Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe Version Cue CS2 question  (Read 4195 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Adobe Version Cue CS2 question
« on: January 11, 2007, 05:27:29 pm »

Dear all,

I have been trying to start using Version Cue but am facing one annoying issue.

What annoys me is that Version Cue stores all files copied to the project workspace to a sub-folder of "Documents and Settings" folder on my WinXP workstation.

On my machine, "Document and Settings" is on the C: drive and not meant to store large amounts of data.

I tried to use the admin tool to change the data folder, but that seems to have no effect on the files storage location, it only affectc meta data storage location.

Is there a way to store Version Cue project files in a user defined directory on a different local drive?

Has some experience on this?

Thank you in advance,

Regards,
Bernard

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 06:17:33 pm »

You can easilly change the location of the "My Documents" system folder to another drive or even a network share - right click the "My Documents" Icon then select Properties.  If you change the Target location (typically defaults to C:\Documents and Settings\user_profile_name\My Documents), Windows will offer to move all files to the new location.

This is a major bitch of mine with *all* modern O/S's - there ought to be a simple way to keep *all* user settings / preferences on a separate drive/partition/location.  There *is* a way to do this with Windows at install time using a custom entry in the unattend.txt file:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/236621

The beauty of this is that *all* user profiles, application registry settings, etc will point to this new location.

Version Cue also supports connecting to Projects via FTP or WebDav - handy in a mixed environment.

hope this helps - John
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 06:27:34 pm by Joh.Murray »

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 07:54:36 pm »

You can easilly change the location of the "My Documents" system folder to another drive or even a network share - right click the "My Documents" Icon then select Properties.  If you change the Target location (typically defaults to C:\Documents and Settings\user_profile_name\My Documents), Windows will offer to move all files to the new location.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95180\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello John,

Thanks for your reply.

I am aware of this OS level possibility, but I am worried that other applications using data stored in My Documents might be pointing directly to the C:/ drive path instead of using the logial MyDocument address.

I would prefer not to relocate MyDocument to another drive and to work at Version Cue level instead.

Regards,
Bernard

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 08:09:31 pm »

Give it a try - Changing the "My Docs" location back to default is not a problem, just "reset to default" in the Properties dialog.  

The Windows environmental variable %userprofile% (open a command prompt, then type "set") determines the location -  any application that is writing to any folder under "My Documents" will be completely unaware of any change to the actual location.

The *only* exception I can imagine would be scripts hard coded to access the file hierarchy - or the end user laboriously saving out to the path - example:

BAD
copy f:\dcim\canon100\. 'c:\documents and setting\bernard languillier\application folder\files' /v/z

GOOD
copy f:\dcim\canon100\. '%userprofile%\application folder\files' /v/z

Folder redirection has been around since the old Novell Netware days and the DOS Subst command.  Applications that are broken by this should be long past
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 08:35:45 pm by Joh.Murray »

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 08:53:23 pm »

Give it a try - Changing the "My Docs" location back to default is not a problem, just "reset to default" in the Properties dialog. 

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95198\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

John,

Thank you again, I'll give it a try.

Regards,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up