Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 clogs  (Read 4875 times)

sralser

Epson 3800 clogs
« on: January 14, 2007, 03:55:19 pm »

I'm still trying to decide on a printer.  How many people with 3800's have had clogs so far?  My expereince with my 2200 has been good. I vaguely remember 1 clog (eas to get rid of) in 4years, including moving the printer frm NM to WI in the coldest period the winter we moved (it was cold), and not using it for 2-3 months, and numerous other times not using it for weeks at a time.

Steve

picnic

Epson 3800 clogs
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 06:26:10 pm »

I'm still trying to decide on a printer.  How many people with 3800's have had clogs so far?  My expereince with my 2200 has been good. I vaguely remember 1 clog (eas to get rid of) in 4years, including moving the printer frm NM to WI in the coldest period the winter we moved (it was cold), and not using it for 2-3 months, and numerous other times not using it for weeks at a time.

Steve
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95714\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Steve, go to dpreivew/printer forum where there has been at least one 'poll' on this.  The few that have had problems have been much more vocal (and repetitive) than those with no problems at all.  The majority have had virtually no problems, myself included.  I came from a 2200 also which I've had since the first month it came out.  I had almost no problems at all with it--and so far (though only a month or so with the 3800), no problems with the 3800  either.  

I printed my first handcut from a 17" roll 16 x 24 prints today---no problems  there either.  The cutting process (I gave a 'report' at dpreview as requested) was easy, decurling easy, printing uneventfull and the resulting prints (color and toned monos) are just wonderful.

Diane

jjlphoto

Epson 3800 clogs
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 08:02:12 pm »

Bought it in mid-Dec, no clogs. (I leave it on 24/7)
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

Stephen Best

Epson 3800 clogs
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 08:17:09 pm »

Bought it in mid-Dec, no clogs. (I leave it on 24/7)
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Leaving it on serves no purpose other than keeping the electronics warm:

[a href=\"http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/EpsonWideFormat/message/76721]http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/EpsonWi...t/message/76721[/url]

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
Epson 3800 clogs
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 08:17:15 pm »

Epsons do clog, particularly in dry climates. I keep a guitar humidifier in mine next to the head and keep the printer covered in plastic when humidity drops. This helps.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Gregory

• http://www.gregory.hk
Epson 3800 clogs
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 09:40:22 pm »

I've had the 3850 for 3 weeks. I print occasionally. no clogs so far.

I too leave the printer on 24/7 for no reason other than I don't feel the need to turn it off.

regards,
Gregory
Gregory's Blog: [url=http://www.gregory.

amiad

Epson 3800 clogs
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 04:09:46 am »

Hi,

I suffer from this allot!

BUT - my experience I think is with faulty machine rather than just clogges: This is my second machine.  The first - was clogging all the time - and actually had ink droplets - from it. BUT - also random clogging all over the place. The second machine - is clogging - in a strange ("through out all colors" --> half the head, a "line" - same position over the entire color range - and various combinations)

Humidiy is low now (cold related).

See also reports on bundle software contribution to clogged (look for the DPREVIEW..."Epson 3800" and read what is there.)

Best of luck.

GregW

• http://
Epson 3800 clogs
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 10:21:09 am »

For what it's worth, mine's 4 days old and no clogs.  Turned it off for the first time last night.  I have a hygrometer in the room so i'll keep an eye on it.

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
Epson 3800 clogs
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 03:44:10 pm »

My experience with Epson printers is that they seldom clog for the first 3 months or so. I suspect the increasing clogging after that is due mainly to fiber accumulation from the cutter. Drop outs may be bubbles. Thus I think it's a bit early to make any conclusions about the 3800s.
As I understand it turning machine off parks the head so that drying out is reduced,. In this case it is not a good idea to leave printers like this on all the time. This does not apply to HP Z printers that have their own cleanng routines while their operators are asleep or down the pub.
Humidity is definitely a factor and a humidifier and Kirk's suggestions are good ideas.
Cheers,
Brian,
www.pharoseditions.com.au

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Epson 3800 clogs
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 04:01:11 pm »

Dirt prevents the capping from operating in some Epsons I believe.

Edmund

My experience with Epson printers is that they seldom clog for the first 3 months or so. I suspect the increasing clogging after that is due mainly to fiber accumulation from the cutter. Drop outs may be bubbles. Thus I think it's a bit early to make any conclusions about the 3800s.
As I understand it turning machine off parks the head so that drying out is reduced,. In this case it is not a good idea to leave printers like this on all the time. This does not apply to HP Z printers that have their own cleanng routines while their operators are asleep or down the pub.
Humidity is definitely a factor and a humidifier and Kirk's suggestions are good ideas.
Cheers,
Brian,
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95862\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

picnic

Epson 3800 clogs
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 04:26:52 pm »

My experience with Epson printers is that they seldom clog for the first 3 months or so. I suspect the increasing clogging after that is due mainly to fiber accumulation from the cutter.
snip
Cheers,
Brian,
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95862\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I wonder about that.  I've owned the 1280 and 2200 for years--with hardly any clog problems in either.  Both had roll ability but I never used it, choosing to print sheet instead.  Could that be a 'plus"?  Guess we'll have to see---but I remember seeing something about 'cleaning' elsewhere and wonder if others do it---and what part of the printer--and how.

I'm in the southeast but in a 'relatively' controlled environment with heat  or AC.  However, I read on another forum of making a small receptacle that fits down in the printer and putting a damp sponge and covering the printer also when its not used.  I've wonder if that would keep the humidity more stable and be helpful.   Any thoughts on that?

Diane

laarree

Epson 3800 clogs
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 04:48:42 pm »

I'm still trying to decide on a printer.  How many people with 3800's have had clogs so far?  My expereince with my 2200 has been good. I vaguely remember 1 clog (eas to get rid of) in 4years, including moving the printer frm NM to WI in the coldest period the winter we moved (it was cold), and not using it for 2-3 months, and numerous other times not using it for weeks at a time.

Steve
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95714\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've had my 3800 since early December -- no clogs over here, and am perhaps
1/3 of the way thru the first set of ink cartridges (according to the printer's LED).
Pages: [1]   Go Up