Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another "what paper should I get" question?  (Read 2720 times)

blansky

Another "what paper should I get" question?
« on: January 12, 2007, 01:27:03 pm »

I've been scouring the sites reading about Epson, Hahnemuhle, Crane, Innova et all and everybody has their own opinion and stories.

My problem is that what their stories don't say is what the end result of the print is.

I'm a portrait photographer who has printed exclusively black and white by traditional methods on Ilford Warm Tone Black and White 20x24 Fiber Glossy paper for a long time. I will be picking up my Epson 7800 in a couple of weeks and would like to smooth the transition to digital by picking perhaps one paper to start with. I fully expect to try different papers as time goes on, but would like recommendation on a great paper to begin with.

I've heard of the outgassing issues with a number of papers, which is a concern because I usually frame under plexiglas within a couple of days. Since I do this professionally, going to the clients house and cleaning the glass is not really an option.

I have always prefered traditional glossy (fiber) which is not very glossy, to any matte type of paper however I'm not totally sure if under glass it makes too much difference. I'm also not sure of the "look" of different "art" type papers and how they look under glass.

So my criteria is, 24 inch roll paper, portrait subject matter, black and white prints, outgassing issues due to quick framing (archivally), in the ballpark of what I'm getting now with traditional methods.

I realize that digital and traditional are not the same, but I need a starting point, to hit the ground running so to speak. Also please include which ink (photoblack vs matt black) works with your recommendation.

Thanks in advance.

Michael
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 02:18:35 pm by blansky »

ARD

• http://
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 02:12:48 pm »

I've been scouring the sites reading about Epson, Hahnemuhle, Crane, Innova et all and everybody has their own opinion and stories.

My problem is that what their stories don't say is what the end result of the print is.

I'm a portrait photographer who has printed exclusively black and white by traditional methods on Ilford Warm Tone Black and White 20x24 Fiber Glossy paper for a long time. I will be picking up my Epson 7800 in a couple of weeks and would like to smooth the transition to digital by picking perhaps one paper to start with. I fully expect to try different papers as time goes on, but would like recommendation on a great paper to begin with.

I've heard of the outgassing issues with a number of papers, which is a concern because I usually frame under plexiglas within a couple of days. I have always prefered traditional glossy (fiber) which is not very glossy, to any matte type of paper however I'm not totally sure if under glass it makes too much difference. I'm also not sure of the "look" of different "art" type papers and how they look under glass.

So my criteria is, 24 inch roll paper, portrait subject matter, black and white prints, quick framing (archivally), in the ballpark of what I'm getting now with traditional methods.

I realize that digital and traditional are not the same, but I need a starting point, to hit the ground running so to speak. Also please include which ink (photoblack vs matt black) works with your recommendation.

Thanks in advance.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95302\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For starters I would go with a paper made by the printer manufacturer. Also, to get a feel of the difference in inks, most camera shops will be willing to do a couple of test prints, especially if they think a sale is involved

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 03:08:58 pm »

In my experience over the years with Epson 2200 & 1280 printers, Epson glossy and semi-glossy papers have a considerably worse outgassing problem than most non-Epson papers I've tried.  The paper I ended up liking the best, with minimal outgassing problems (though still a little, so I leave prints out with plain paper over them for a day or two), is Ilford Gallerie Smooth Gloss.  They also make a Smooth Pearl if you prefer a more textured and less glossy finish, with similar outgassing behavior.  (The Smooth Gloss is a pretty glossy finish, maybe too glossy for your tastes.)   You can get sample packs of the Ilford papers from inkjetart.com.

At least with the older Epson printer ink sets, glossy & semigloss papers produce noticeably deeper blacks than matte papers, which is why I don't use matte.

With virtually all glossy & semigloss papers, you should be using Photo Black ink, not Matte Black.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis
Pages: [1]   Go Up