Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 possible problem with 4.0.0.6 firmware  (Read 2452 times)

ssphoto

z3100 possible problem with 4.0.0.6 firmware
« on: January 22, 2007, 08:04:45 pm »

Under "1st print problems with z3100," someone mentioned that they were experiencing issues with the firmware update 4.0.0.6 from HP's website.  Although my issue seems to be different, my printer (z3100 24") now too has been working strangely since I did the update.

After having the printer for a day or so, and with everything working fine (printing mostly on just HP ID Satin Paper), I went to HP's site and saw the update and performed it.  However, since I did the update, everything that I print out of CS2 using any ICC profiles made by the printer are completely out of wack.  The test pattern from the printer and the profile targets look fine still, but actual prints look terrible like there is a profile mismatch.

Also, after I did the firmware update, every paper I put in the printer, in the printer driver dialog under 'Notifications', says that the paper size is incorrect by some miniscule amount.  For example, when I have the 24" roll of HP ID Satin in the printer, it says that the paper is the incorrect size and is 23.95".  When I put a piece of 13" x 19" paper in, it says that the paper size is incorrect and is 12.95" x 19.05".  I have manually measured the paper and they are the correct size, and i have loaded and reloaded the paper in the printer numerous times and every time it gives me the same errors.  Like I said previous, the printer did none of this until I did the firmware update.

I know it is not my computer (MacbookPro 2.16 2GB RAM), because prints I make from my Epson 4800 still look completely fine using ICC profiles I have made using my stand alone Eye-One.

Has anyone else experienced a problem similar to mine, with the printer making prints that look completely awful like there is a profile mismatch?  

I've contacted HP and they said they haven't heard of this issue yet.  It just seems very strange that everything worked fine until I did the firmware update.  BEWARE OF THE FIRMWARE UPDATE!

Best,
Sean

Haraldo

• Phoozl - photo games & more
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 12:01:27 am »

Under "1st print problems with z3100," someone mentioned that they were experiencing issues with the firmware update 4.0.0.6 from HP's website.  Although my issue seems to be different, my printer (z3100 24") now too has been working strangely since I did the update. After having the printer for a day or so, and with everything working fine (printing mostly on just HP ID Satin Paper), I went to HP's site and saw the update and performed it.  However, since I did the update, everything that I print out of CS2 using any ICC profiles made by the printer are completely out of wack.  The test pattern from the printer and the profile targets look fine still, but actual prints look terrible like there is a profile mismatch. [...]

I installed the firmware update (4.0.0.6) and have had no problems. Can't remember if I re-calibrated and re-profiled, but probably (it's been a while).

Harald
Haraldo
aka Harald Johnson [url=http://w

ternst

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 06:44:26 am »

I had a weird profile issue come up after I installed the new firmware, although it did not happen until a week or so later so I don't know if it was related to the new firmware or not. All of a sudden two of the three papers I had profiled showed as being "obsolete" and I was forced to go through the paper calibration process again.

When I first got the printer last month I had some trouble uploading the new firmware from my computer to the printer, but finally got that to work OK. At the time I called HP support and they told me to NOT upgrade the firmware since the old one was fine and there would be a new one available in two weeks. No new firmware that I know of has been posted since. I was told that anytime I updated the firmware I would have to reprofile all of my papers - that seems like quite a pain and I'm not sure if that would be correct or not. I'm still waiting for the new firmware and hope it will fix a few issues...

ssphoto

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 07:22:16 pm »

Okay, just a quick note on the last post.  With my macbookpro today, the printer would still not print normal looking prints.  So I deleted all custom paper profiles I had created and uninstalled the software and drivers, and put the macbookpro away.  I then hooked up my older G4 Powerbook and installed the software and drivers on that and the printer seems to be working fine again.  However, after sucessfully profiling the HP ID Satin for the G4 Powerbook and making a few prints from CS2, I attempted to create a custom paper profile for Epson Premium Luster and the HP software continually returned that profiling failed / could not calibrate printer.  From what it appears, the firmware seems to be okay and the hardware of the printer seems fine.  However, from my experiences so far with both the macbookpro and with the powerbook, the software seems to be extremely buggy.  Anybody have any thoughts?
Pages: [1]   Go Up