Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to buy a Z3100  (Read 5031 times)

Tom.D.Arch

How to buy a Z3100
« on: January 18, 2007, 01:26:44 am »

I'll be buying a Z3100 pretty soon, but actually buying one is, of course, a bit more difficult than going down to CompUSA and picking a box off the shelf.  

Buying directly from HP is an option, except for the fact that they seem to be perpetually out of stock.  Interestingly, while you can buy a roughly US$20,000 printer through their web store, you can't seem to order the Z3100.  The HP sales guy I talked with didn't seem to know when they would be back in stock.  He promoted the idea that buying from HP would mean good support.  (But doesn't HP provide support, wether or not you buy directly from them?)

On this and other forums, folks talk about their local dealers.  I assume that the price would be higher, but the dealer is the first line of support.  As our first large format plotter, support sounds like a good idea.  You would think that as the third largest city in the US, I'd be tripping over dealers in the Chicago area, but the HP large format (mostly technical/CAD) dealers whom I've contacted aren't carrying the Z series.  (I'd love to get some recommendations, if anyone can suggest a Chicago-area dealer.)

(Of course the seemingly 'cheapest' option would be some 'box pusher' web site - I've seen them listed as in stock, free shipping and under US$6,000 with free shipping.  But, obviously, there would be zero support from these online retailers.)

So what have folks here found to be the best option?

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
How to buy a Z3100
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 05:14:20 am »

I'll be buying a Z3100 pretty soon, but actually buying one is, of course, a bit more difficult than going down to CompUSA and picking a box off the shelf. 

Buying directly from HP is an option, except for the fact that they seem to be perpetually out of stock.  Interestingly, while you can buy a roughly US$20,000 printer through their web store, you can't seem to order the Z3100.  The HP sales guy I talked with didn't seem to know when they would be back in stock.  He promoted the idea that buying from HP would mean good support.  (But doesn't HP provide support, wether or not you buy directly from them?)

On this and other forums, folks talk about their local dealers.  I assume that the price would be higher, but the dealer is the first line of support.  As our first large format plotter, support sounds like a good idea.  You would think that as the third largest city in the US, I'd be tripping over dealers in the Chicago area, but the HP large format (mostly technical/CAD) dealers whom I've contacted aren't carrying the Z series.  (I'd love to get some recommendations, if anyone can suggest a Chicago-area dealer.)

(Of course the seemingly 'cheapest' option would be some 'box pusher' web site - I've seen them listed as in stock, free shipping and under US$6,000 with free shipping.  But, obviously, there would be zero support from these online retailers.)

So what have folks here found to be the best option?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=96303\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As you call it I got mine from a "box pusher" why ? Becaue it was nearly 1500 EUR cheaper compared to the HP shop. I also don't need the support from the shop. If I need support than I contact HP dircetly, and with such an expensive printer they normally really don't care to much from where you got it from as long as you have the gurantee card.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Doyle Yoder

How to buy a Z3100
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 07:59:10 am »

Those of us with a Tech Data wholesale account should be able to get you one. They list 5 available right now.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
How to buy a Z3100
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 01:06:47 pm »

I mentioned it here, but you might want to wait a couple of weeks for the trade in offer from HP to kick in.  Their marketing manager told me that they will be offering $1000 off, plus free supplies on the 44" model if you have a serial number for another wide format printer.  They are offering the same deal with $500 off for the 24" model.  It sounds too good to pass up to me.  Now if I could only find a similar deal on Imageprint . . .
-Ron
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Tom.D.Arch

How to buy a Z3100
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 11:56:04 am »

Ron - thanks for the reminder.  I've been trying to think of how I could track down a 'scrapped' plotter to take advantage of this deal.  (This will be our first LF plotter, so we don't currently have a device to 'laterally upgrade'   )

What I am asking is "why should I buy the printer from HP/a dealer/a low-cost website?"

What sort of experiences have users here had with these different routes?  Why do you buy your printer(s) the way that you have?

dkeyes

• http://
How to buy a Z3100
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 04:13:15 am »

Tom,
I live in the Seattle area and I just ordered a 3100 44" from a dealer in the area. I'm paying close to the full street price $6295, but I believe it's worth it since they will deliver and set up for free. Not to mention I can call them for troubleshooting anytime. For such an expensive and complicated piece of equipment it's not worth a couple hundred bucks to gamble on an online merchant. By the way, the shipping weight of this beast is 275lbs, not something you can move in and set up on your own.
JVH Technical http://www.jvhtech.com is the name of the place here. Ironically, it's being shipped from your area (Chicago). Good luck with finding a printer.

Tom.D.Arch

How to buy a Z3100
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 01:26:15 pm »

Thanks!  I check them out!

By the way, the shipping weight of this beast is 275lbs, not something you can move in and set up on your own.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=96812\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For what it's worth, I've received and set up woodworking equipment, so a few hundred pounds of equipment (that ships/arrives with a cast iron top down, no less!) is pretty familiar.  And for anyone who thinks that woodworking equipment is crude, modern equipment has to be precisely leveled and is set up with tolerances of a few thousandths of an inch!

For anyone who bought it without setup from a dealer, did you have to make arrangements for a lift gate on the delivery truck?  (When you order heavy equipment like a large table saw, most trucking services default to 'driver will move item to back of truck, but will not help get it down to street level.  If you want a lift gate truck, you have to ask for it and pay extra.'  I imagine that this could be an issue with something as big/heavy as the Z series 44")

As long as the delivery service will get it off the truck and hand-truck the device onto the freight elevator, I'll be fine...

dkeyes

How to buy a Z3100
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 02:25:40 am »

Thanks!  I check them out!
For what it's worth, I've received and set up woodworking equipment, so a few hundred pounds of equipment (that ships/arrives with a cast iron top down, no less!) is pretty familiar.  And for anyone who thinks that woodworking equipment is crude, modern equipment has to be precisely leveled and is set up with tolerances of a few thousandths of an inch!

For anyone who bought it without setup from a dealer, did you have to make arrangements for a lift gate on the delivery truck?  (When you order heavy equipment like a large table saw, most trucking services default to 'driver will move item to back of truck, but will not help get it down to street level.  If you want a lift gate truck, you have to ask for it and pay extra.'  I imagine that this could be an issue with something as big/heavy as the Z series 44")

As long as the delivery service will get it off the truck and hand-truck the device onto the freight elevator, I'll be fine...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=96847\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tom,
Recieved my printer last week via truck with liftgate. You will definitely need the liftgate unless you have a loading dock and several moving dollies to put under the printer. The whole package was on a pallet and took the two of us to slide it off the truck. Definitely too heavy (and big) to move without unpacking first. Also takes two people to move and mount on the stand.

inkwelleditions

How to buy a Z3100
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 09:33:53 pm »

Tom,

I've had this printer in our offices for testing for over a month now we've had a chance to really put it through it's paces. So far were very impressed with the technology.  We are HP resellers and would be happy to supply you with a printer, as well as support, however we are in SF bay area. Regardless, please feel free to drop me an email, I'd be happy to answer any questions you had about the printer.
     I'm posting some quicktime gamut comparisons on our website, they should be up by next week, that you might find interesting as well.

Julian Mussi

julian@spectraflow.com
www.spectraflow.com

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
How to buy a Z3100
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 01:32:54 pm »

Some nice rebates just started:  HP Z-Series Rebates
Pages: [1]   Go Up