Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First time poster... Two images from Nepal  (Read 3774 times)

mtselman

• http://public.fotki.com/mtselman
First time poster... Two images from Nepal
« on: January 05, 2007, 06:04:25 pm »

Hello,

I have been reading this forum for quite some time and found wealth of information and opinions here.
I would like to hear critique and suggestions on these two images. They have been taken in Nepal in the Annapurna region.

Thank you,

--Misha

[attachment=1471:attachment][attachment=1472:attachment]

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 08:32:10 pm »

Hi Misha, and welcome to the list.  Thanks for sharing your work, as well.  I'd say both shots are well done, but since you've asked for comments, I'd say the first one has too much extraneous background above and behind the temple, and with the second one, the horizon is slightly tilted.  While it's difficult to determine an actual 'horizon' in the mountains, I'm going by the coloured bands in the sky.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

mtselman

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 09:58:13 am »

Hi Misha, and welcome to the list.  Thanks for sharing your work, as well.  I'd say both shots are well done, but since you've asked for comments, I'd say the first one has too much extraneous background above and behind the temple, and with the second one, the horizon is slightly tilted.  While it's difficult to determine an actual 'horizon' in the mountains, I'm going by the coloured bands in the sky.

Mike.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=94003\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you Mike!

I can see now that the second photo is indeed slightly tilted (going by the colour bands in the sky).
Now, to your other comment about the "too much background" in the first photo. Do you mean by that, that the image should be cropped to remove the background, so that the ratio of the main subject to the surrounding area become bigger, or do you mean I should darken/blurr/etc... the background to make it less distracting?
Would appreciate your comment on this.

--Misha

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 05:21:21 pm »

No, I wouldn't crop it necessarily.  When I first look at the image my eye goes right to the temple, then starts wandering around for other things to look at... there's the buildings at the bottom, the nice light on the outcrop behind the temple, then I start exploring the hillside behind the temple and there's really not much to see there.  So, I'd darken that area and/ or add some blur so the eye doesn't stay there trying to find something more to look at but goes back and examines the rest of the image again.

My $0.02

Mike.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 05:22:17 pm by wolfnowl »

mtselman

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 10:29:23 pm »

No, I wouldn't crop it necessarily.  When I first look at the image my eye goes right to the temple, then starts wandering around for other things to look at... there's the buildings at the bottom, the nice light on the outcrop behind the temple, then I start exploring the hillside behind the temple and there's really not much to see there.  So, I'd darken that area and/ or add some blur so the eye doesn't stay there trying to find something more to look at but goes back and examines the rest of the image again.

My $0.02

Mike.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=94198\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mike, thanks again for your comment. Here is my attemt at darken/blurring the background. I also straightened it up a little bit. Cannot really decide wich version I like more, but I certainly see your point and how the new image pinpoints the attention.
What do you think?
Anyone else cares to comment?

--Misha
[attachment=1477:attachment]

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 02:12:01 am »

Much better...

Mike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up