Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPF5000 Not Loading Hahn. Photo Rag 308  (Read 3228 times)

jbn

iPF5000 Not Loading Hahn. Photo Rag 308
« on: January 16, 2007, 12:11:09 am »

I have been trying unsuccessfully for the last 3 hours to load 11x17" sheets of Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308 in my Canon iPF 5000.  Not a single load. Not ONCE!!!  The closest I have gotten is a paper jam and a "skew" error.  

Cassett Problem:
Tried loading just one, or 5, or 10, or 20.
Paper would take in, and then jam.  I would have to open up the back manually and take it out each time.  I tried telling the printer to use maximum suction, but that didn't do anything.

Tray Problem:
First it wouldn't even go in the printer at all, just sit there, and I'd get a paper jam(which requires over a minute to press two different buttons and wait for it to reset, very annoying).
I read someone tried pushing down on the paper (made sense, I've done this with epson's manual feeds from time to time).  The first time I tried it, it finally took in the paper in, took a few seconds to settle down, and then got a paper "skew" warning.  Never again could I even get close to that step.

The weirdest problem is that it worked fine for the first print I did on Letter sized paper, but this 11x17 (which, thanks to canon, I now realize is actually called "ANSI B").

I would be tearing my hair out and screaming right now if it weren't for the first print I sent through the printer, it made my jaw drop.  Now if I can just get the paper to load, I will start buying larger sheets.

So tell me, am I the only one with this problem?  Have you found the magic bullet?  Or is there something wrong with just my printer?

Avalan

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 12:51:27 am »

Hi jbn
I have tried Hahnemuhle photo Rag Satin 310gsm/13x19" from top tray and never had a problem. It's not supposed to have a problem or need to push the paper.

What type of paper you are chosing for the settings? I use Fine Art HEAVY WEIGHT photo. Is there any chance that there are some remainings of paper from previous jams?

It seems some users are changings the settings and able to use the cassette for thicker paper. Not tried it myself .

dsmphoto

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 12:33:24 pm »

I have been trying unsuccessfully for the last 3 hours to load 11x17" sheets of Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308 in my Canon iPF 5000.  Not a single load. Not ONCE!!!  The closest I have gotten is a paper jam and a "skew" error. 

Cassett Problem:
Tried loading just one, or 5, or 10, or 20.
Paper would take in, and then jam.  I would have to open up the back manually and take it out each time.  I tried telling the printer to use maximum suction, but that didn't do anything.
Tray Problem:
First it wouldn't even go in the printer at all, just sit there, and I'd get a paper jam(which requires over a minute to press two different buttons and wait for it to reset, very annoying).
I read someone tried pushing down on the paper (made sense, I've done this with epson's manual feeds from time to time).  The first time I tried it, it finally took in the paper in, took a few seconds to settle down, and then got a paper "skew" warning.  Never again could I even get close to that step.

The weirdest problem is that it worked fine for the first print I did on Letter sized paper, but this 11x17 (which, thanks to canon, I now realize is actually called "ANSI B").

I would be tearing my hair out and screaming right now if it weren't for the first print I sent through the printer, it made my jaw drop.  Now if I can just get the paper to load, I will start buying larger sheets.

So tell me, am I the only one with this problem?  Have you found the magic bullet?  Or is there something wrong with just my printer?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95920\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You have encountered the problems that almost everyone does.

1) The paper is too thick for the cassette.

2) your alignment errors with the tray will be greatly reduced if you go to the paper type in menu  and set the paper alignment to "loose" ( a tip from Donald at Canon). check the menu chart that was shipped for where this is. Also, load the paper to the internal stop BEFORE you click the paper type to begin the load. The stop helps the initial alignment.

3) For the thicker Hahn. papers, especially rolls, you may need to increase suction to max to prevent head strikes.

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 05:32:12 pm »

I too have found just a bit of down pressure helps when I'm loading 308gsm Hahnemuhle, just before I press OK for the paper size. No biggie. I am using the the Fine Art Heavyweight setting.
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &

ricgal

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 06:40:39 pm »

May be helpful to carefully fan the pile of paper pile particuarly the corner edges that are going to be fed, slightly curling them in the right direction.  You will also probaly find that ther is a optimum pile height in the tray for it to load most efficiently with awkward paper.  Even turning the pile through 180 can somtimes help.
www.ricbower.com- Art and Fashion Photog

thompsonkirk

• http://www.red-green-blue.com
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 10:42:39 pm »

Maybe I'll experience your troubles later, but so far I've been printing on 13x19 & 17x22 sheets via the cassette with no problem.  

Are you using the Premium Matte setting?  That's what's working for me.

Kirk

PS, I've usually loaded the sheets one at a time into the cassette.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 10:44:02 pm by thompsonkirk »

Martin Phillips

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 07:31:33 am »

I have posted about this problem a few months ago. The answer for me was to switch to Crane Museo which does load from the cassette. This is particularly important when I have hundreds of A5 cards to print!

I found that the fine art (premium matte setting) and the silver rag (photopaper plus sg setting) have no issues from the cassette so I have left my many boxes of Hahnemuhle and Innova in the cupboard

I still haven't had consistent success with the tray so I stick with the roll and the iPF8000 for larger prints, but Canon really should sort out these problems soon...

OT: It worries me that my consumables are not (relatively) locally sourced - Crane is an American make - all that shipping to Europe cannot be good for the environment. I am surprised that so many American and Canadian photographers use European papers when you have such great ones of your own!
Pages: [1]   Go Up