Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Canon 5D died on my after 20 mins in the rain  (Read 10210 times)

dseelig

New Canon 5D died on my after 20 mins in the rain
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2007, 04:32:04 pm »

WE buy 3 thousand dollar cameras and put them in the rain with no protection. Go and buy the aquatec rain gear and save your investmensts.
I know of two episodes of temporary failure with a 5D due to drizzle and rain.

My experience was two weekends ago in Missouri, when I was out of doors shooting in the drizzling rain in sub-freezing temperatures.  I did not leave the camera out in the rain, except only briefly enough to make the exposure and then back inside my car.  After a few hours and about 30-40 frames I began to see severe vignetting on two corners only of the image - this vignetting was recorded in the RAW files and was NOT seen through the lens!  After drying the camera out overnight, it was back in action without the vignetting.   I was shooting with a 24-105 f4 IS L  and it remained clear without any fogging, and any lens vignetting would involve all four corners, and be MUCH less subtle than what I experienced - about 25% of the frame areas on two corners diagonally were completely black. 

A friend of mine, John Ruttenberg, was shooting in the rain with his 5D last winter, and it ultimately quit working entirely with a very distorted appearance to some image frames before quitting.  Again, a thorough drying out overnight, and it resumed working properly.  It seems to have suffered no long term defects as he is still using it to shoot the Boston Ballet company.

I was aware of John's story, so I was trying to be rather careful with my 5D, and did not treat it any differently than I have treated my 20D.  But my 20D never quit like that.  I should have taken my 1DsMkll, but did not need files that large, nor a camera that heavy that weekend, and when I left for Missouri it had not started raining.

So my experience is that the 5D really does not fare well in cold, wet weather.  It is a great camera and works very nicely when used properly, but it will not tolerate very much cold, damp weather.  I'll use my 1series body in a similar weather next time.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97561\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up