Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thunder Bay??  (Read 3597 times)

citizenjoe

• Antarctica 2016
    • www.HughConacher.com
Thunder Bay??
« on: January 18, 2007, 02:16:23 pm »

Hello,

I'm in Thunder Bay, Ontario for the next week or so.  It's very beautiful country and I wonder if anyone has any specific spots of scenic beauty that they would recommend?  Thankfully, sunrise is at 9 AM right now and the views over the lake are wonderful!  Anyway, if any of you have any favorate places that you would be willing to share, I would be grateful.

Cheers,
Hugh
Hugh, from Winnipeg.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Thunder Bay??
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 09:49:45 pm »

Ouimet Canyon is about 60 km back from Thunder Bay toward Nipigon.  If you're going that way you might go all the way to Red Rock and the lighthouse.  Kakabeka Falls is about 30 km the other way.  In the city itself... depends on what you're looking for.  You might try the docks and area.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

citizenjoe

• Antarctica 2016
    • www.HughConacher.com
Thunder Bay??
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 07:31:02 pm »

Ouimet Canyon is about 60 km back from Thunder Bay toward Nipigon.  If you're going that way you might go all the way to Red Rock and the lighthouse.  Kakabeka Falls is about 30 km the other way.  In the city itself... depends on what you're looking for.  You might try the docks and area.

Mike.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=96515\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for your thoughts, Mike.  Didn't think of Ouimet Canyon - that's a great idea.  I've been to Kakabeka several times in the past and we're headed out there again tomorrow.  It's a pretty part of the world, that's for sure!

Cheers,
Hugh
Hugh, from Winnipeg.

larkvi

• http://www.larkvi.com
Thunder Bay??
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 10:31:05 pm »

I am a fan of Pukaskwa NP, which has a limited number of very short trails along the coast of Lake Superior. I can't say that I have ever been there in the Winter, so I can't provide much perspective, but I have seen some very nice images by a local photographer which suggest to me that it has potential in any season.

I think it's three hours from Thunder Bay(?--I usually turn around that point and go back to Toronto--the one time I drove through Manitoba, I went through Michigan to get back into Ontario.)
-Sean [ we

johnsowt

Thunder Bay??
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 01:16:57 pm »

You might want to make a trip to Sleeping Giant Provincial Park.  It’s not to far from the city.  I would highly recommend hiking up the Chimney.  I've camped all over Ontario and this is still one of my favorite spots.

Wes

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Thunder Bay??
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 07:17:06 pm »

And look for the old mine while you're there... old legend...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

citizenjoe

• Antarctica 2016
    • www.HughConacher.com
Thunder Bay??
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 02:37:10 pm »

Thanks for all the great ideas!  I tried getting up Mt. McKay on Sunday, but it's too dangerous in the winter I found.  I'm guessing that the Chimney might be the same.  I've never heard of Pukaskwa and I'll look into it.  Kakabeka Falls was frozen solid and absolutely spectacular.  There was very small cracks in the ice where the water would gush through.  Animal tracks going down the ice face of the falls...  Very beautiful.

Cheers,
Hugh
Hugh, from Winnipeg.
Pages: [1]   Go Up