Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPF5000 media type  (Read 3709 times)

ranord

IPF5000 media type
« on: January 06, 2007, 09:25:20 am »

Greetings,

I recently, day before yesterday, took possession of a Canon iPF5000 and my first order of business is to create custom profiles.  My initial delimna, with respect to making targets for the custom profiles, is the media type to use.  I have reviewed all of the information on the Canon iPF5000 wiki, a great resource btw, and have come up with the following 'best choices'.

Paper                                     Media
Epson Enhanced Matte             Premium Matte Paper
Epson Premium Semi-Matte      Heavyweight Semigloss
Moab Entrada 300 Bright          ?
Moab Entrada 300 Natural        ?
Moab Kayenta                         ?

For those that have profiled these papers on the Canon iPF5000 what have you found to be a good media type with which to make custom profiles for these papers.

Thanks, in advance.

Gary Damaskos

IPF5000 media type
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 02:30:47 pm »

It really is mostly or completely necesarry for you define the form of the paper - roll, sheet therefor cassette fed, or sheet intended for tray (1 at a time), or very thick and fed thru the strait path from front.
Check out the media guide and this should make more sense...
Gary

Greetings,

I recently, day before yesterday, took possession of a Canon iPF5000 and my first order of business is to create custom profiles.  My initial delimna, with respect to making targets for the custom profiles, is the media type to use.  I have reviewed all of the information on the Canon iPF5000 wiki, a great resource btw, and have come up with the following 'best choices'.

Paper                                     Media
Epson Enhanced Matte             Premium Matte Paper
Epson Premium Semi-Matte      Heavyweight Semigloss
Moab Entrada 300 Bright          ?
Moab Entrada 300 Natural        ?
Moab Kayenta                         ?

For those that have profiled these papers on the Canon iPF5000 what have you found to be a good media type with which to make custom profiles for these papers.

Thanks, in advance.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=94081\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

pellothed

IPF5000 media type
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 12:52:22 am »

Moab Entrada Bright White and Moab Kayenta are nearly identical, very hard to tell the difference without touching as the coating is very similar.  I'm printing both with the IPF5000 and can tell you a few things.  I'm printing mulitple exposure photos that look much more like abstract paintings than photos.  The paper is much lower contrast than a photo type paper, it looks great for my use.  While I love the paper and the 5000 does a great job on it, its not a paper I would buy alot of having not ever seen any prints on it before (same goes for Kayenta, which is not nearly has heavy and less expensive, I use it for proofing Entrada).  I also wouldn't buy alot of it without having an already fairly specific use for it.  Most of my photos I would be more interested in printing on something like Ilford Pearl, or maybe Museo Silver Rag (but I've never used this and the Ilford only a few times on a different printer).

pellothed

IPF5000 media type
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 12:55:44 am »

I think I misunderstood your question.  I'm using the Fine Art Textured paper setting in the plugin and on the printer, seems to work the best for me on the Entrada, I'm using Saturation rendering intent and then pulling some red and yellow out of my blues using a selective color adjustment layer.  Because I'm feeding from the cassette on the Kayenta, I'm using Premium Matte Paper setting as the Fine Art Textured setting can't be fed from the cassette.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 12:42:40 pm by pellothed »

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
IPF5000 media type
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 09:06:56 am »

For those that have profiled these papers on the Canon iPF5000 what have you found to be a good media type with which to make custom profiles for these papers.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=94081\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm using an iPF8000 which has the same control over media settings. I suggest you print out (on cheap paper) the listing of all your media settings. Use the control panel or the printer utility to do it.

There will be all the paper parameters listed in a clear fashion. All of them can be changed according to your needs. They are changed at the control panel though, not in the online Media Control Center (but I wish it were so).

In your case you would change a media setting according to the paper you wish to use.

What is unclear about these media settings is if there are other "hidden" parameters within each media setting such as head height, platen gap, and most importantly, maximum ink laydown.
~ CB

thompsonkirk

• http://www.red-green-blue.com
IPF5000 media type
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 02:03:04 pm »

Did you notice that the Wiki recommends the plain matte photo setting rather than the premium, if you're using EEM in the cassette?  I have no idea why there'd be a difference for cassette, roll, & 'tray,' but I'm using the regular Photo Matte setting & my profile works fine via PS plug-in & cassette.  iPF5000 successfully eliminates the mushy greens that were typical of Epson drivers.

John Hollenberg

IPF5000 media type
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 05:59:23 pm »

Did you notice that the Wiki recommends the plain matte photo setting rather than the premium, if you're using EEM in the cassette?  I have no idea why there'd be a difference for cassette, roll, & 'tray,' but I'm using the regular Photo Matte setting & my profile works fine via PS plug-in & cassette.  iPF5000 successfully eliminates the mushy greens that were typical of Epson drivers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=94358\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Wiki recommends plain matte photo because someone posted they had good results.  Doesn't necessarily mean this is the best setting.  I looked through and tried to find reliable reports of good results or a consensus.  In general, you should consider the Media Type as a starting point, not necessarily the final destination.

--John

ranord

IPF5000 media type
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 09:37:14 am »

Thanks for the replies.

Using the media guide and printing density charts, from inkjetart.com, I have narrowed the selection down to:

Moab Estrada, both natural and bright, - Fine Art Photo

Epson Enhanced Matte - Matte Photo Paper (i was hoping for Premium Matte Paper since Matte Photo Paper does not support rolls)

Moab Kayenta - Premium Matte Paper

Today I get my Epson Premium Semi-Matte and will try some of the semi-gloss/special types on this.

It's a bit curious to me as to why Canon restricts some of the paper paths for certain types of media.  For instance why is Premium Matte supported on rolls and Matte Photo is not.  The most obvious answer is that Canon's Matte Photo Paper is not available in rolls.  But in a very competitive printer marketplace one would thing that Canon would want to appeal to the broadest market.  In the long term more money is spent on ink and paper so locking a person into your brand of paper makes you a double winner.

Thanks again, and if there is anyone that has custom profiled any of these papers and cares to share the media type used I'd be interested.

Roger

ternst

IPF5000 media type
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 10:03:49 am »

One issue that I have had with Canon rolls is that they are on 2" cores instead of 3" cores - this makes a huge difference to me in how flat the prints are. The only ones I've tried have been 24" rolls of their heavy gloss and luster, but I assume their other rolls are the same. This one fact alone will cause me to use other papers that have a 3" core...
Pages: [1]   Go Up