Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taking Preorders on NEC 2690wuxi  (Read 7503 times)

savagegibson

Taking Preorders on NEC 2690wuxi
« on: January 23, 2007, 05:25:05 pm »

I've been waiting forever for the 2690wuxi to be released in the US. I've got a LaCie 19 IV that is dying and I'm anxious to move on, so I've been looking every day for news on this monitor.

So far today I've seen it listed at PC Connection and CDW for $1600 and $1650 respectively. I know a lot of people have been keeping tabs on this so I thought places and prices might be helpful for everyone. If you see it in stock anywhere or at a lower price, I'm sure it would be appreciated if you shared it here.

Zoggdart

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 10:06:13 pm »

Did you get a delevery date? I Still can't place a order a the store i go to...i'm in Canada...Still no dates from the Nec Rep... getting frustrating...  My Lacie is so dead... Any info if the 2190 will go down in price... there is only a difference of 200$ U.S. doesn't seem right to me... Should be lower compare to the advantages of the 2690 !!!

Zoggdart

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 10:17:00 pm »

I just find out that the price of 2490 is identical to the 2190 @ 1499.99$...on Nec website.
What's the deal whit that?

savagegibson

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 10:13:27 am »

Did you get a delevery date? I Still can't place a order a the store i go to...i'm in Canada...Still no dates from the Nec Rep... getting frustrating...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97250\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mine shipped today from PC Connection and they are showing them as in stock now.

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 11:01:01 am »

Whoa!  Let's get a hands-on report from you ASAP!

Here's the only review I've seen of it so far, and a very encouraging one it is.

...and it won best in show in the display category at Macworld.

Ouch, monitor lust...

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 12:10:30 pm by Nill Toulme »

savagegibson

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 02:00:25 pm »

I'll give you the skinny as soon as I have it in my hands. I'm on the road on a shoot right now and won't be back in town until next week where it should be when I get back in the office on Wednesday. So you'll have to wait until then. Sorry. But if anyone wants to FedEx one to themselves today, you could have it tomorrow and share your thoughts here.

Whoa!  Let's get a hands-on report from you ASAP!

Here's the only review I've seen of it so far, and a very encouraging one it is.

...and it won best in show in the display category at Macworld.

Ouch, monitor lust...

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98709\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 02:02:02 pm by savagegibson »

savagegibson

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 11:23:00 pm »

Well I've got my 2690wuxi up and running and I have to say it is pretty impressive. It is a bitter sweet moment, since I have $1650 less than I did when my LaCie started dying, but now I've got the latest greatest. I don't really have a lot to say except that it looks great.

It definitely has a different "feel" to it from my old CRT and I need to get used to that, but so far so good. One thing I've noticed is just how much software is designed for wide format screens these days. I had the traditional proportions on my old CRT and it is amazing how much better Aperture and Bridge work in a wider format.

I don't have a ton to say about it except that is seems to deliver what it promises, but if you have any specific questions, I'd be glad to answer them.

Paul Sumi

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 11:57:54 pm »

Well I've got my 2690wuxi up and running and I have to say it is pretty impressive. It is a bitter sweet moment, since I have $1650 less than I did when my LaCie started dying, but now I've got the latest greatest. I don't really have a lot to say except that it looks great.

It definitely has a different "feel" to it from my old CRT and I need to get used to that, but so far so good. One thing I've noticed is just how much software is designed for wide format screens these days. I had the traditional proportions on my old CRT and it is amazing how much better Aperture and Bridge work in a wider format.

I don't have a ton to say about it except that is seems to deliver what it promises, but if you have any specific questions, I'd be glad to answer them.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99977\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Savagegibson,

I've also got my eye on this new monitor, since I'm in the market.  What are you using to calibrate/profile the 2690wuxi?  NEC's own software or another hardware/software solution?

Also, if you are in the U.S., where did you get it?

Thanks,

Paul

gorosh

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 06:31:33 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99977\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How do you feel about its dot pitch / pixel size? I'm considering this display, but its rather large dot pitch is kind of a turn of for me (although I haven't seen one for myself yet, so I'm still not sure about it) - it has 1920x1200 resolution, like 23" / 24" displays...Do you find it too big, and how far do you sit from it?

