Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why the IPF8000 is the best 44" printer for me.  (Read 7565 times)

jpgentry

Why the IPF8000 is the best 44" printer for me.
« on: January 10, 2007, 08:20:22 pm »

I have been the most vocal critic of the IPF printer to date, however...

I just had a post moderated at the Epson forum (our entire thread was removed) for talking about why I feel, despite the "snags" I've had with Canons feedback to customers that I still feel like it's the best 44 inch printer on the market, at least for me.

In the thread that was removed at the Epson Yahoo group we were discussing prices of the HP z3100. It was commented on that the cheapest price was $6100.

I had commented that the IPF8000 (44") despite my complaints of Canon's lack of feedback from their website and not displaying the exact ML left in the carts (my two biggest complaints) the printer has performed flawlessly and there has been nothing that I haven't been able to do with it.

I also posted that the Canon 44" compared very favorably to the HP 44" in that I was able to purchase it from itsupplies.com for $3400 shipped compared to $6100 for the HP. I already have the ability to generate accurate profiles so this was not a big selling point for me. From what I understand the Canon is faster and prints on thicker materials. Quality is a toss-up.

I sold my 9600, 4000 and HP dj130 all on ebay and was abe to more than pay for the new ipf8000. It was a no-brainer for me.  The Canon does better glossy prints than the dj130 (my photo printer of choice) and comparable matte (canvas, fine art) prints to the 9600.

-Jonathan
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 08:56:37 pm by jpgentry »

Gemmtech

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 10:20:15 pm »

I have been the most vocal critic of the IPF printer to date, however...

I just had a post moderated at the Epson forum (our entire thread was removed) for talking about why I feel, despite the "snags" I've had with Canons feedback to customers that I still feel like it's the best 44 inch printer on the market, at least for me.

In the thread that was removed at the Epson Yahoo group we were discussing prices of the HP z3100. It was commented on that the cheapest price was $6100.

I had commented that the IPF8000 (44") despite my complaints of Canon's lack of feedback from their website and not displaying the exact ML left in the carts (my two biggest complaints) the printer has performed flawlessly and there has been nothing that I haven't been able to do with it.

I also posted that the Canon 44" compared very favorably to the HP 44" in that I was able to purchase it from itsupplies.com for $3400 shipped compared to $6100 for the HP. I already have the ability to generate accurate profiles so this was not a big selling point for me. From what I understand the Canon is faster and prints on thicker materials. Quality is a toss-up.

I sold my 9600, 4000 and HP dj130 all on ebay and was abe to more than pay for the new ipf8000. It was a no-brainer for me.  The Canon does better glossy prints than the dj130 (my photo printer of choice) and comparable matte (canvas, fine art) prints to the 9600.

-Jonathan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95009\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you are happy with your purchase then you made the right choice.  Most people fail to realize that a good purchase is one that the individual is happy with that fulfills their individual needs.  Epson, Canon, HP, these are 3 great companies making great products and in the hands of the "right" person will all yield I fell identical results.  Mercedes or BMW?  Ferrari or Lamborghini?  Rolls Royce or Bentley?  Ford or Chevy?  You get the point I'm sure, whatever works for you is the way to go.  I use and own printers from all 3 and each has its' place for my work.

Gary

jpgentry

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 11:24:19 pm »

That used to be the case, but there is little need for more than one large format printer if you own the Canon or the HP.  That's the exciting part of these new printers that do it all.  Now if we can just get one to cut down paper on the vertical plain... ok I'm dreaming.

If you are happy with your purchase then you made the right choice.  Most people fail to realize that a good purchase is one that the individual is happy with that fulfills their individual needs.  Epson, Canon, HP, these are 3 great companies making great products and in the hands of the "right" person will all yield I fell identical results.  Mercedes or BMW?  Ferrari or Lamborghini?  Rolls Royce or Bentley?  Ford or Chevy?  You get the point I'm sure, whatever works for you is the way to go.  I use and own printers from all 3 and each has its' place for my work.

Gary
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95018\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Roscolo

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 02:34:27 am »

I may be going the same route as you and go with the canon if HP isn't going to offer any incentive on the z3100 24 or 48 inch machines.

The canon price is just too attractive with apparently no difference in print quality between the canon and the hp.

Gemmtech

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 08:29:09 am »

That used to be the case, but there is little need for more than one large format printer if you own the Canon or the HP.  That's the exciting part of these new printers that do it all.  Now if we can just get one to cut down paper on the vertical plain... ok I'm dreaming.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95028\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

"Do it all"  I don't believe there is a printer that is able to achieve this standard yet.  I only read the specs for the 8000 and don't own one;  can I load up 20 sheets of 13 x 19 and walk away while it prints?  

It's still the case for certain people (me being one of them) why?  My demands exceed any printers capability (they are NOT fast enough).

There are NO "Holy Grail" printers being made yet.

Gary

jpgentry

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 02:06:02 am »

"Do it all"  I don't believe there is a printer that is able to achieve this standard yet.  I only read the specs for the 8000 and don't own one;  can I load up 20 sheets of 13 x 19 and walk away while it prints? 

It's still the case for certain people (me being one of them) why?  My demands exceed any printers capability (they are NOT fast enough).

There are NO "Holy Grail" printers being made yet.

Gary
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95077\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If speed is what you want this is the fastest.  If you use roll paper, yes you fire and forget.  Walk away, pick your nose, whatever you want.  The 2 inch roll spindle even makes a great back scratcher.   Also the paper catcher doubles as a great hammock.  I think you ought to buy one...

Fred2323

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 06:15:45 am »

Hi jpgentry,
You wrote: I also posted that the Canon 44" compared very favorably to the HP 44" in that I was able to purchase it from itsupplies.com for $3400 shipped compared to $6100 for the HP.

Did you pursue any special avenue to get that deal? I just checked out itsupplies.com and  it looks to me like the Canon 44" printer is $5399. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Fred

treamer

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 04:09:47 am »

I just picked up the Canon IPG8000 in Spain for under 5000 euros. They are giving the things away. The list price was 9000 euros. I showed the retailer a page from the internet showing it at 5,500 and he beat it without a moments pause.

filip baraka

• http://
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 11:28:27 am »

I just picked up the Canon IPG8000 in Spain for under 5000 euros. They are giving the things away. The list price was 9000 euros. I showed the retailer a page from the internet showing it at 5,500 and he beat it without a moments pause.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121364\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Same here in Croatia, i was at InterGraphica fair last week and IPF8000 was in range of 4500eur, few bots down, hpz3100 24" model but with ps was around 50.000kunas thats about 10.000 us$ (7.000eur) I really laughed at price they are crazy, I whished them luck

Eli Burakian

• Photogaboutit
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 06:31:12 pm »

I'm with Fred.  I haven't been able to find it anywhere near $3400.  Post if you find it for something close to that price.

treamer

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 06:22:33 am »

My Canon dealer told me they are losing 3000 euros on each ipf8000 they sell.

I guess it's the same idea as Microsoft Xbox360 & Sony Playstation 3. The manufactures take huge loses on the hardware in order to increase the install base and thus profit from software (ie Inks, Papers, etc.).

Good for Canon I say.... just means we all get a great printer really cheaply.
Pages: [1]   Go Up