Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Eizo CE 240w Color Navigator Problems  (Read 59863 times)

frankiegee

Eizo CE 240w Color Navigator Problems
« on: January 04, 2007, 08:39:56 pm »

Good Evening to All:
I am using a powermac G5 with this new monitor and an Optix XR Pro; when I opened Color Navigator to calibrate, the software said 'failed to detect monitor'. I've spoken to Eizo tech support several times without solution. I've downloaded the newest version of Color Navigator, unplugged and re-plugged the usb cables, deleted the CN new software, reinstalled,etc. I still get the 'failure to detect monitor' dialogue. I've posted on various forums without a single response so I'm really looking for some help. In my Preferences/Display on the mac, only the resolution is listed (1920x1200); is this as it should be? Under the usb display in the hardware listing, the monitor is listed as Eizo USB HD Monitor (as is the Optix when plugged in); I know there is a learning curve with everything new but I'm stuck at 'flatline'. Can anyone please assist? I'm grateful in advance for any help. Thank you.

pixel wrangler

• http://www.homepage.mac.com/fastpics
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 11:32:21 pm »

Hi Frank, I just got a new CE210W and just calibrated it using the Color Navigator Software, and puck from Gretag-Macbeth's eye-one display 2. Your XR puck should be fine.

I used the Eizo supplied USB cable to go from the connector on the back of the monitor to the front of my G5, and the puck I just plugged into an available USB port on my keyboard. Monitor is recognized, and successfully calibrated/profiled.

This might matter;  do you have your monitor connected to the computer using the Apple DVI adapter thing. When you switch on your computer or wake it from sleep, does the message that appears momentarily in the upper right of your screen say analog or digital? If it says analog then remove the adapter and use the correct Eizo supplied cable to connect the monitor to the G5. I'm not sure, but I think you need the digital connection to properly do the hardware calibration.  

FWIW, my G5 is an early single processor 1.8gHz machine running OS 10.4.8.Hope this helps.

ron

frankiegee

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 06:49:20 am »

Pixel Wrangler: Thank you for your response. I do have the monitor connected via DVI and it is listed as Digital Signal 1. Is your usb cable from the monitor always connected? How is your monitor listed in your Preferences/Display tab? I appreciate your time; I am really confused as to why Color Navigator does not detect my monitor but my computer does? Thanks again.

jjlphoto

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 10:28:53 am »

.....Is your usb cable from the monitor always connected?....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93836\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The USB cable has to be connected in order to do the cal/profile. For normal operation, no. Make sure it is a USB port on the computer, not off the keyboard.

Also make sure to do all the usual Mac OS maintance routines, IE- Repair Permissions, Cache Clean Out, Maintainance Crons, etc.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 10:30:55 am by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

pixel wrangler

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 11:26:45 am »

Frank, as John Luke says, the USB cable need be connected only during calibration/profiling, and don't connect that cable to your keyboard. For me it was OK to connect the puck only via the keyboard.

My system preferences/displays shows my monitor as CE210W and displays the in-use resolution, as it should.

I didn't mention it because I do it regularly, but JL's suggestion to repair permissions and run the daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance routines should be heeded.

After you've done all that, restart the machine, connect your monitor, then launch the program. If the monitor still isn't recognized I'd jump on the phone to Eizo and file a warranty claim.

ron

frankiegee

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 06:45:42 pm »

John and Ron,
Thank you very much for your time and assistance. I've never done the maintenace routines; can you explain how or point me to where I can be educated? I'm wondering if the fact that my monitor is not named in the Preferences/Display section but recognized in the Hardware/USB section is the root of the problem. Thanks again for your time.

pixel wrangler

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 07:46:54 pm »

Frank, if you navigate to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility you'll get to where you need to be to repair permissions. I don't really even know exactly what permissions are (some OS thing) but they  can become damaged any number of ways, and need periodic fixing. If you neglect this for too long your computer can get very sketchy.

