Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rocky Mountain National Park  (Read 3709 times)

DaveLon

Rocky Mountain National Park
« on: January 07, 2007, 02:13:32 pm »

Will be spending a week just outside Rocky Mountain National Park in June. (Colorado)

Worried about what weather to expect.

Any suggestions on the best trails. Nothing over 10 km. (6 miles)

Thanks

Dave
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 02:13:58 pm by DaveLon »

Hank

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 09:43:50 am »

Doesn't look like any life is stirring here, so I'd post your request over at the Rocky Mountain Nature Photographers, part of Naturephotographers.net.  Lots of those folks are from the greater Denver area, and RMNP is a frequent discussion topic.  You'll find the participants really friendly and helpful.

gkroeger

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 03:28:50 pm »

Dave:

Weather in June is usually pretty good. Sometimes a late snow can fall in early June. Late June is typically dry since the Monsoons haven't started yet.

The park is large, and trails abundant. One large cluster of trails eminates from the Bear Lake area. The most popular of these is the trail to Nymph, Dream and Emerald Lakes. These trails are nice in the early morning, but become crowded by mid-morning. In June, expect snow (maybe a lot this year?) in patches and ice in/on the higher lakes. Many trails from Bear Lake lead to high tarn lakes in glacial cirques such as Blacks lake.

I would recommend a trip to REI or some other store to pick up a book on trails in RMNP.

Glenn

DaveLon

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 08:12:25 am »

Thanks all.

Dave

sbacon

• http://baconphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 05:17:09 pm »

The RMNP Forums is also a great resource with a bunch of nice and helpful people. Enjoy your trip!

raptorsys

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 05:07:27 pm »

I was at the RMNP for almost a week in mid September and had a great time but would have preferred to be there a few weeks later during the rut.  As it was the males were beginning to get more serious about building and defending the harems and I had a good time photographing them from a place not very far from Estes Park.

Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up