Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Medium format question  (Read 2738 times)

eitanwaks

Medium format question
« on: January 08, 2007, 11:52:44 am »

I'm currently in the market for a medium format camera.  I currently own a Mamiya RB67.  I also own two Nikon SLR's (n90s, n8008).  In addition, I'm in possession of one contax G2.

Each of these have their pros and cons.  I love the portability and size of the G2, the versatility of my SLRs, and the quality and film size of the RB 67.

After some thought, I've come to the conclusion that I would like to purchase a medium format camera that has some of these features.  Does anyone know which models of medium format cameras have the following:
1.  Autofocus
2.  Autoexposure (spot metering is very important)
3.  Auto advance of film

I would prefer the format size to be 6 x 7 however, I'm interested in knowing about all of the available cameras that have these features.

I have done quite a bit of research and have found some cameras that fit these criteria (contax 645, hassleblad H#, mamiya 645).  Are there any other cameras that have not found?

Thanks for all the help,
Eitan Waks

PS I have an opportunity to purchase a contax 645af within 80 mm lens for around $1000.  Is this a fair price?

tsjanik

Medium format question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 02:44:08 pm »

I have done quite a bit of research and have found some cameras that fit these criteria (contax 645, hassleblad H#, mamiya 645).  Are there any other cameras that have not found?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=94540\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You missed the Pentax 645N and 645NII; very nice reviews of which can be found on this site.

spotmeter

• http://www.photographica.us
Medium format question
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 06:38:25 pm »

If you want 6X7 quality in a light weight camera, I recommend the Mamiya 7II.  The lenses are the highest rated, the lightmeter is very accurate, and it is a joy to use. I have a 12' X 14' enlargement on my livingroom wall of a photo I shot with the Mamiya that looks spectacular.

tonypassera

• http://www.blueirisphotography.com
Medium format question
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 10:29:43 pm »

PS I have an opportunity to purchase a contax 645af within 80 mm lens for around $1000.  Is this a fair price?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=94540\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, $1000 for a contax 645 body, viewfinder and 80mm lens is a very good price.
Tony

dseelig

Medium format question
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 06:39:22 pm »

Yes, $1000 for a contax 645 body, viewfinder and 80mm lens is a very good price.
Tony
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=94875\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I just sold my contax system reason repair worries because they are no longer made and I simply wasnt not using it. I tested the mamiya lenses in the situiation I would use it in f8 to f11 and found it was just as sharp as the contax. That is the 80 and 45 lenses. I do not get enough meduim format work to justify keeping it and I have M8 fever. I got a maiya 645 af converted to d and a 80 for 800 bucks. Then I got a 55mm for $320. 150 are around 350 dollars. A pro I know had to have a lens shipped to Japan to get fixed maybe it was isolated case I do not know . But I need to know I can get repairs fast. Oh mamiya autofocus seems better, though the viewfinder sucks . David
Pages: [1]   Go Up