Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom and Aperture comparisons?  (Read 3590 times)

routlaw

• http://www.roboutlawphotography.com
Lightroom and Aperture comparisons?
« on: January 13, 2007, 07:37:57 pm »

Hello group, this is my first post, and am just curious how many of you have tried Aperture, what are your conclusions compared to Lightroom thus far?

My own personal take is that I just don't see what the fuss is all about with Aperture. Over the last week I have downloaded the trial, and find it far less intuitive and more difficult to use compared to LR. Raw conversions as a rule do not seem to be better, just slightly different and subjectively slightly worse than LR. So for those who have been giving both programs a spin what is your take? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Per Ofverbeck

• http://elgfoto.se
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 05:26:15 am »

Hello group, this is my first post, and am just curious how many of you have tried Aperture, what are your conclusions compared to Lightroom thus far?

My own personal take is that I just don't see what the fuss is all about with Aperture. Over the last week I have downloaded the trial, and find it far less intuitive and more difficult to use compared to LR. Raw conversions as a rule do not seem to be better, just slightly different and subjectively slightly worse than LR. So for those who have been giving both programs a spin what is your take? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95602\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Although I´m almost fanatic in my adherence to Apple, this time I have to agree with you.  I already use LR b4 as my standard imaging software, and when Aperture finally became available as a trial, I eagerly downloaded and tried it....

And, my reluctant conclusion: almost every step in the workflow was more awkward and more "not quite what I wanted" with Aperture.  The raw conversion controls were more primitive, that nice-looking "loupe" was far kludgier than just "point-and-hold-left-button" as in LR, the EXIF set available was smaller, changing the work area less intuitive &c.

The single area where Aperture did shine was in handling several versions of an image without either losing track of them or cluttering the view.  But one must assume that Adobe will do something to catch up when they release LR v1.

I freely admit that I might have adapted better to Aperture if I hadn´t already got used to LR, but as it turned out, I uninstalled that demo long before it expired.
Per Ofverbeck
My

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 06:36:04 am »

It's very much a matter of personal preference - the Loupe is one thing I prefer about Aperture, others being the smart albums and stacks' more visual appearance (it's public knowledge that stacks and versions will be in Lightroom v1). Otherwise I find the interface was very fiddly with controls scattered all around the screen, and messy too with two interface styles in one program, duplication of palettes, and at least 4 styles of button being used. That fiddly character really hits home with large numbers of pictures and Lightroom's Quick Develop and Develop tools are much cleaner and more efficient. Export processes also lock up the program. But so many things are close calls - so I hate being unable to hide Aperture's filmstrip except in black hole mode, yet like being able to move it below or to one side of the image which I can't do in Lightroom. And I love that Loupe.

They've also still got work to do to make Aperture acceptable from a DAM perspective. They've graciously allowed you to leave your files where you want, but you still have to be too careful or it will salt them away into its library package. And apart from the program being limited to the Mac, the export procedure is still a barrier. With any program which has DAM aspirations, you have to be sure up front of the exit route.

John

The world looks so beautiful through the windows, who needs Jobs (or silly straplines)?

routlaw

• http://www.roboutlawphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 10:52:19 am »

"And I love that Loupe"

Curious, that was one of the things that I dislike the most about Aperture. Presumably from what I have been told apple created this programs so that it provided a more analog like sensibility and workflow, thus the loupe. Its been years since I shot lots of film, but honestly that was one of the worst things about doing large film shoots, spending hours bending over the light table squinting through a loupe. With the digital loop I fail to see what it provides that a simple 100% pixel view does not, plus with the normal 100% pixel view in any program you view a much much larger area, its way quicker and easier to scale in and out and around the image compared to the loop. In LR, all one has to do is a quick double click in the loupe view and viola you are at 100%.

Otherwise I agree with all you state here, loupe excluded.

Thanks for the feedback.

Rob

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 11:29:42 am »

I'm equally surprised people don't like it, but you can always ignore it and zoom in to 100%. I enjoy the combination of the image fitting the screen and having a pixel level view and use the loupe in iView too. Using Aperture's Loupe directly on thumbnails is sexy but only workable if you throw more money at the job.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up