Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HPz3100 availability and reviews  (Read 4482 times)

ricgal

HPz3100 availability and reviews
« on: January 04, 2007, 03:16:23 pm »

Does anyone know when the z3100 will be available on the UK market and are there any in depth reviews of it out there.
Thanks
www.ricbower.com- Art and Fashion Photog

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 03:18:17 pm »

michael

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 03:19:53 pm »

My Z3100 review will be online tomorrow, (Friday, Dec 4, 06)

Michael

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 03:23:15 pm »

My Z3100 review will be online tomorrow, (Friday, Dec 4, 06)

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93700\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm really excited to read it. I'm thinking about the printer a lot,  but except the outbackphoto, there are not to many reviews. So I'm looking for tomorrow.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

usinare

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 03:24:10 pm »

michael,  are you referring to dec 4 3006. that's 100 years away.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 03:33:27 pm »

michael,  are you referring to dec 4 3006. that's 100 years away.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93702\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That would be almost 1000 years away.

michael

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 03:46:57 pm »

Let's see. I can fix the typo and delete the messages. Fix the typo and leave the messages. Or, do nothing.

I'll simply leave it as is and confuse the hell out of everyone.

Michael

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 04:02:08 pm »

Yesterdy Tim Brown, Senior Engineer of The Thomas Kinkade Company, claimed on the Colorsync list:

"Print quality - WOW!!! The gamut is huge! The dots are
imperceptable...it's like an epson that is running perfectly (I assume,
I never got any of my epsons to run without banding, nozzle problems,
and etc).  Even colors that traditionally coalesce due to high ink
density look amazing.  I've been printing all sorts of things that have
never looked good on a printer before.  Does not compare to any printer
I have ever used before, and I have used or purchased from all
manufacturers' printers, extensively."

This was for a Z2100
Interesting reaction from a person in this position with such experience .
Cheers,
Brian
www.pharoseditions.com.au

ricgal

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 04:44:58 am »

Thanks Michael
Will look forward to it!
www.ricbower.com- Art and Fashion Photog

EvoM

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 05:48:02 am »

Saw one in Melbourne (Australia) a few days ago with comparison prints to an Epson 7800 and it was chalk and cheese although I think custom profiles for the Epson would have helped. I'd already had some files printed but got some more while I was there...pretty quick although why do they all seem to hesitate after actual printing finishes before spitting out a print?

Also, I'm interested to see if Micheal believes some type of rip is necessary for the Z3100 or if the standard HP software is good enough for say just images (pixels). I had a quick HP print software run through and there seemed to be lots of well written and easy to follow dialogue windows. I understand there is a HP Rip available too.

Also a definitive answer in regards to expected print head life would be great please Micheal!

ps. the rep emailed me saying the ink cartidges would soon be availbale in twin packs, at a reduced cost too.

Evo

pps. the gloss optomiser works well but will probably run out way sooner if you use it a lot as it coats the entire print and a small top & bottom edge.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 05:52:18 am by EvoM »

Tim Ernst

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 07:19:34 am »

"pretty quick although why do they all seem to hesitate after actual printing finishes before spitting out a print?"

" the gloss optomiser works well but will probably run out way sooner if you use it a lot as it coats the entire print and a small top & bottom edge."

Evo:

The drying time after the print is completed is adjustable from short to long or not at all - so it can spit out the print as soon as it is finished if desired. This is an option in case you are stacking prints up unattended and want to make sure the ink is completely dry before the next print is piled on.

You also have an option on the gloss ink too - none, all of the inked areas (would not cover extreme highlights where there is no ink laid down), or the entire print (including all the white borders and the highlights). If you always have the gloss ink cover the the entire print and white borders then it will drink this ink in a hurry! Unfortunately you cannot have it just use the gloss ink on the printed area and highlights (where there is no ink on the page) without covering the border too - seems like that would have been an easy job.

At the moment HP is out of about half of the ink carts and you can't buy them anywhere that I have found - listed on their web page as still at least a week away, although that date keeps getting later and later. The ink that is left in the carts after the initial setup is quite a bit though - in fact something like 80% plus, so you have lots of ink to print with while HP figures out how to get the rest of their ink carts...

I've had my z3100 for a week now and have had some paper handling issues and am waiting for the next promised firmware update ("coming soon"). The printer seems kind of slow to me, especially compared to my Epsons and Canon, but I expect this will become my main printer and am looking forward to using it more (and to Michael's review so I can find out all sorts of great things about this printer)...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 07:22:29 am by Tim Ernst »

Gemmtech

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 08:35:41 am »

Just an FYI, here in Pennsylvania, USA Friday (this) will be January 5th, 2007 so I'm hopeful that the review is today!!    

I can't really see the Z3100 adding a lot in the way of quality, these inkjets are all so very good right now and I believe it's more user than machine at this point.  Please Michael don't take offense, I read your recent article and I do believe that having great equipment is important, but I still believe lesser equipment in the hands of a pro will produce a better product than great equipment in the hands of a neophyte.  

I'm looking forward to your review, because I'm sure it will be one of if not the best review out there.

Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up