Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPF5000 Questions  (Read 4077 times)

Ed Dubois

iPF5000 Questions
« on: January 19, 2007, 06:57:51 pm »

Well it got here a couple of days ago and after the expected frustrations of getting it up and running I really like the quality of the prints. I am puzzled about the paper type and feed though.

When I load Iford Smooth Pearl and use the semi-gloss setting on the printer it tells me I can't use the cassette, regardless of the size of paper I load. I tried both 13X19 (ANSI B Super) and 8.5x11 (ANSI letter). When I tried to print either from the cassette the printer would tell me it couldn't be done.

When I tried to load a single sheet through the tray the printer kept telling me the paper was mis-aligned and to remove the paper so that wasn't so satisfactory either.

Then I went back to the cassette, put in Special 1 and it would let me print that paper from the cassette.  Obviously the software designers have come to the conclusion that semi-gloss paper should only be printed one sheet at a time through the tray. This logic leaves me completely puzzled.

I spent some time on the phone with Brian at Color HQ who did what he could to help me through the problem. We finally resolved to call Canon Industrial service but I haven't been able to get through - maybe their phone number when called from Canada goes to a full mail box - still working on that one.

In the meantime I took out the standard tray loader and installed the roll feeder. I then tried to put through a single sheet and it kept telling me the roll feed was empty. Took the roller out of the feeder and tried again and it worked fine finally.

Then put some letter sized in the cassette and printed that way using Special 1 again (remember that semi-gloss can't be fed from the cassette?!?). This time the printer kept telling me I had the wrong media type but printed anyway and the prints were just fine.

I don't know if anyone has any work-arounds for this or if this is just another of the seemingly many quirks the software/firmware with this printer has. I do get the sense that the programmers and techies were left on their own to develop this system and didn't actually have to deal with any end users. Frustrating but the prints are great.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Forgot to add the GARO (who came up with that name?) is version 1.13 and the driver is version 1.10 MCD (on the disk) but 3.01 on the software.

John Hollenberg

iPF5000 Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 07:18:48 pm »

Ed,

Yes, there are still a lot of problems with the software.  However, the solution to your immediate problem should be (fingers crossed) to select Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss.  If you have instead been using Semi-Glossy Photo Paper, that is the wrong setting for sheets in the Cassette.  Special 1 will lay down less (probably too little) ink for optimal results with this type of paper.

PS This info is in the FAQ on the IPF5000 Wiki:

http://www.canonipf5000.wikispaces.com

--John

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
iPF5000 Questions
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 08:51:20 pm »

The cassette, tray and roller feed are all media specific. The driver settings for different papers are listed on a file included on the install CD called IPF5000 Media Guide. The feed selection button on the printer must be changed for tray feed. The selection light (on left) for auto feed is for cassette and roll while the light on the right is for tray feed. There should have been no reason to remove the roll feeder to use the tray. Just flip up the roll feeder cover and adjust the slider to the paper size.
Gerald J Skrocki

Ed Dubois

iPF5000 Questions
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 11:22:17 am »

Thanks John and Jerry.

I have looked through the Wiki more than once but there's so much info there now I obviously overlooked this point.

The results from this printer are very satisfactory and I'm sure that like the rest of you I'll gradually figure out the quirks in the software to do what I need.

Has anyone heard anything official from Canon about dealing with the issues that have been identified? I remember that the Wiki and other info was given to Chuck Westfall and that he passed it on but I haven't heard a word about it since then.

Once again my thanks and great appreciation for all the work you've put into the Wiki John - it's a real lifesaver (even if I do miss stuff  )

John Hollenberg

iPF5000 Questions
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 06:03:01 pm »

Ed,

No problem.  Having built the Wiki, it is easy for me to know what is in it.  With over 100 FAQ there is a bit to sort through.  One of the reasons I kept the FAQ all on one page is that you can easily do a search in your browser.

I certainly hope that the stuff listed in the Wiki makes some sort of impact on Canon.  There is no evidence so far that it has.

--John

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
iPF5000 Questions
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 02:36:45 pm »

I thought I read someplace (probably here) that new IPF5000's were shipping with a different firmware release.

Ed Dubois

iPF5000 Questions
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 03:22:42 pm »

I thought I read someplace (probably here) that new IPF5000's were shipping with a different firmware release.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=96854\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think I have the newest release John but I could be wrong. There are still quite a few bugs/quirks/idiosyncracies in the software as far as I can tell.

John Hollenberg

iPF5000 Questions
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 03:42:25 pm »

Yes, the current ones are being delivered with 1.12 or 1.13 (mine had 1.08 when I got it).  However, none of the known bugs were fixed with this firmware version.  I know, because I loaded it, along with the plugin and driver updates from Canon Europe.  

We only have translated Japanese to go by (since Canon USA has not seen fit to put the firmware on their site, although it was released by Canon Japan one month ago) so it is hard to tell what has changed.  The most significant change seems to be a new menu option on the printer LCD menu called added "TrimEdge Reload".  We believe it either just trims the edge to make it square, or trims off the printed barcode (not sure which) when paper is reloaded.

The most troublesome bug is banding in the trailing inch of images printed from the Cassette.  While subtle, I noticed it immediately when I printed.  This is mainly a problem with letter size paper, since larger sheets are likely to have a one inch margin so the problem will not be manifested.   Some people say they don't have the banding, but my guess is that they just aren't looking at the right kind of image to see it.  To that end, I have created a Banding Test File so there is a standard file used for testing.  Referenced in this thread on the IPF5000 Wiki:

http://canonipf5000.wikispaces.com/message/view/FAQ/231558

Anyone who wants to test a file known to produce banding (on my printer anyway :-) can download the file and run the test.  Exact directions are included so that any possible variables which might affect the result are standardized.  Please only download the file if you plan to test and report back, since the bandwidth of the web site I put the file on is limited to 20 GB per month (file is 50 MB zip).

--John

macaddicted

iPF5000 Questions
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 10:52:15 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=96854\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just received mine and it has 1.13.
Pages: [1]   Go Up