In the window you'll see all the hard drives connected to your computer. Find the one that has your system on it and click on it. You should then be able to click on the options to verify, and repair permissions. I just skip the verify and go straight to repair. The program will run and you may see many, many messages pop up as permission problems are detected and repaired. Eventually you'll get to see a message stating permissions repair is complete. You can quit the program. It's a good idea to repair permissions before and just after you install new software, especially OS upgrades, if had a power failure while the computer was running, or if it just starts acting like a PC!

There are other maintenance tasks which the OS will run automatically if you leave it on 24/7. Otherwise you should do them manually. In applications/utilities/terminal is where you go. You'll see what i'll call a command line. Type in the following:"sudo periodic daily" only don't include the quotes, and hit enter. The program will ask you for your password. Type that in, hit enter, and the program will run. It may take a minute. Once that's done you'll get the flashing cursor back. Repeat the process only this time type in:    sudo periodic weekly. You won't need to re-enter your password. This one takes the longest and could be three or four or five minutes. As long as you hear your hard drive making thinking noises there's no reason for concern. Once that's finished repeat one final time, only substitute monthly for weekly. Upon completion you can quit the program.  There's an inexpensive program call Macaroni which can do all this for you, but I just do it myself.

Apart from not letting your system drive (or any) get so full it can run itself, there really isn't much other housekeeping to do on a Mac, AFAIK.

Hope this all helps. I'm really curious to see if you're able to get your computer to see your monitor. My reasons for choosing the more expensive Eizo over the Apple or LaCie monitors were the ability to do a hardware calibration, and the five year warranty.

Good Luck.

ron
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 07:51:46 pm by pixel wrangler »

frankiegee

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 08:11:36 pm »

Ron,
Again, thanks so much for your time and help. I also bought the Eizo for the sophisticated calibration ability which I obviously cannot do. I will do as you suggest and keep you posted. When I originally downloaded the upgrade to color navigator, then deleted it and attempted to reinstall from the color navigator disk that shipped with the monitor, it responded by telling me there was nothing to install! Of course, I again downloaded the upgraded version of color navigator, which sits in my Utilities folder. Thanks again.

frankiegee

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 09:02:00 pm »

Ron,
I followed your instructions re: repair permissions, but the software still does not detect the monitor. I don't know what else to try. I don't know if the resolution showing only (in the Preferences/Display section) is indicative of something wrong; what's confusing is the monitor shows up in the Hardware/USB listing when connected by USB cable. I'm at a loss but I do thank you for the time you've taken to offer me your suggestions.

LasseDPF

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 06:17:36 am »

Hi,

I have an Eizo CG21 and to be recognized correctly is has to be connected directly to my G5. Not via a USB HUB. No idea why, but if it is not connected directly the calibration fails.

Hope this helps.

Lasse

Good Evening to All:
I am using a powermac G5 with this new monitor and an Optix XR Pro; when I opened Color Navigator to calibrate, the software said 'failed to detect monitor'. I've spoken to Eizo tech support several times without solution. I've downloaded the newest version of Color Navigator, unplugged and re-plugged the usb cables, deleted the CN new software, reinstalled,etc. I still get the 'failure to detect monitor' dialogue. I've posted on various forums without a single response so I'm really looking for some help. In my Preferences/Display on the mac, only the resolution is listed (1920x1200); is this as it should be? Under the usb display in the hardware listing, the monitor is listed as Eizo USB HD Monitor (as is the Optix when plugged in); I know there is a learning curve with everything new but I'm stuck at 'flatline'. Can anyone please assist? I'm grateful in advance for any help. Thank you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93778\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Lasse Morkhagen

jjlphoto

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 07:23:08 am »

Do you have a laptop or other computer you can install ColorNavigator in and hook up the monitor to to test it out?
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

frankiegee

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 11:47:56 am »

Lasse, thank you for your input. John, I again thank you for your time and interest in my dilemma. Yes, I have a laptop but it's a ten year old relic that isn't functional and doesn't even have a proper pin connection for the monitor. I checked and its about the size of a large fingernail. Great suggestion though. Thanks again. You guys here are great! I'm still open to any suggestions/advice, etc. and will keep checking back.

pixel wrangler

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 12:10:04 pm »

Shoulda thought of this sooner. duh. Is your problem this simple? Are you using a generic usb cable to connect the monitor from one of its ports on the side? If so, that would explain why the computer recognizes the monitor at a usb port connection. Remove that cable, replace it with the Eizo supplied cable MD-C93. Connect one end to the port on the BACK of the monitor next to the video cable connectors.  You'll see the cable has different ends and it fits only one way.

