Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: decision on new Canon gear  (Read 3489 times)

Giedo

decision on new Canon gear
« on: January 09, 2007, 04:37:27 am »

I just found out that my 20D body is not working as it should (probably because too much rain in the tropics last year, the IS on my lenses don't work and sometimes AF is lagging), so I'm selling it (at a low price).
But, what to replace it with?

My lenses are:
300 f4
70-200 f4 IS
28-135 IS
17-85 EFS
10-22 EFS
50 f1.4
1.4 TC

I'm not sure whether to buy a Canon 5D (and sell the EFS lenses) or buy a Canon 30D body and sell the 28-135 IS

I'm a wildlife guy for 10 days a year (at that time I can use the reach of the APS sensor, but then: I can crop the 12 MP of the 5D and I can rent a 30D for this period of time)
and I'm an indoor low light shooter. Prefer not to use any flash.

And what about timing, I mean, the 30D might be upgraded soon to 10MP and dust prevention system and the 5D might also get an upgrade... but I don't think I can wait.

Thanks for your opinion in advance!
Giedo
Giedo

francois

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 07:59:24 am »

I just found out that my 20D body is not working as it should (probably because too much rain in the tropics last year, the IS on my lenses don't work and sometimes AF is lagging), so I'm selling it (at a low price).
But, what to replace it with?

My lenses are:
300 f4
70-200 f4 IS
28-135 IS
17-85 EFS
10-22 EFS
50 f1.4
1.4 TC

I'm not sure whether to buy a Canon 5D (and sell the EFS lenses) or buy a Canon 30D body and sell the 28-135 IS

I'm a wildlife guy for 10 days a year (at that time I can use the reach of the APS sensor, but then: I can crop the 12 MP of the 5D and I can rent a 30D for this period of time)
and I'm an indoor low light shooter. Prefer not to use any flash.

And what about timing, I mean, the 30D might be upgraded soon to 10MP and dust prevention system and the 5D might also get an upgrade... but I don't think I can wait.

Thanks for your opinion in advance!
Giedo
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=94728\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Bad timing, indeed!
With the PMA around the corner (and many "old" camera models), try to get a cold/flu or something similar to force you to wait, at least a couple of weeks...

Francois

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 08:13:40 am »

If moisture getting in the body is a problem, you might want to consider getting a body with full weather sealing, like a 1-series.

Giedo

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 08:40:20 am »

If moisture getting in the body is a problem, you might want to consider getting a body with full weather sealing, like a 1-series.
Very true, but I prefer the lighter weight of the other models and use a rain cover next time...

Bad timing, indeed! With the PMA around the corner (and many "old" camera models), try to get a cold/flu or something similar to force you to wait, at least a couple of weeks...
I think I do feel a bit of a headache coming up  
But then, well will new models become available in the local store...
Giedo

francois

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 09:08:42 am »

...But then, well will new models become available in the local store...
Giedo,
I agree, at least here in Switzerland you can wait months before new stuff shows up in the stores. But lately, new models like the 400D or 30D were available very shortly after they were announced.

Hope your headache doesn't last too long, try to find something else to spend the time!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 12:59:29 pm by francois »
Francois

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 12:54:26 pm »

The 5D will last longer before you'll need to upgrade. It's also more solid than the 30D.

How much do you want for your 20D?

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 04:26:46 pm »

I just bought another 5D, I had a 20D as a 2nd body but the 5D thrashes it for higher iso no questions asked! Yes I just bought one (albeit canon refurbished at a great price) with PMA round the corner, but I'm a pro photographer, i.e. it will pay for itself pretty fast at least the depreciation! If the 6D has decent AF and weather sealing I will change one of my 5D's for it as street photography with the 5D at this time of the year is just not possible with the non waterproof computer with lens attached that is the 5D. It copes with a little wet no problem but in regular rain wandering the streets with it just isn't an option.

Giedo

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 08:12:15 am »

I just bought another 5D, I had a 20D as a 2nd body but the 5D thrashes it for higher iso no questions asked! Yes I just bought one (albeit canon refurbished at a great price) with PMA round the corner, but I'm a pro photographer, i.e. it will pay for itself pretty fast at least the depreciation! If the 6D has decent AF and weather sealing I will change one of my 5D's for it as street photography with the 5D at this time of the year is just not possible with the non waterproof computer with lens attached that is the 5D. It copes with a little wet no problem but in regular rain wandering the streets with it just isn't an option.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=94822\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm not a pro, but I understand your decision.
I'm inclining towards a temporary solution: Canon 400D (newest rebel) with 10MP. At least I'll have working IS at my disposal and the new dust-thing will help when I'm in Africa this March. For this trip, I'll keep the 20D dedicated tot the 300 f4 since that lens does not have IS in the first place.
Then after the trip I can easily look around for the best upgrade and loose not too much money by selling the 400D.

Quality of the 400D is excellent, just the viewfinder...
Giedo
Pages: [1]   Go Up