Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: panorama printing  (Read 5748 times)

alan zinn

• http://panoramacamera.us
panorama printing
« on: January 13, 2007, 01:47:03 pm »

Hello,

I'm looking into newest and best desk-size photo ink jet printers.  My main criteria is that I must print user-size images up to 13 in  wide by at least 40 in.  I have always used Epson printers to do this.  I would like to hear from anyone who has experience with making pans with newest HP9000 series or Canon 5000 printers.  In the past I have had no luck contacting anyone at HP who could answer this question.  Haven't bothered with Canon as yet.  

My understanding is that HP, Canon, and Epson inks are now reliably archival and equally capable of  fine black and white printing.  

Thanks,

AZ
Build a 120/35mm Lookaround!
The Lookaro

Let Biogons be Biogons

• http://
panorama printing
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 03:31:37 pm »

My understanding is that HP, Canon, and Epson inks are now reliably archival and equally capable of  fine black and white printing. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95507\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

"equally capable" is probably quite debatable.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 04:00:19 pm by Let Biogons be Biogons »

madmanchan

• Web
panorama printing
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 04:02:38 pm »

"equally capable" is probably quite debatable.  I also didn't know that HP and Canon made 13" printers that were "reliably archival".  Epson's certainly are, but that would have to be something relatively recent for HP and Canon.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95529\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Michael and other reviewers have noted that print quality made with the latest HP, Canon, and Epson printers is about equal. There are subtle differences, but that's all -- subtle.

HP has a 13" printer called the B9180. It has been reviewed here and elsewhere. It uses archival pigment inks. It is "relatively recent" in the sense that it's less than 3 years old.

Canon does not yet have a 13" pigment printer. But of course their 17" printer, the ipf5000, can certainly print up to 13" wide and the cost of ink would probably be less in the long run than any 13" model, so this should be taken into account, too.

Eric
Eric Chan

Bill J

panorama printing
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 03:07:33 pm »

I just printed a 17"x54" panorama on the iPF5000 last weekend. I use bi-directional printing, since I have not seen any evidence of banding using this print setting.  It took around 20 minutes, I would say. I'll check Print History to find out for sure.

By comparison, last year I printed a 13"x40" panorama on my 2200 with High-Speed turned off, and it took close to 90 minutes.

Bill

Bill J

panorama printing
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 02:01:05 am »

I just printed a 17"x54" panorama on the iPF5000 last weekend ... It took around 20 minutes, I would say. I'll check Print History to find out for sure.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95857\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I checked, and the print log shows 16 minutes to print the 17"x54". Not bad at all. Around 7 ml of ink used.

Bill

skyephoto

panorama printing
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 11:52:04 am »

Has anyone been able to print panoramas longer than 19" with the B9180?
Luminous Landscape review says it is possible, HP says it is not supported!

DarkPenguin

panorama printing
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 12:10:23 pm »

I think you need to use something like qimage to do it.  Good luck with lining the paper up.

JoRi

panorama printing
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 04:04:34 pm »

Hi
It is perfectly possible to make 13 x 40 panorama prints on HP B9180. I use Qimage, but it is possible from Photoshop as well (note : not from Lightroom as it does not support this kind of manipulated files).
Choose costum in the paper size selection and type in the size. You will be guided to the maximum size.
My only problem has been to find paper in the right size. This has been solved by cutting it from roll-paper and de-rolling it. It takes some patience or practice to place the paper correctly, but then no problem. I forgot to time my printing of a 13 x 36 panorama, but it was not that long.

Hope it may help
Jorgen
Pages: [1]   Go Up