Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: VJs Download Video available  (Read 16518 times)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
VJs Download Video available
« on: January 25, 2007, 09:36:25 am »

Today we have started to make the video content of the Luminous Landscape Video Journal available as Download Video.

The content of LLVJ-15 and our now-somewhat-dated Lightroom beta 3 Tutorial DVD is available as multi-file ( 7 & 3 respectively) downloads in Hi-Res (640 x 360) or iPod (320 x 180) resolutions.

Check out the webpage for full details and to view sample clips.

Oh and Yes! - we will continue to make the DVDs  

CS
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 09:37:28 am by Chrissand »

francois

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 09:46:59 am »

Today we have started to make the video content of the Luminous Landscape Video Journal available as Download Video.
Wow, that's great! Thank you.

I'll continue to subscribe to the DVDs but will download other tutorials or extra stuff.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 09:47:20 am by francois »
Francois

method

• http://www.method-photo.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 10:50:55 am »

The content of LLVJ-15 and our now-somewhat-dated Lightroom beta 3 Tutorial DVD is available as multi-file ( 7 & 3 respectively) downloads in Hi-Res (640 x 360) or iPod (320 x 180) resolutions.

Check out the webpage for full details and to view sample clips.

CS
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97474\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What if you are already a subscriber?

Richard

michael

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 11:01:19 am »

If you're a subscriber then you already have the files on your DVD and don't need the download.

We are considering a special offer for DVD subscribers to also download new issues as they become available, so that they can have the content prior to their DVD's being delivered.

The whole point is "Instant Gratification".  

Michael

method

• http://www.method-photo.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 11:04:18 am »

We are considering a special offer for DVD subscribers to also download new issues as they become available, so that they can have the content prior to their DVD's being delivered.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97491\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sounds good to me!  

Richard

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 11:08:49 am »

What if you are already a subscriber?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97487\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank-you!  

but actually we will, from time to time, offer discounts between the two products as 'specials'. However right now, there is no discount for existing subscribers.

Chris S

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 01:21:51 pm »

Great Job!  Thank You!!!!!

My laptop is a constant companion; unfortunately external dvd disks are not!  This gives me the best of both worlds!

TomN

• http://www.tnphoto.ca
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 01:34:10 pm »

I'm currently a DVD subscriber and I would love it if I would be able download the iPod versions so that I can watch them on my iPod while traveling. That would be perfect for me!

Keep the the excellent work!  

gewitterkind

• http://midstockphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 02:05:51 pm »

Being able to pay via paypal or moneybookers would be great...

Bob Peterson

• http://www.pbase.com/rwzeitgeist/
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 02:59:29 pm »

CS
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97474\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you considered producing the high res downloads in High Definition (16:9 aspect ratio) format?  You could beta test 16:9 productions as downloads before starting to ship on media.  Offering 16:9 downloads would provide value to current LLVJ subscribers, i.e., provide DVD subscribers an incentive to also subscribe to the downloads.

Bob

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 03:08:37 pm »

Hope your servers will be up to the task

michael

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 03:48:26 pm »

The server is creaking a bit today under the load, but we're upgrading it, and response times should be back to normal by tomorrow.

The videos are already mostly in 16:9 format. Putting Hi-Def files online for download wouldn't be viable at present. The pipes aren't big enough.

But when we started the Video Journal five years ago our concept was to be able to make them available for download, as well as on DVD, with good enough quality to do justice to our high production values. We believe that we have now succeeded.

Hopefully the technology will allow us to do Hi-Res online some time in the near future.

Michael

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 07:03:44 pm »

Will you be converting previous VJ's to download? I don't have DVD players which has kept me from subscribing until now...

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 07:07:55 pm »

Will you be converting previous VJ's to download? I don't have DVD players which has kept me from subscribing until now...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97553\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes the older Video Journals will be going up bit by bit over the next coupla months

CS

jdlevy

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 07:19:37 pm »

Chris and Michael,

I am a bit confused as to the status of current DVD subscribers. Are you saying that we would have to purchase some sort of additional subscription in order to access the downloads? If so, that does not seem right. It seems to me that if one is willing to pay the full boat then the downloads should be available to those subscribers at no additional cost.

I do enjoy the LLVJ and like to recieve the DVD.

If it is your intention to make these offers mutually exclusive are you going to offer current subscribers the ability to transfer their subscriptions from the DVD to the download?

Please clarify.

Thanks.
David
 My

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 08:15:59 pm »

Being able to pay via paypal or moneybookers would be great...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97523\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
We prefer good ol' credit cards and the security that  -generally- comes with them. PayPal and others are too prone to fraud (or more accurately attempted fraud) for our taste today.

CS

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 08:19:51 pm »

I am a bit confused as to the status of current DVD subscribers.
If it is your intention to make these offers mutually exclusive are you going to offer current subscribers the ability to transfer their subscriptions from the DVD to the download?
Please clarify.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97558\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The download video and the DVD are quite different products. Current subscribers will be offered a substantial discount on the _future_ issue download product. It will not be offered free to current subscribers.

CS

PeteC

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 09:38:04 pm »

Very glad to see the VJ downloadable idea. I have seriously considered subscribing to the DVDs before, but when postage is added to Australia, it was really quite expensive so I backed away. This is a much more viable proposition for me.

However, I just cannot get ADSL in my location, so at 33.6Kb/s dialup, I'm still stuffed! I hope the situation will have changed in a few months time, but even then, I think it will be 512K max. Anyway, as soon as I can, I will be subscribing for the downloads.

Cheers,
Pete

larkvi

• http://www.larkvi.com
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2007, 12:22:02 am »

Is the intent to replace DVD playback with on-screen viewing, or will the files be provided in a format which will allow our DVD players to read them once we burn them to a DVD-R?

I am curious because I am a current subscriber and watch my DVDs on both my computer (my primary DVD player) and a large-screen television (my father's primary viewing device when we are watching them together).

Does the release of the low-res downloads indicate that you are ready to up the DVDs to the promised high-definition standard?
-Sean [ we

michael

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2007, 06:36:53 am »

The download hi-res files are Quicktimes, which can be played on any compatible device. They can be burned to a DVD if you  wish to do so. Similarly, the files on the DVDs are able to be extracted if you know how.

The whole point of this is to give viewers choices. Those that prefer to watch the VJ on a TV or projector may do so via the DVD's. Those that want to view on their computer screens now can do so. This dual availability also address the needs of those that find current shipping costs too high – which I admit they are, but which is out of our control.

Five years ago not enough people had broadband connections. Now that the vast majority worldwide have it, an online product makes sense. And the very positive response on day one attests to this.

The DVD's will continue for the forseeable future. When either Blue Ray or HD DVD appears to win the stupid format fight we will adopt the winner and make the VJ available in HD as well, since we've been shooting HD content for almost 2 years now.

Existing DVD subscribers will be offered a discount package which includes the ability, for a few dollars more per issue, to download as well as receive the DVD's. This will mean that waiting for delivery and the whim of the postal services will be a thing of that past.

When HD satabilizes we'll decide on what do do about dual or triple formats and what the costs will be.

Michael
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up