Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gps-information in raw files  (Read 3081 times)

Tomas Johanson

Gps-information in raw files
« on: January 12, 2007, 06:54:55 am »

Does any of the digital back makers have a solution to automatically store gps-information in raw-files?

Some cameras have connections for gps-units, Sony has GPS-CS1 for their new cameras.
How is it with MF-digital Backs?

/Tomas

sbacon

• http://baconphoto.com
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 05:21:55 pm »

Tomas, I know this is not exactly what you're looking for... But since no one else has replied, I thought I'd throw it out here.

Post image capture, RoboGeo is a great solution, IMHO. I've been using it for about 9 months or so. You just sync camera and gps clocks before shooting and then use RoboGeo to merge lat/long/elev from your GPS device or track log into the EXIF files. Its simple to use and has some really nice output options, such as Google Earth.

Hope this helps...

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 11:12:07 pm »

I'm using a Contax 645 with a Kodak DCS Pro 645 back. The back has a serial cable input to accept various types of data input. One of those types is NMEA (? a GPS data standard I think?) data from a GPS unit. All you have to do is get the data to the back and the back does the rest.

I'm using an old portable Garmin aviation GPS unit from my flying days. The Garmin's output cable ends in an RS232 serial interface; I had to make my own "bridge" cable with an RS232 end and a miniplug end, to fit the digiback input socket. (Found the wiring diagram on Kodak's website, somehow.) Surprisingly, given my hamfisted soldering, the whole thing works like a charm.

The GPS apparently puts out data nearly continuously; this is automatically captured in the image files' EXIF data as you shoot: lat, lon, and altitude. Only thing I have to do is make sure the digiback is set up to receive GPS input, simply done from its setup menus.

I've not put this to any serious use, because the whole assembled apparatus is so cumbersome (I made the cable too long and I'm tripping over it.) I imagine it would be painless with newer GPS units and with backs whose makers might still be suppling ready-made GPS cables!

Hope this helps.
michael sebast

Tomas Johanson

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 09:55:23 am »

Thanks for your answers!

I will take a look at RoboGeo.

Michael, I have read something about Proback and GPS, but I thougt it was not possible on the 645 version. Great that it works as you describe it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up