Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 driver settings  (Read 4599 times)

jjlphoto

Epson 3800 driver settings
« on: January 08, 2007, 11:09:13 am »

I forgot some of the basics of this driver. I read that turning "high speed" off (unchecked) turns off bi-directional printing for better quality, but what about the check box for "finest detail"? I am printing some profiling targets today and want to make them right.
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

John Moody

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 11:33:36 am »

Another poster stated that finest detail enabled a higher quality uprez to 360 dpi by the driver, so that should have zero effect if it's on or off when printing targets.

There is no best setting for targets.  You need to do testing to determine what suits your needs vs print speed and possible ink consumption i.e., 1440 vs 2880 and HS on or off.  This needs to be done for each paper, and if it's non-epson paper, you need to find the paper setting that gives the best dMax (black) and saturation results with no color adjustment.

A good thing you can do, is really understand and perform head alignments and nozzle checks.  They are often a reason for a profile "shifting".

According to Epson, the 3800 is calibrated well enough to use the same profile for 1440 and 2880.  I have not heard confirmation of that, but on epson papers, it is likely true.

That being said, I would consult your profile service for advice with their targets and the 3800 settings before printing them out.

John

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 11:40:07 am »

I don't know exactly what "finest detail" does, but Bill Atkinson has the "finest detail" setting turned off when making his own profiles. Given the care with which he builds his own profiles, maybe you'll want to do the same.  

Eric
Eric Chan

jjlphoto

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 11:43:29 am »

Thanks John-

I am my profiling service  

I just forgot what I had been doing last month. Gettin' old.

My Innova FibaPrint F-Type Gloss uses Epson Premium Lustre media setting, with no custom paper configs needed. I made a profile for brilliant white in December, and I just got a few sample sheets in of their warm tone white. (I use the No Color Adjustement method as well.)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 11:44:45 am by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

John Moody

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 11:55:51 am »

Thanks John-

I am my profiling service   

I just forgot what I had been doing last month. Gettin' old.

My Innova FibaPrint F-Type Gloss uses Epson Premium Lustre media setting, with no custom paper configs needed. I made a profile for brilliant white in December, and I just got a few sample sheets in of their warm tone white. (I use the No Color Adjustement method as well.)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=94537\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OK, me too!  

I have a box of F-Type Gloss that I have not had time to try yet, so that's good info.  
I'm surprised that Innova still does not have a 3800 profile for the gloss paper.

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 12:10:21 pm »

I recall reading somewhere (but I don't remember where, so I can't confirm how reliable this memory is) that "finest detail" sharpens edges in a way intended to make text clearer.  Not for use in photos.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

jjlphoto

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 12:15:22 pm »

I recall reading somewhere (but I don't remember where, so I can't confirm how reliable this memory is) that "finest detail" sharpens edges in a way intended to make text clearer.  Not for use in photos.

Lisa
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=94550\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Okay-

Maybe the printing gurus such as Jack or Rodney can jump in on this. I'd like to get the straight poop, the whole poop, and nuthin' but the poop.
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

tsjanik

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 12:55:50 pm »

I recall reading somewhere (but I don't remember where, so I can't confirm how reliable this memory is) that "finest detail" sharpens edges in a way intended to make text clearer.  Not for use in photos.

Lisa
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=94550\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You're right Lisa.  My recollection is that it's in the manual for the 4800 and so likely true for the 3800 as well.

picnic

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 01:01:15 pm »

You're right Lisa.  My recollection is that it's in the manual for the 4800 and so likely true for the 3800 as well.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=94565\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

To quote the 3800 manual, pg. 72 (I saw it somewhere else in the manual also).
"Finest Detail for sharper edges on vector-based data including text, graphics, and line art."

Diane

jjlphoto

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 02:33:14 pm »

Thanks Diane.

I printed my targets with it clicked on, but as another post indicated, it should make no difference for those targets.
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

Gregory

• http://www.gregory.hk
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 09:54:31 pm »

has anyone printed targets from Aperture yet?

I don't use Photoshop. in an attempt to turn off all colour adjustment in Aperture, I turned it off in the Driver settings and set Colour Management in Aperture's print dialog to 'System Managed'. I couldn't see any other way of ensuring the least amount of auto-adjustment.

the information about using Epson Premium Luster media setting for the Innova F-Type is useful to know. thank you for that hint. that'll save me a lot of headaches and money. the Innova is not cheap!

I'm finding that my colours are not as saturated on paper as they are on the screen. can this be fixed with a print setting or is it confirmation that I need a custom profile? (which I'm preparing to do)

regards,
Gregory
Gregory's Blog: [url=http://www.gregory.

Stephen Best

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 10:10:50 pm »

I forgot some of the basics of this driver. I read that turning "high speed" off (unchecked) turns off bi-directional printing for better quality, but what about the check box for "finest detail"? I am printing some profiling targets today and want to make them right.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=94528\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If it's the same as the 4800/7800/9800, Finest Detail resamples the image to 720x720 ppi prior to dithering for output. The default is 360x360 ppi ... which is why you'll get the best results if your file is sharpened and sent to the driver at this resolution. Finest Detail may improve detail in some cases but for targets it should make no difference. I don't use it myself, but do up the output resolution to 2880 dpi on PK papers when starting with a quality original. 2880 dpi bidirectional works great on my 4800/7800, and is much improved over previous models. Make sure you've done a recent alignment with the same paper, or at least a paper with the same thickness.

I should add that if you've got a 240 ppi workflow, Finest Detail may give you better results as the driver resampling is likely pretty crude. Do a test with and without.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 10:32:27 pm by Stephen Best »
Pages: [1]   Go Up