Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shortcut to hide layer in photoshop?  (Read 10469 times)

Boris_Epix

Shortcut to hide layer in photoshop?
« on: January 11, 2007, 12:34:38 am »

I'm going nuts... is there a shortcut to hide/unhide the active layer in photoshop cs2?

I was looking through all the options, searched the internet and I even wanted to create an own shortcut for the hide/unhide layer thing but I couldn't find the required entry. I've spent hours to find this shortcut without a result... I hope I was looking in the wrong places...

I'm really good with shortcuts and they save me 2 hours of time every day... but I just can't get this last required shortcut that would keep me from clicking EYE icons all day long.

Thanks for any help

bobrobert x

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 05:48:20 am »

Quote from: Boris_Epix,Jan 11 2007, 12:34 AM
I'm going nuts... is there a shortcut to hide/unhide the active layer in photoshop cs2?

I was looking through all the options, searched the internet and I even wanted to create an own shortcut for the hide/unhide layer thing but I couldn't find the required entry. I've spent hours to find this shortcut without a result... I hope I was looking in the wrong places...

I'm really good with shortcuts and they save me 2 hours of time every day... but I just can't get this last required shortcut that would keep me from clicking EYE icons all day long.

Thanks for any help

I asked the same question a while back in regards to PS7 ( there shouldn't be a difference between it and cs2 ) and the answer was no I find that it would be useful when I am masking, because turning the layer on and off helps

Boris_Epix

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 06:11:31 am »

I just don't get it as this is one of the things I do really a lot... checking out if the layer I'm working on does the image any good :-D

For masking you can press the "\"  key on the keyboard and the masking is shown in the color you've choosed. Really good to check if you have holes in the masks or if you painted over the canvas.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 07:24:34 am »

Have you tried exporting the keyboard shortcuts file, opening it as a text file, and then searching through that?

Alternatively it might be possible to write a script for what you want, and trigger that from an action, which itself has a shortcut.

John

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 09:15:31 pm »

Go to the Edit menu, select "Keyboard Shortcuts...", or press Alt+Shift+Ctrl+k.

Find the layers menu, and far down you'll see the line for "Hide Layers". Select this one, and press the shortcut you would like for this feature, for instance Alt+Shift+Ctrl+h.

Click "Accept", then "OK".

That's it.
Jan

Boris_Epix

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 10:48:23 am »

Go to the Edit menu, select "Keyboard Shortcuts...", or press Alt+Shift+Ctrl+k.

Find the layers menu, and far down you'll see the line for "Hide Layers". Select this one, and press the shortcut you would like for this feature, for instance Alt+Shift+Ctrl+h.

Click "Accept", then "OK".

That's it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95387\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Edited:

Thanks Jani and Francois.
Your advice worked after francois pushed me with the nose into it :-)

I'm used to the english version of Photoshop but couldn't purchease it immediately when I decided to buy CS2 so I'm stuck with the german version here and the commands obviously have german labels which at times are a bit confusing if you're used to the englisch captions.

Thanks everybody SO MUCH for your time.

Cheers

Boris
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 12:56:50 am by Boris_Epix »

francois

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 11:00:18 am »

Thanks Jani.

I was carefully following your walkthrough but I'm afraid that it's not possible to associate shortcuts with MENU entries. At least in my version of photoshop I can only change the visibility and the color of the entry in the menu.

Well, I guess I'll have to accept that Adobe forgot one essential keyboard and there's no easy way to get it.

Thanks everybody for your time.

Cheers

Boris
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95981\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Boris,
If you're using CS 2, it should work just as Jani wrote above. Make sure to follow these points:
1. Once the Keyboard Shortcuts and Menus dialog is on the screen, you must choose Shortcuts For: "Application Menus" (see screenshot below).
2. Scroll down until you see "Hide Layers"
3. Double-click on "Hide Layers" and enter you shortcut
4. Click OK and you're done.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 11:06:41 am by francois »
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up