Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 sheet feed  (Read 6996 times)

rdonson

Z3100 sheet feed
« on: January 22, 2007, 01:15:33 pm »

I'm considering the HP Z3100 and I was wondering how well it worked on sheets as well as rolls.  I can imagine myself wanting to feed it sheets of paper from time to time.
Regards,
Ron

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Z3100 sheet feed
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 01:41:21 pm »

I'm considering the HP Z3100 and I was wondering how well it worked on sheets as well as rolls.  I can imagine myself wanting to feed it sheets of paper from time to time.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97012\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Now I only speak for me.  I just checked your question. I printed some stuff on A4 and A3 and one A2 sheet. I had no problems with the feeding. I put it in the back, the printer moves it up front ( Coplains that it's not exactly right) I align it at the blue line. Finished. I think it works quite good. But also I don't even try to get the paper right from the feeding behind, because I think that is really difficult, but that doesn't really matter as long as you have these nice blue lines.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

deelight

• http://
Z3100 sheet feed
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 05:31:26 pm »

I'm considering the HP Z3100 and I was wondering how well it worked on sheets as well as rolls.  I can imagine myself wanting to feed it sheets of paper from time to time.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97012\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Christopher is right, feeding sheets is not the easiest thing but it works. The guys at HP could have done it better but it is not that bad as some of the folks on LL wrote.

If the sheet is not fed properly you align it and then usually it works.

Best,

Clem

ternst

Z3100 sheet feed
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 07:47:27 pm »

I guess my z is a lemon, or I am. My average time to load a sheet of 13x19 is about two minutes (or at least it was - I gave up long ago and only print from a roll now). I have not tired any larger sheets. I know that Jon Canfield has said he can only get the sheet to load correctly about half of the time, and Uwe Steinmueller made this note during his z review: "We most of the time use single sheets and don't recommend the "Easy Paper Feed" method as you may end up more often with skewed paper. The Z3100 checks for precise paper feed and does not tolerate skewed paper. Maybe in the future you will have an option for the printer to be more tolerant."

Come to think of it, my sheet-feed issues were with the firmware that shipped with the printer - I have not tried sheet feeding with the most recent firmware so I will give that a try and see if it goes any smoother. Although there are issues with the current firmware I've seen here - HP says another firmware update is coming "soon", but that was a month ago...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 09:39:43 pm by ternst »

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Z3100 sheet feed
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 05:45:01 am »

I guess my z is a lemon, or I am. My average time to load a sheet of 13x19 is about two minutes (or at least it was - I gave up long ago and only print from a roll now). I have not tired any larger sheets. I know that Jon Canfield has said he can only get the sheet to load correctly about half of the time, and Uwe Steinmueller made this note during his z review: "We most of the time use single sheets and don't recommend the "Easy Paper Feed" method as you may end up more often with skewed paper. The Z3100 checks for precise paper feed and does not tolerate skewed paper. Maybe in the future you will have an option for the printer to be more tolerant."

Come to think of it, my sheet-feed issues were with the firmware that shipped with the printer - I have not tried sheet feeding with the most recent firmware so I will give that a try and see if it goes any smoother. Although there are issues with the current firmware I've seen here - HP says another firmware update is coming "soon", but that was a month ago...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97085\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ok one more note from m part.  Yes it is really hard to feed the paper from the back and get it right. In think it only happens every 3 sheets here, BUT aligning on the blue line ( Front of the printer) is really easy and I never had to do it twice. So for me that way it works.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

ryanmfritz

Z3100 sheet feed
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 11:09:11 am »

Im running a z3100 on a  Mac OSX and when I try to print to sheet fed prints to the machine it always errors out and the panel reads something like "Load new Paper" or something similar. Even after Ive selected "Load Sheet" and get the sheet to load properly.

I would love to gather feedback from anyone else having this issue, as I have some spendy sheets just collecting dust now...

Ryan Fritz
FargoKids.com

Ernst Dinkla

Z3100 sheet feed
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 11:45:30 am »

Im running a z3100 on a  Mac OSX and when I try to print to sheet fed prints to the machine it always errors out and the panel reads something like "Load new Paper" or something similar. Even after Ive selected "Load Sheet" and get the sheet to load properly.

I would love to gather feedback from anyone else having this issue, as I have some spendy sheets just collecting dust now...

Ryan Fritz
FargoKids.com
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

With the latest firmware upgrade came the ragged edge mode for loading sheets. I use it all the time even for papers cut with a precise right angle. The process for feeding is as follows:

Push a button on the printer if it has been idle, it will get awake first. Then feed the sheet from behind. I never use the angled sheet feeding panel but keep the paper edge to the spindle side. It grabs the sheet, asks for the roll/sheet/paper type, then loads it up to the blue lines (then waits too long in my opinion) says: open the paper handle. You then align the paper and lower the handle and it accepts the paper always. Improvements would be: the menu asking if anything has changed to the last time you loaded paper: yes-no. And less time waiting when the sheet is brought to blue lines.

On the alignment: the sensor no longer checks for the skew at the front edge of the paper. It senses where the paper is at the right side (side where head is parked) and will start printing at approx. 4.25 mm from that side on my printer. It also senses where the front side of the paper is and start printing at a similar distance on my printer. I'm not sure where it measures that front side, either left or right or it takes the most protruding edge. Anyway there's no sense in adding tabs at the right side to align to, there's some sense in adding two tabs at the long blue line to align the front of the sheet parallel to the head movement. They will not influence the point where the print starts vertically though.

