Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: optimum print res for z3100  (Read 3278 times)

EvoM

optimum print res for z3100
« on: January 08, 2007, 11:05:53 pm »

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone could shed some light on the optimum print res for the new HP Z3100 12 ink printer. i.e. in Photoshop what dpi? I've heard lots of theories from 300 dpi to multiples of 120 e.g. 240, 360 etc..

We normally use a lab with a Durst Lightjet which runs at 200 or 400 dpi and send files at 400 dpi for finer detail. I'm hoping to be able to reduce dpi to 240 and still get fine detail from the Z3100.

Any info greatly appreciated!

Also if anyone is running this printer via a multiple Mac OSX ethernet setup, I was wondering how they set it up e.g. through a router? Does it need a ip address etc.? We have a router set up and would like to run it via a long ethernet rj45 cable via our router if possible...any tips anyone? Is this info in the manual for the Z3100?

Cheers

Evo

ternst

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 11:12:25 pm »

Evo:

All you have to do is plug your printer into the router and add it to the list in your printer setup utility - everything should be automatic and you just have to select it. I've been having some issues with my printer via ethernet so am going to switch to USB cable and see if that takes care of it (I'm also going to put the printer on my desktop right next to my computer).

Everyone has their own camp to be in about print file ppi being sent to the printer (it is ppi and not dpi - the printer output is in dpi but the file input is actually ppi, easily confused). My camp says to bring the file up to at least 240ppi and send it on to the printer. If it is higher than that and not an even number (like 300, 360, etc.) I simply do not worry about it. I don't look at my prints under a microscope and neither do my customers so I save myself a lot of headache and just send the file and enjoy the output. I'm sure there is a magical number you can rez up or down to for this printer but I doubt it would make any difference (as long as you send it a file that is close to 240ppi or above). In the end your best bet is to test your own images and see how it looks to you at different ppi...

EvoM

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 11:32:27 pm »

Thanks ternst for the quick reply. I'm just about to order it so i'm thinking about how & where.

Ideally, I'd like to set it up in a back room at the studio around 40 feet away with only a ethernet connection. I've only ever run printers from a computer but have set up our network via a router so that any computer can print. I suppose it's the same but the printer plugs straight into the router...right?

I'm happy to experiment when the printer arrives re the optimum print res but am always greatful of others trial and error results!

Thanks again for your input,

Evo

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 02:24:53 am »

I don't have the Z3100 yet, but I certainly think that there will be settings like on Epson printers. Even if most people say there is a big diffrence between, 180ppi and 360ppi, there isn't. YES there is a diffrence, but first of all you it really is small, and you notice it only if you know exactly what to look for. And even then only if you compare them side by side.

The same thing, perhaps other vaules, will aply to the z3100.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

ternst

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 06:42:59 am »

"I suppose it's the same but the printer plugs straight into the router...right?"

Yes, you just plug it in and the computer should recognize it...

Haraldo

• Phoozl - photo games & more
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 09:00:37 am »

With the HPs, many will want to try 300ppi, 200ppi, and 150ppi (integer divisors of 600). Other PPIs in between will probably not matter that much, as has been stated. Personally, when setting up files for HP printers (including others before the Z), I've aimed for 200ppi. But 150 also works. I think HP is "recommending" 300ppi for max quality on the Z, but it may not matter.

Best is to experiment and see if there are any differences.

Harald
Haraldo
aka Harald Johnson [url=http://w

EvoM

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 08:03:17 pm »

I think HP is "recommending" 300ppi for max quality on the Z, but it may not matter.

Excuse my ingorance Haraldo, but what dpi would that be in Photoshop?

Evo

ternst

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 08:38:42 pm »

Evo:

That would be 300ppi in Photoshop or other image editing programs. Many folks get ppi (pixels per inch of your file) with dpi (dots per inch that the printer lays down). So the proper way to talk about the image file that you send to the printer is ppi, as in 300ppi. The printer will print at 1200dpi (or 600dpi, or 1440dpi). Probably a majority of folks who talk about this stuff incorrectly use dpi for the file, but whose counting...
Pages: [1]   Go Up