Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need a lens hood for a CANON 600MM F4 (w/o IS)  (Read 3499 times)

michaelnotar

I need a lens hood for a CANON 600MM F4 (w/o IS)
« on: January 05, 2007, 12:55:04 am »

i have a canon ef 600mm f4L USM (without image stablization) and i need a new lens hood. i understand this lens and the new version use two different hoods, but are they intechangable?

the locking mechanism broke on my old lens hood and i damaged the screw holes that attach it to the hood removing it. i would like to not replace the hood since its $550+, can canon help me and get a new one attached some how?

i have tried every thing in the book for glues but want to get a permanent solution, hopefully without buying a new hood, but i'll do it if i have to.

thanks
mn

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 08:25:50 am »

i have a canon ef 600mm f4L USM (without image stablization) and i need a new lens hood. i understand this lens and the new version use two different hoods, but are they intechangable?

the locking mechanism broke on my old lens hood and i damaged the screw holes that attach it to the hood removing it. i would like to not replace the hood since its $550+, can canon help me and get a new one attached some how?

i have tried every thing in the book for glues but want to get a permanent solution, hopefully without buying a new hood, but i'll do it if i have to.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93802\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Mike,

I don't know if the new hoods are interchangeable with yours, but I had the same problem with an old FD 300 f2.8L lens. The spring-loaded catch broke within a month of ownership and because I was in Asia at the time, I couldn't just "send it in".

My solution was to lose the spring-loaded mechanism altogether and construct an attachment that used a small, knurled screw to apply pressure to the lens. This attached the hood with a much better grip and never failed in 20-some years of use.

In your case, you've stripped out the mount holes in the hood, so simply tap out the holes to a larger thread size and mount a threaded metal plate which would hold a knurled screw. It's easier than you think.

In my case, I walked into a True Value Hardware store and the guy knew right away what was needed. I walked out in ten minutes with a new hood attachment mechanism.
~ CB

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 04:47:08 pm »

My solution was to lose the spring-loaded mechanism altogether and construct an attachment that used a small, knurled screw to apply pressure to the lens. This attached the hood with a much better grip and never failed in 20-some years of use.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93848\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If going down this route it is important to not make the join too good !

You want to go for what is called 'fail soft design' where a knock to the hood will make the hood fall off at a lower force than , for instance, ripping the lense from the body or damaging the main lense structure

or dropping the lense  first the hood comes off absorbing some of the force on the lense during the impact

Maybe nylon screws

This join, like flash hotshoes, is weak on purpose as it 'fails soft' preventing greater damages occuring in drop or knock situations - hense the spring load design initially implemented

SMM
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up