Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you order your Images ?  (Read 1814 times)

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
How do you order your Images ?
« on: January 16, 2007, 06:20:21 pm »

Ok let me start. I have a problem. ;-)  I don't really know who to order and store my imaghes anymore.

Until know I used just locations. So something like: 1DsMk2-->Germany-->Munich-->English_Garden

Now that I have three cameras + scanned slides: 1DsMk2, 5D, leica M8 and scanned images. I don't want to have 4 main groups of cameras.

So I thought of changing it like that:

Travel&landscape
Wildlfie
Sports
Events

Now I have other questions. Do you group in years ? I mean I think it is helpful, but there to put the year ?

landscape-->2006-->Thailand-->Krabi or landscape-->Thailand-->Krabi-->2006 ??

Who do you do it ? I just want to collect some iformation.

Sorry if that is the wrong place, but I couldn't find any more specific forum part.

Christopher
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

jliechty

How do you order your Images ?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 06:55:30 pm »

Now I have other questions. Do you group in years ? I mean I think it is helpful, but there to put the year ?

landscape-->2006-->Thailand-->Krabi or landscape-->Thailand-->Krabi-->2006 ??

Who do you do it ? I just want to collect some iformation.

Sorry if that is the wrong place, but I couldn't find any more specific forum part.

Christopher
I've recently read the "DAM book", a book about "digital asset management," or in other words, organizing your photos. It's a good resource, even if you don't entirely agree with what he says, or plan on totally implementing his methods.

The file structure that I've used is not exactly like the one he recommends, but regardless of exactly how you set up your folders, it's important to keep in mind that the most flexible structure does not tie a folder of photos under a category that not all of them may be related to. What if you shoot an event where you take mostly pictures of that event, but also grab a few nature closeups of the flowers by the front door? What if you used multiple cameras at that event?

Some better methods of folder organization would be to use backup-media-sized "buckets" (a la Peter Krogh) or year-month (e.g. 2007-01) top-level subfolders. Underneath these top folders, make folders for each shoot (use database style dates, e.g. 20070116, or YYYYMMDD, so they'll sort in order, and add the shoot description after the date).

With this done, it's up to you to use a system like Adobe Bridge or iView MediaPro to catalog and tag the files so you can find them quickly and efficiently.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 06:56:09 pm by jliechty »
Pages: [1]   Go Up