Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800  (Read 3280 times)

Sunny16Miami

Epson 3800
« on: January 04, 2007, 02:37:12 pm »

I have been watching this topic list and have read the concerns and frustrations from the "early adopters" of the Epson 3800.  I think I may have been one of the first to purchase the unit and am thrilled with its performance but have been frustrated by results I have been getting from everything but the Epson Profiles on Epson Paper.  The Hanhamule profiles, which are listed as 4800/3800 have just been a disappointment.

Until I purchased the 3800 I was using a 2400 with the Imageprint RIP from Colorbyte Software which gave me terrific output.  I called Imageprint yesterday to get an estimate of when the 3800 Software would be available and was surprised and excited to learn that it became available yesterday. I took a deep breath, gave em the credit card, and they were able to provide me the "patch" and encryption code in less than an hour.

Based upon just a few prints I was able to make last night, I'm happy to report that the output of the 3800 with the Imageprint RIP appears to be better than expected. I think Michael said he would be doing a full review.

Happy printing....

jjlphoto

Epson 3800
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 02:48:34 pm »

am thrilled with its performance but have been frustrated by results I have been getting from everything but the Epson Profiles on Epson Paper.  The Hanhamule profiles, which are listed as 4800/3800 have just been a disappointment.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93689\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have never had much luck with the free profiles from the paper vendors. I make my own.
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

Sunny16Miami

Epson 3800
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 02:51:08 pm »

I have never had much luck with the free profiles from the paper vendors. I make my own.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93693\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What do you use to profile your paper/printers?  I am trying to figure out it is worth it for me to do my own profiles...

peterfromlondon

Epson 3800
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 02:52:26 pm »

Quote from: Sunny16Miami,Jan 4 2007, 08:37 PM
I have been watching this topic list and have read the concerns and frustrations from the "early adopters" of the Epson 3800.  I think I may have been one of the first to purchase the unit and am thrilled with its performance but have been frustrated by results I have been getting from everything but the Epson Profiles on Epson Paper.  The Hanhamule profiles, which are listed as 4800/3800 have just been a disappointment.

Until I purchased the 3800 I was using a 2400 with the Imageprint RIP from Colorbyte Software which gave me terrific output.  I called Imageprint yesterday to get an estimate of when the 3800 Software would be available and was surprised and excited to learn that it became available yesterday. I took a deep breath, gave em the credit card, and they were able to provide me the "patch" and encryption code in less than an hour.

Based upon just a few prints I was able to make last night, I'm happy to report that the output of the 3800 with the Imageprint RIP appears to be better than expected. I think Michael said he would be doing a full review.

Happy printing....

Hi,
I am also looking for papers for this printer and would be interested which Hanhamule paper are you very pleased with?

Regards, Peter

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Epson 3800
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 03:39:20 pm »

I called Imageprint yesterday to get an estimate of when the 3800 Software would be available and was surprised and excited to learn that it became available yesterday.

Cool! Need to get my update and test. They did that pretty quick. Have you tried the PTA (Print Through Application) yet? I want that for Lightroom.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Sunny16Miami

Epson 3800
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 04:12:45 pm »

Quote from: peterfromlondon,Jan 4 2007, 03:52 PM
Quote from: Sunny16Miami,Jan 4 2007, 08:37 PM

Happy printing....

Hi,
I am also looking for papers for this printer and would be interested which Hanhamule paper are you very pleased with?

Regards, Peter
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93695\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I LOVE the Photo Rag 308,a flat, matt-ink paper, which, I find, is the best for fine-art photography and B&W.  It not only creates a wonderful "photo-artistic" image but, at that weight, if FEELS, like a piece of art in your hands.  

Jay

For semi-gloss I have been working with the Fine Art Pearl, which, many complain has optical brightners which may reduce its archival value.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Epson 3800
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 06:29:26 pm »

Got the update and the 3800 is running fine with ImagePrint. For an Intel Mac you have to jump through a few hoops and replace three folders of files manually but it's not difficult. Works now on the Intel Mac over a network.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up