Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Restoration  (Read 2631 times)

Hank

Digital Restoration
« on: January 20, 2007, 11:30:22 am »

Thanks for the heads up on Ctein's new book, Michael.  He certainly is the "real deal" and his writings are always so well done.

I'll go one step further than you in describing the need.  Most of us have extensive files of chromes.  Over and above heirloom prints, at some point all of us are going to be doing restorations on those.  

Whatever has been pundized and pontified about the storage life of properly stored chromes, I think the manufacturers have been overly optimistic.  We recently contracted to "clean up" and produce digital files from historic chromes from the early 60's through the late 70's.  They had been stored in a musuem in proper sleeves and cabinets with controlled temp and atmosphere, yet all showed fading and color shifts without regard for brand or variety.  Judging by the slide mounts, they had been processed by Kodak, too. Good for our bottom line but the owner was none too happy, either with the condition of his images or our bill.

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
Digital Restoration
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 03:33:08 pm »

Quote from: Hank,Jan 20 2007, 04:30 PM
"Thanks for the heads up on Ctein's new book, Michael.  He certainly is the "real deal" and his writings are always so well done."

I'll second that. Reviews of good books is an important function of this site. I would mention that on this topic I have gained much very useful information from Katrin Eismann's "Photoshop Restoration & Retouching" (Third Edition).

Of the old "chromes " Kodachrome holds up reasonably well . Of the others E6 films are better than E4 or E3. Fuji seem a little better than Kodak. Agfachrome , Ferrania and a lot of others were not too hot at all. The same general trend follows with colour prints. It's astonishing the degree of restoration possible with digital technology as shown by Eismann and Ctein.
Cheers,
Brian,
www.pharoseditions.com.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up