Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you spot inkjet prints?  (Read 3988 times)

kevs

Do you spot inkjet prints?
« on: January 13, 2007, 12:46:48 pm »

I just tried to spot a inkjet print with the brush and ink I used to spot with regular kodak paper, and it did not work to well.

Are there better spotting tools for inkjet or does everyone just discard and reprint?
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 01:01:19 pm »

I know a few folks who broke open "empty" cartridges and saved the remnant few ml of inks in small glass jars.  They use that ink to spot.

I never have issues on coated papers, but if I am using art paper, I blow it off with canned air before I print.  For me, this has pretty much eliminated the white flecks after printing so I don't have anything to spot.
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Dale_Cotton

• http://daystarvisions.com
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 01:14:42 pm »

Here's another possible solution that I've read about on the EpsonWideFormat forum but never tried:

Use the eye dropper in Photoshop to grab the exact colour you need to spot. Start a new file and create a region with that colour. Print that onto a sheet of plastic film. The ink is not absorbed and does not want to dry on the film. Scrape a bit of the ink off with a small knife or similar tool and dot it on to the problem print where the spot is.

The advantage of this is that it should provide both the exact colour and the exact reflectivity needed.

alan zinn

• http://panoramacamera.us
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 01:17:44 pm »

I know a few folks who broke open "empty" cartridges and saved the remnant few ml of inks in small glass jars.  They use that ink to spot.

I never have issues on coated papers, but if I am using art paper, I blow it off with canned air before I print.  For me, this has pretty much eliminated the white flecks after printing so I don't have anything to spot.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95494\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Try this:  print sections of your image - the parts with the spots - on the back of acetate, overhead film,  or any material that makes the ink bead up and not dry fast. Use a fine brush to stipple spot as you would with regular photo.  You could also print CMYK ramps.

AZ
Build a 120/35mm Lookaround!
The Lookaro

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 01:49:41 pm »

You don't have to break open the cartridges. Pull the closest color ink cartridge out of your printer ( or save your empties they have enough residue and are good for this for awhile, put a piece of tape over the opening to keep them from drying out). Insert a fine 000 brush into the the orifice extract some ink and use it for spotting. I've been doing this for years.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 01:51:49 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

kevs

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 02:24:14 pm »

Interesting Jack, you bring up another topic: white dust spots on finished prints. I'm just getting this a bit now, so the way to prevent that is blowing off paper -- lot of work, in that 95% of finished prints don't need it, but what happens, dust in room falls on paper after printing.

So using old black ink in small bottom with thin brush really wont fly with inkjet prints then.

Now, I didn't explain,

Dale:
what do you mean by plactic film, where does one buy these sheets in my size paper?
Epon enhanced matte 11/7 x 16/5

nice pointer Kirk:
I get it now, you can use the old 00 brushes but you need to use ink from the cartridges -- ok time to save used inks!

kevs

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 03:24:24 pm »

Any of the three blacks in 2400 will work? for problem in the black area

Dale_Cotton

• http://daystarvisions.com
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 04:41:36 pm »

Kevs wrote:
Dale:
what do you mean by plactic film, where does one buy these sheets in my size paper?
Epon enhanced matte 11/7 x 16/5
I mean what Alan wrote:

on the back of acetate, overhead film, or any material that makes the ink bead up and not dry fast.
Size is irrelevant. You only need a sheet a few inches on a side, since all you're doing is printing a small area, maybe an inch or two square.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 05:50:31 pm »

I don't know where people actually come up with these stupid ideas, but I would strongly advise against trying the printing foil trick.

The ink can smudge the rollers, and your printing head can smear itself. You don't want to go there.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures
Pages: [1]   Go Up