Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi - First Post, First Website.  (Read 4488 times)

Pehpsi

Hi - First Post, First Website.
« on: January 07, 2007, 06:12:27 am »

hi, my name is james and just found this site today, and love it. so much to learn my brain hurts

i picked up a camera less than a year ago and am teaching myself photography, and i love it, and want to do it forever. sometimes it gets me down because i want to be 'good' right away, but these thinks take time i've been told...

anyway, a mate did a site for me, and wanted to share and see what you think, cheers...

JRP
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 06:12:57 am by Pehpsi »
Nikon D70
12-24 DX 18-70 DX 70-300 Tamro

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 09:52:12 am »

Welcome James.

Checked out your site. In general I'm not a fan of flash-driven sites, but on my fast connection yours loads pretty fast. Folks on slower connections might have something to say about it though! I'd also like a way to be able to click through a gallery's shots sequentially without having to click each thumbnail individually--if there is a way to do this I couldn't find it. If I had my druthers I'd not have stuff moving about so much as I find it distracting. But your mate who designed the site knows what s/he's doing in the technical realm! [Aside: my site is in need of revision and I'm struggling with cost and design issues, so looking at others' sites is a parlor game with me right now.]

The work I like the best are the more abstract or geometric images--the beams of light from the stadium lightpole; the parachutist bracing against his chute; the opera house and its reflection at night. Those are well seen and well done. My personal preference--I'm usually left cold by most scenic-type landscapes, unless they contain a strong graphic or geometric component. Just my eye I guess.

You'll like it here. Lotsa folks with a wealth of knowledge and experience to share. Most are tame, but there are a few spider monkeys--they look friendly until you put your hand through the bars!
michael sebast

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 03:35:18 am »

Hi James, and welcome to the list.  I think you have a good eye, and the rest comes with practice and time.  Thanks for sharing you work.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Pehpsi

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 05:02:59 am »

thanks for having a look guys, appreciate it  look forward to using this site...
Nikon D70

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 03:40:22 am »

hi, my name is james and just found this site today, and love it. so much to learn my brain hurts

i picked up a camera less than a year ago and am teaching myself photography, and i love it, and want to do it forever. sometimes it gets me down because i want to be 'good' right away, but these thinks take time i've been told...

anyway, a mate did a site for me, and wanted to share and see what you think, cheers...

JRP
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=94280\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The shots are interesting, but

1. The thumbnails are so small as to be virtually worthless

2. What is the point of thumbnails which aren't visible unless the cursor is over (and, since they're so small, partly obscuring) them?

(15" PowerBook, 10.4.8, Safari)

Jeremy
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 03:40:42 am by kikashi »

Chris_T

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 08:15:51 am »

JRP
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Another reason I dislike flash is that your site says I don't have the right version to even open it! This thread may be of help to you:

[a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13890]http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=13890[/url]

Pehpsi

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 01:32:32 am »

hey, chris, cheers for feedback mate...

yeah, not many people like the thumbs, i can see why! it's a pretty new site so the feedback is good so we can make it better.

i just take the shots and know nothing about flash or the web, but i'll pass on your thoughts to my mate who designed it for me and see what hw thinks

thanks again..
Nikon D70
Pages: [1]   Go Up