Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 1Ds what speed of CF card and general advice  (Read 3174 times)

dhansak79

Canon 1Ds what speed of CF card and general advice
« on: January 17, 2007, 02:44:58 am »

I just got my Canon 1Ds (mk 1) yesterday and was messing about with it last night using a 40x 4GB CF card.  I also own a couple of 2GB Sandisk Ultra II cards which are rated 60x I believe although I can't find a definitive answer on this.

The reason I'm writing is that it seems access to the card for previewing images as well as writing them once taken is quite a bit slower than it was on my 350D, understandable you might say due to the larger image size on the 1Ds.  I am shooting RAW and RAW only by the way.

Will buying a faster card help with this situation or is is an attribute of the camera?  I am happy to buy a faster card but don't want to shell out the extra cash if it's the camera causing the delay as opposed to the card.

I look forward to your advice.

Also any other general advice on the 1Ds would be greatfully received.

I now have:
Canon 1Ds mk1
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L
Canon EF 300mm f/4 L IS

Would like to add either a 50mm f/1.4 or 85mm f/1.8 to my kit for shooting  at gigs (advice appreciated on this too).

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

francois

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 03:26:36 am »

Daniel,
Go to Rob Galbraith website. There's a huge database of CF cards and their speed on different DLSRs.

Performances on a 1Ds

You'll notice that speed is quite slow and doesn't change much from the fastest to the slowest... So the 1Ds (Mk 1) doesn't seem to take advantage of very fast memory cards.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 03:27:13 am by francois »
Francois

dhansak79

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 05:37:15 am »

Daniel,
Go to Rob Galbraith website. There's a huge database of CF cards and their speed on different DLSRs.

Performances on a 1Ds

You'll notice that speed is quite slow and doesn't change much from the fastest to the slowest... So the 1Ds (Mk 1) doesn't seem to take advantage of very fast memory cards.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=96124\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Superb, thank you very much.  That's excellent!

Paul Kay

• http://
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 05:55:27 am »

I use 1DS (MkIs) and have 40x 80x and 133x cards. My empirical experience is that there is little difference between these in terms of write/review times and I've never found this to be a real problem (although I do appreciate that there are circumstances when it certainly could be). However the good news is that 40x cards are now extremely cheap and I can see ending up with enough to not have to worry about ever running out of CF card space.

francois

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 06:02:58 am »

I'd like to add that while you won't see much performance gain on your 1Ds with the fastest CF cards, download speed to your computer will be improved - provided you use a high performance card reader. For some high-volume shooters it might be important.
Francois

dhansak79

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 06:29:18 am »

I'd like to add that while you won't see much performance gain on your 1Ds with the fastest CF cards, download speed to your computer will be improved - provided you use a high performance card reader. For some high-volume shooters it might be important.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=96142\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah agreed although a couple of minutes here or there when I get home isn't an issue.  By the looks of that site the cards I use (2GB Sandisk Ultra II) are about the fastest anyway in the camera.
Pages: [1]   Go Up