Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Banding on the 2400, what is it? help?  (Read 5004 times)

kevs

Banding on the 2400, what is it? help?
« on: January 18, 2007, 02:53:25 pm »

I've posted this before and still have no good answer.

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/1368/wh...sproblemst9.jpg

I getting these white lines, ruining a lot of prints and ink.
I"m on 2400. epson enhanced matte
It's not nozzle or alignment. I've tried those multiple times. nozzle pattern is fine.

These lines come on different files, and in different places, and is intermittant.

The closest anyone has come, is one guy says it could because I'm using paper that is a few months old, and that paper gets moisture in different part of the paper. it's seems bizarre to me, the suggestion that paper could could create this because its a few months old, but nobody yet has offered anything better. nobody has said, "yeah, recognize that, this it the problem..."

thanks for help!
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 03:53:59 pm »

Presuming the marks are longitudinal i.e. up and down it looks like just inked paper may be hitting something. Has the paper got a buckle to it? What happens on other papers?
I have seen this sort of thing being fixed with greater vacuum, but that may not be possible on your printer. I doubt the moisture hypothesis.
Brian
www.pharoseditions.com.au

kevs

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 09:44:12 pm »

sorry Brian, it's with different papers, brand new. from different boxes, don't understand buckle

Pete JF

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 11:50:22 pm »

you need to clarify whether or not those marks are runnung perpendicular  to the path (crossing) of the print heads or on the same line (parallel) as the path of the print heads

Buckle=Bent, Curved.Sticking up

It's hard to tell from your scan of the image because we have no idea of the scale (size) of these things...are you zoomed in on a small area of a large print?

They sort of resemble a "head strike"..where the print heads are actually hitting the paper. Usually because of what Brian referred to as a "buckle", in other words...your paper is bent upward and the print heads are striking the paper.

kevs

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 10:18:06 pm »

Sorry JP, I don't know anything about the printhead, never even looked at it, so cant say, but I will say with both vertical and horizontal shots, the lines run vertical.

People are saying head strike?
is this odd for printer that's only printed a hundred sheets or so?
Can I solve this?

Richowens

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 11:20:41 pm »

kevs,

As I said in your other thread, I do not think this is a printer problem. Your statement that the lines are vertical in both portrait and landscape orientation bears this out. The paper goes through the printer the same way whether the photo is portrait or landscape. If it was a head strike the lines would always be across the narrow dimension of the sheet. A nozzle clog will run across the sheet. Alignment will give you blurry output.

I have used Epson printers for about ten years now and I think I have seen most of the common things that can go wrong mechanically.

My thinking is that the defect is in the file before it gets to the printer.
You did not say what application you are printing from or whether you are on a Mac or PC or what OS you are using.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer driver? Have you run a virus check?Have you recently installed any other software? Are you using a RIP such as Quadtone for your b&w? Does this happen with color files as well?

I know, many questions and too few answers, but more info is needed. With more info we may be able to narrow this down.

Rich

kevs

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 09:40:09 pm »

Rich:
NOt in file! It's happeing with multiple files, all which don't show anything approacting these lines.
Mac os 10.4

virus,,, no chance.
its the printer.

yes color and BW

Richowens

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 11:11:19 pm »

kevs,

I AM trying to help you with some very pertinent questions based on my experience!
When I said the problem is in the file, I should have stated that differently. I feel the problem is occuring before the file reaches the printer. I still do not think it is the printer mechanics since the lines occur in different orientations on the page.

You didn't answer all the questions from my previous post.

What application are you printing from? Photoshop? Elements?

Do you have a PPC Mac or Intel Mac?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer driver?

Did you know that Epson has an updated driver for PPC Mac dated 12-06? Since this is the latest and greatest, I would do this first. If your current driver is corrupted this will take care of that problem.

Epson has had problems with Mac drivers before.

If you want to work with me, I will give you all the help I can, but I need answers.
If you don't understand the question, just ask.

Rich

kevs

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 04:22:36 pm »

not a software issue, it the platen head striking the paper. also, not printing in PS, using colorbyte RIP

Jonathan Ratzlaff

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 11:56:39 pm »

It doesn't look like what you would get with the printer head striking the printer. That would give you horizontal lines.  There is something affecting the way the ink is being laid down and it could be the printer driver.  

You say you are using colourbyte RIP.  does it do this if you are using the epson printer driver and printing from Photoshop?  
If you get similar problems then I would suspect there is something wrong with the printer and the way it receives information from the computer.  If you don't get the banding, with the other printer driver there is something wrong with RIP and you should reinstall it.

kevs

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 10:21:09 pm »

could be a lot of things Jon............

daws

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 12:36:27 am »

Kevs, I've gotten the same marks on my 2400, in a long row identical to yours -- however the row is always oriented parallel to the paper path (rotate your jpeg 90 degrees counterclockwise and you'll see exactly what I see as the sheet leaves the printer).

Under a loupe the paper appears to have been gouged or scraped, by what I assume is a roller or some part of the printer head. I'm guessing it's more likely the head scraping the paper: I've found tiny, loose flecks of inked paper debris scattered near the marks.  

The marks only appear when I run heavy paper (285 and 300 gsm) through the rear or front sheet feeder and cheat the profile to allow Photo RPM resolution. Using the correct profile and lowering the res to Best Photo solved the problem for me.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 01:47:00 am by daws »
Pages: [1]   Go Up