced by the same company in Australia. It's water based and I apply it on with a roll. With a layer on I can scratch my fingers over the dried coating, leaving no marks (not that I recommend normally doing that!). I may try their outside sealer called Aquacryl - even better but makes canvas stretching more diifcult if first applied because of rigidity

http://gicleemedia.com.au/xcart/home.php

Certainly cheaper for me to import from Australia than buy in New Zealand.

Neal
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109045\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Neal.  I'm going to search to see if this is available in the U.S.
Regards,
Ron

joncanfield

best papers for z3100
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2007, 10:11:18 pm »

I'm going to be ordering a Z3100 soon and APS if they fix some of its limitations and I need to print on canvas as well as HP Pro Satin and Hahnemuhle SFA. 

Are any of the HP canvas products worthwhile?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108998\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just did some canvas prints for a client using the HP Pro Matte Canvas, very impressed with the results, and the client was thrilled.

Jon

rdonson

best papers for z3100
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2007, 09:07:42 am »

I just did some canvas prints for a client using the HP Pro Matte Canvas, very impressed with the results, and the client was thrilled.

Jon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109975\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Jon.  I was hoping that the HP canvas products would be good.
Regards,
Ron

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
best papers for z3100
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2007, 08:07:47 am »

The Premier Matte Canvas product has a good gamut (about 900K) and the prints are clear.  Be careful of dust on the canvas as it can result in ink flaking later.  And this canvas must be coated afterwards.  Premier sells three different gloss levels of coatings.

I'm arguing with myself on whether I want to print my latest series on the canvas or on satin photo paper.  I guess I should try the satin canvas.  I really need a wider gamut than I'm getting from the Matte.  More testing....
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up