Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Critique my sunset?  (Read 4185 times)

Michael1116

Critique my sunset?
« on: January 15, 2007, 01:09:06 pm »

[attachment=1558:attachment]

Hello

I am new here.  I have received some nice comments on this digital picture (from non-photographers), but I know it needs improvement.  The histogram was not well balanced and I know my horizon is not horizontal.
Taken with Canon EOS D60
35mm
F4
Shutter priority
1/91 sec
ISO 800

Comments?
Canon EOS D60 Digital
Canon A1 Film

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Critique my sunset?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 01:49:21 am »

Hi There:

Well, you pointed out the obvious points... to me, all of the trees in the foreground make it look cluttered.  It looks like you're standing near the edge of a drop down to the lake.  If you have the opportunity to go back to that place again, I'd suggest moving forward some to elimate the 'curtain' of trees.  The point coming out from the left into the lake would give you a more pleasing composition without that screen.

My $0.02

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Michael1116

Critique my sunset?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 11:37:27 am »

Hi There:

Well, you pointed out the obvious points... to me, all of the trees in the foreground make it look cluttered.  It looks like you're standing near the edge of a drop down to the lake.  If you have the opportunity to go back to that place again, I'd suggest moving forward some to elimate the 'curtain' of trees.  The point coming out from the left into the lake would give you a more pleasing composition without that screen.

My $0.02

Mike.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95927\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Mike.  I will be going back at some point in the near future.
Canon EOS D60 Digital
Canon A1 Film

LoisWakeman

Critique my sunset?
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 01:33:45 pm »

You are your own best critic!

Personally, I think sunsets need to have something really special to lift them out of the "mmm, that's pretty" category - and this one doesn't - at least for me.

The view of the lake through the trees is nice: but for an image to really pop, it requires some strong visual elements (shape, colour, balance or whatever) to draw it together. Multiple trees of mixed species - as you have here - are often very difficult to pull together as a harmonious whole: you need to find some pattern or flow in them that leads the eye round the frame in a pleasing way.

mahleu

• 500px
Critique my sunset?
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 04:05:16 pm »

from a purely technical point of view, you might want to use a tripod and drop your ISO down a lot. You'll end up with a better quality image, you can also then stop down a bit to get more in focus.

Michael1116

Critique my sunset?
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 04:16:43 pm »

Thank you Lois and mahleu for your input.  I appreciate the pointers
Canon EOS D60 Digital
Canon A1 Film
Pages: [1]   Go Up