Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why 600ppi resample for Canon iPF5000?  (Read 8900 times)

elauq

Why 600ppi resample for Canon iPF5000?
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2007, 07:38:01 pm »

Since people are reporting very little if any difference between 300 and 600 ppi input file regardless of method of up-rezing, it seems that the printer's best output isn't actually 600 ppi.

thompsonkirk

• http://www.red-green-blue.com
Why 600ppi resample for Canon iPF5000?
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2007, 01:50:29 pm »

To my eye, this isn't so.  What I've found is that the differences between methods of up-resing are more visible at 600 ppi.  Using GF (or QImage on PC?) instead of bicubic smoother to get to 600 ppi & printing at 600 ppi yields the best results, as I see them.  

An uncroppped 5D print on 17x22 paper looks OK if the file is res-ed-up with bicubic smoother to 300 ppi & the print is made at 300 ppi.  

It looks better in terms of sharpness & tonal transitions - & consequently a small but interesting subjective sense of depth in the print - if the print is up-resed to 600 ppi with bi smoother & printed at 600 ppi.  

It looks even better if the print is up-resed to 300 ppi in Genuine Fractals & then the printer converts to 600.

(No doubt res-ing-up in GF to 600 ppi would be even better, but my computer is too elderly to do this in a reasonable period of time.  Since my computer is a Mac, I can't say for sure about QImage, but I assume QImage would match or better the GF results.)

These are eyeball conclusions - things visible in prints that size - not just loupe-peeping.

My guess is that opinions vary with how large a print the opinion-holder is accustomed to making.

Kirk
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up