Keep us posted.

ron

frankiegee

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 12:20:45 pm »

Hello Ron:
Thanks for spending time considering this problem. I do have the Eizo supplied usb cable hooked up from the monitor to the computer. By the way, the Duh! solutions are often my problem solvers - just wished this was one of those times. But let's not give up hope; with my track record, one of these 'gems' might still be the answer. Thanks again.

jjlphoto

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 12:59:39 pm »

I would still try to find someone who has a more current Mac and will let you install Color Navigator. That will help you rule out some variables.
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

frankiegee

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2007, 02:01:10 pm »

John, I thank you again. I don't know anyone close by who uses a mac, but thanks. I do need to rule out variables as you state.

jackbingham

• http://www.integrated-color.com
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 09:31:31 am »

Frank I would bet this is a usb issue. Have you tried a different cable and or a different connection to your computer. You could also download a demo of ColorEyes Display and see if the hardware is detected by it.  http://www.integrated-color.com/Merchant2/...ategory_Code=DL
Jack Bingham
Integrated Color Corp Maker

frankiegee

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 08:30:32 pm »

Jack,
Thanks so much for your input. I have tried different connections but will try a different cable. As I've mentioned before, the hardware (the monitor and the Optix puck) are recognized in the Hardware/USB section of 'About this Mac' but the Color Navigator refuses to detect the monitor. I'm taking off from work tomorrow and I'll be telephoning the tech support at Eizo and then moving up the ladder of people to speak with; I'll let everyone who has been kind enough to take interest in my plight what occurs. Thanks again.

jjlphoto

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 08:47:31 pm »

I just tried my ColorEdge CG21 with Color Navigator v4.0.0 on a PPC G4 Mac OSX10.4.8. Two available USB ports directly on the computer are needed.

I have it connected via the DVI cord into a direct DVI out, and am using a generic 3' USB cable hooked directly to a computer USB output to the monitor.

I can launch Color Navigator with my i1Pro device attached by selecting my device in the pull down that comes up when I launch the app, and hitting OK.

I can also launch Color Navigator with no device attached, I select my measurement device in the pull down, hit OK, and answer Ignore when the box comes up stating Failing to detect measurement device...... All launches fine as well.
----------------------------------------------------

Now- if I remove the USB cable that connects the monitor to the computer and do the following:

With device attached, I can launch Color Navigator with my i1Pro device attached by selecting my device in the pull down that comes up when I launch the app, and hitting OK. Then a box comes up that states Adjustment capable monitor cannot be found. The monitor cannot be adjusted with the current status.

With no device attached, I launch Color Navigator, select my measurement device in the pull down, hit OK, and answer Ignore. I then get a box that reads Initialization error, failed to detect monitor and measurement device...

Can you launch it in either of the described ways?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 09:02:12 pm by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

frankiegee

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2007, 09:12:07 pm »

John,
Thank you for again writing and offering your suggestions. I appreciate the time you are taking to help me. I was under the impression (maybe wrongly) that I didn't have to load the Optix XR Pro drivers on the Mac but the tech support at Eizo said I must load them. When I just clicked on the device application, it said that I must have an 'activation code' to use this device. As the Monaco place of contact is closed at this hour, I'll have to wait til the morning. I'll get the activation code and do as you suggested. Oddly, the application said I could use the device without the activation code for 14 days, but it doesn't let me enter the application without the code. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. With a ray of hope your suggestions have offered me, maybe this is the problem. Wonder if that would explain 'monitor not detected'? John, thanks again for your assistance.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up