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 08:19:57 am »

It's listed on Vistek's (Canadian) site as a "buy now".

Not in stock yet at http://www.directdial.com/ca/shop/go/go.as...der_r7_c15.y=13   (better price...)

BTW, what's the distinction between:

LCD2690WUXI-BK  ($1880)
and LCD2690WUXI-BKSV?  ($2233)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 08:29:32 am by Tim Gray »

gkroeger

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 09:02:57 am »

It's listed on Vistek's (Canadian) site as a "buy now".

Not in stock yet at http://www.directdial.com/ca/shop/go/go.as...der_r7_c15.y=13   (better price...)

BTW, what's the distinction between:

LCD2690WUXI-BK  ($1880)
and LCD2690WUXI-BKSV?  ($2233)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100007\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If I am not mistaken, the BKSV includes the SpectraView software for calibration of the hardware lookup tables, and a rebranded Eye-One Display 2.  For folks who already have calibration hardware, the software can be purchased separately from NECs web store.

Glenn

Zoggdart

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 10:00:56 am »

I called Vistek last week to get a quote, they didn't even know about that monitor...I told them they should speake to there manager and get there head right. they try and sell me LaCie..told them i could get the Nec 2190 wich is the same pannel for less$$    they call me back on monday to tell me they could have it on special order at 2239$ CAN....I told them i could have it for 1950$CAN!!! beware I spoke with the rep for nec and i'm on the top of is list! he says he's the one you will distibute to the dealers and none of them got one yet! waiting for shippement in 1 or 2 weeks!

savagegibson

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 08:29:54 pm »

Hi Savagegibson,

I've also got my eye on this new monitor, since I'm in the market.  What are you using to calibrate/profile the 2690wuxi?  NEC's own software or another hardware/software solution?

Also, if you are in the U.S., where did you get it?

Thanks,

Paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99978\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I got it from PC Connection for US$1604 with free shipping.

I'm using the Gretag/Pantone/x-Rite/Macbeth Eye-One Display 2 package, and I'm using their software too. It is my understanding that the SV model will be out in a few more weeks as NEC doesn't have he SpectraView software ready for this particular monitor.

savagegibson

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 08:35:31 pm »

How do you feel about its dot pitch / pixel size? I'm considering this display, but its rather large dot pitch is kind of a turn of for me (although I haven't seen one for myself yet, so I'm still not sure about it) - it has 1920x1200 resolution, like 23" / 24" displays...Do you find it too big, and how far do you sit from it?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100003\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was concerned about that too when I bought it sight unseen, but my back was against the wall and I needed a new monitor ASAP. I have been pleasantly surprised at how little I notice the dot pitch. I know these things are subjective, but I really have to lean in and pay close attention to see the individual pixels. I'm 6'4" and from where I sit if I reach my arms straight out they just touch the monitor. I can't imagine sitting any closer with a monitor this wide. The only place I ever notice the dot pitch is in very thin type, but I'm doing pictures, not words, so it doesn't bother me a bit.

Paul Sumi

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 09:10:47 pm »

I'm using the Gretag/Pantone/x-Rite/Macbeth Eye-One Display 2 package, and I'm using their software too. It is my understanding that the SV model will be out in a few more weeks as NEC doesn't have the SpectraView software ready for this particular monitor.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100104\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the information.  Sounds like SV's only difference is it includes the SpectraView software and hardware puck and that the NEC software will be available separately.

I'm currently using Integrated Color Corp's ColorEyes Display 3.2 on my PC desktop with the X-Rite DTP-94 and waiting for the upcoming Pro version.

Paul
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 09:12:53 pm by PaulS »

gkroeger

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007, 08:55:30 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100003\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

NEC's web site is a bit confused... the pdf suggests that the 2690 has a pixel pitch of 0.288, and the 2490 a pixel pitch of 0.27, but other places indicate the 2690 has a pitch of 0,27.  I assume the pdf is correct?

Glenn
Pages: [1]   Go Up