Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Image print colors  (Read 3420 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Problem with Image print colors
« on: January 25, 2007, 09:59:07 pm »

Dear all,

I have been very happy about the colors IP had been able to get out of Hahnemuehle Photorag 308 on my Epson 4000... until yesterday.

Upon opening a D2x .psd file in IP (profile is Abode1998), using the IP standard HPR308 daylight profile and Relative Colorimetric intend, I see a yellowish band appear accross a deep blue sky.

I see no gamu warning in PS.

I could "fix" the issue by making the blue a bit more yellow in IP, but sort of lose some of the impact of the initial image.

The problem is not a lack of consistency between IP screen preview and the print, they are exactly similar, which is impressive.

Has anyone else experienced something similar, is there a better solution?

Thank you in advance,

Regards,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 12:04:46 am »

Nobody really?

Regards,
Bernard

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 12:52:25 am »

Sorry, no not with a profile that had been working successfully for awhile. Never. I have seen things that I thought were similar. One was a change in the paper and therefore the profile was obsolete (when I went to the profile download site I found a fresh one that I had not updated to) and once a strange sort of semi clogged jet or cartridge. Once I picked a profile accidentally that at first glance seemed like the right one, but wasn't (you know how obtuse the naming of the profiles an be). Always it turned out to some simple mistake that I was making. I would try perceptual too.

Was it a band straight across or a rainbow?
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

jschone

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 09:24:00 am »

Bernard,

Does this happen with all profiles ? For example the rf2 and rf3 profiles?

Do you mean that you see the yellow banding in the IP screen preview ? (and not when you are soft proofing in Photoshop?)

If its is already there in the IP preview, it seems that there are some correction parameters set, which IP takes as default. I can see that as the only explanation when your PS soft proofing is different then the IP preview/print.

Jochem

Dear all,

I have been very happy about the colors IP had been able to get out of Hahnemuehle Photorag 308 on my Epson 4000... until yesterday.

Upon opening a D2x .psd file in IP (profile is Abode1998), using the IP standard HPR308 daylight profile and Relative Colorimetric intend, I see a yellowish band appear accross a deep blue sky.

I see no gamu warning in PS.

I could "fix" the issue by making the blue a bit more yellow in IP, but sort of lose some of the impact of the initial image.

The problem is not a lack of consistency between IP screen preview and the print, they are exactly similar, which is impressive.

Has anyone else experienced something similar, is there a better solution?

Thank you in advance,

Regards,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97581\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 10:48:00 am »

Bernard,

Do you mean that you see the yellow banding in the IP screen preview ? (and not when you are soft proofing in Photoshop?)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98863\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the answer.

Yes, the problem is already visible in IP preview. My understanding is that IP uses special profiles that can not be used for soft proofing in PS.

As a result, I didn't try soft proofing in PS, but only checked for gamut warnings in the working profile of the image (Adobe 1998). I would expect the color engine of IP to be able to map a non clipped Adobe 1998 file to a "correct" file in IP's propritary output profile, or am I being over optimistic here?

If its is already there in the IP preview, it seems that there are some correction parameters set, which IP takes as default. I can see that as the only explanation when your PS soft proofing is different then the IP preview/print.

Jochem
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98863\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There are no parameters set in IP besides profile and conversion intend. The problems occurs with both relative colormetic and perceptual by the way.

Regards,
Bernard

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 11:53:03 am »

Hi Bernard,

Color profiles for IP can be used in Photoshop to softproof. It's only the special "gray" profiles for IP that can't be used in PS to softproof.

In any case, I had some issues with Photo Rag 308 in IP 6.1 for my 2200. I can't remember seeing yellow in regions that weren't supposed to show it, but some colors definitely were off. I am wondering if this is b/c the paper itself has changed a bit (maybe the coating?) In contrast, I also tried IP 6.1 with Museum Etching 350 and the colors were spot on. So clearly IP and their general profile making procedure seems to be fine, but the particular profiles for PR 308 seem maybe out-dated ...

Eric
Eric Chan

jschone

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 06:05:16 pm »

Even if hahnemuhle decided to update their paper in certain ways, the profile can not be that way off. Anyway, Bernard, doo soft proof in PS. Like the prev. poster said, it should work well for your   Color profiles. Gray profiles are another thing. Let's leave that out of this discussion for clarity sake.

Jochem
Pages: [1]   Go Up