Ernst Dinkla

Try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

ryanmfritz

Z3100 sheet feed
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 05:05:16 pm »

Thank you for the reply - and that is a much better way to load than I have been. I will also have to look for the ragged edge mode.

I wasnt clear on my issue after re-reading my original post.

My error is coming AFTER I have the sheet fed properly. After the load, when Im trying to print CS# or my HP utility cannot sense the paper type when I have a sheet fed into the printer. So the print usually errors out if it cant sense what paper has been sheet fed.

do I need to close the paper feed panel in the back? Maybe loading the sheet in the through where the roll would go will help...thank you

With the latest firmware upgrade came the ragged edge mode for loading sheets. I use it all the time even for papers cut with a precise right angle. The process for feeding is as follows:

Push a button on the printer if it has been idle, it will get awake first. Then feed the sheet from behind. I never use the angled sheet feeding panel but keep the paper edge to the spindle side. It grabs the sheet, asks for the roll/sheet/paper type, then loads it up to the blue lines (then waits too long in my opinion) says: open the paper handle. You then align the paper and lower the handle and it accepts the paper always. Improvements would be: the menu asking if anything has changed to the last time you loaded paper: yes-no. And less time waiting when the sheet is brought to blue lines.

On the alignment: the sensor no longer checks for the skew at the front edge of the paper. It senses where the paper is at the right side (side where head is parked) and will start printing at approx. 4.25 mm from that side on my printer. It also senses where the front side of the paper is and start printing at a similar distance on my printer. I'm not sure where it measures that front side, either left or right or it takes the most protruding edge. Anyway there's no sense in adding tabs at the right side to align to, there's some sense in adding two tabs at the long blue line to align the front of the sheet parallel to the head movement. They will not influence the point where the print starts vertically though.
Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200920\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dward

Z3100 sheet feed
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 09:26:42 pm »

Im running a z3100 on a  Mac OSX and when I try to print to sheet fed prints to the machine it always errors out and the panel reads something like "Load new Paper" or something similar. Even after Ive selected "Load Sheet" and get the sheet to load properly.

Ryan Fritz
FargoKids.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200911\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This MAY be relevant to your experience.  When you choose the paper size from the page setup menu, you have to choose from the fly-out menu whether you're using sheet or roll media.  If, for example, you choose "A3" from the pull down menu, this defaults to a choice of roll.  If you want A3 on sheet media, you have to use the fly-out menu and specify "A3 on sheet media".  A few times when I've been in a hurry, I've chosen the paper size in Page Setup without specifying sheet media, in which case when I tell the printer I'm loading sheet media and put a sheet in, the print job fails and I get the message "load roll for next job".   Perhaps this is what's happening in your case.

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
www.dvward.com
David V. Ward Fine Art Photography

Ernst Dinkla

Z3100 sheet feed
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 03:23:43 am »

My error is coming AFTER I have the sheet fed properly. After the load, when Im trying to print CS# or my HP utility cannot sense the paper type when I have a sheet fed into the printer. So the print usually errors out if it cant sense what paper has been sheet fed.

do I need to close the paper feed panel in the back? Maybe loading the sheet in the through where the roll would go will help...thank you
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

On loading the printer asks for the media specs: roll/sheet and type of media. That more or less rules the printer menu afterwards. Either those choices are represented automatically in the printer menu choices on your computer or you have to set them accordingly. If they do not correspond at printing time the job will not run.

David mentioned the different A3 choices. I usually avoid any default print page size and create a custom size always called -custom- that replaces the one created before. The paper setting page in the driver menu gives the data of the printer measured roll width or the sheet width and length (in ragged mode loading the length isn't measured and the printer gives a highly overrated length guess). With sheet feeding a bit more paper is lost at the end of the sheet so a shorter print page is created than with roll feeding. You get used to it.

The feed panel has no influence on this. I thought you had difficulty to get the sheet aligned when loading and on that it could have an influence. At least I find it easier not to use the feed panel.

Ernst Dinkla

Try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

William Morse

• http://https://MorseEditions.com
Z3100 sheet feed
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 04:07:54 pm »

Hi Ernst-

Maybe I've missed something, but where do you choose the "ragged" mode?

Thanks, Bill

On loading the printer asks for the media specs: roll/sheet and type of media. That more or less rules the printer menu afterwards. Either those choices are represented automatically in the printer menu choices on your computer or you have to set them accordingly. If they do not correspond at printing time the job will not run.

David mentioned the different A3 choices. I usually avoid any default print page size and create a custom size always called -custom- that replaces the one created before. The paper setting page in the driver menu gives the data of the printer measured roll width or the sheet width and length (in ragged mode loading the length isn't measured and the printer gives a highly overrated length guess). With sheet feeding a bit more paper is lost at the end of the sheet so a shorter print page is created than with roll feeding. You get used to it.

The feed panel has no influence on this. I thought you had difficulty to get the sheet aligned when loading and on that it could have an influence. At least I find it easier not to use the feed panel.
Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201072\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Wm. Morse Editions
A Fine-Art Digital Pr

NYARMAK

Re: Z3100 sheet feed
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 07:23:58 pm »

Im running a z3100 on a  Mac OSX and when I try to print to sheet fed prints to the machine it always errors out and the panel reads something like "Load new Paper" or something similar. Even after Ive selected "Load Sheet" and get the sheet to load properly.

Ryan Fritz
FargoKids.com

Did you ever get this problem solved?  I have had this problem also and do not know what to do. (I also run a MAC. Is that the problem?) No one seemed to help you out with your question.
Thanks for any help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up