Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wide angle lens for Canon 20D  (Read 6957 times)

joel_woodward

Wide angle lens for Canon 20D
« on: January 18, 2007, 01:21:47 am »

I'm in the process or selecting a wide angle lens for my 20D.  Does anyone have strong opinions about the Canon EF-S 10-22mm versus the Tamron 11-18mm, or Sigma 10-20mm  equivalents?  I've found some '05 posts on the topic.  I've read several review but can't find a comparision of the Canon lens vs the others.  While price is a consideration it's not the primary one.  I am will to spend the money to buy any of the 4.

I have 20D imager dust issues so at some time will upgrade to whatever the 30D replacement is...providing it has better anti-dust capability.

Thanks,

Joel

Giedo

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 03:34:10 am »

I own the Canon lens. It is very sharp, very well built and shows low distortion.
Look at the reviews section of Photozone for a comparison of the lenses you mention.
Giedo

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 10:00:23 am »

I own the sigma and think less of it than most of the review sites - would go with Canon next time.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 10:10:58 am »

When I was tackling with the same question I found a few side-by-side comparisons by googling. I ended with the Sigma and love it. I came to the conclusion - as most reviewers had - that the drastically higher price for the Canon wasn't worth the moderate increase in quality. Lens distortion at the widest setting with the Sigma is a bit too much, but otherwise it's a fine lens, especially for its price. Build quality is excellent, it handles well and it's compact.

joel_woodward

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 08:42:46 pm »

Thanks.  Good technical reviews.

I'm in the process or selecting a wide angle lens for my 20D.  Does anyone have strong opinions about the Canon EF-S 10-22mm versus the Tamron 11-18mm, or Sigma 10-20mm  equivalents?  I've found some '05 posts on the topic.  I've read several review but can't find a comparision of the Canon lens vs the others.  While price is a consideration it's not the primary one.  I am will to spend the money to buy any of the 4.

I have 20D imager dust issues so at some time will upgrade to whatever the 30D replacement is...providing it has better anti-dust capability.

Thanks,

Joel
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=96300\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up