Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripods in carry-on baggage - New Gitzo GT3540LS  (Read 9092 times)

aaykay

Tripods in carry-on baggage - New Gitzo GT3540LS
« on: January 03, 2007, 09:45:44 pm »

I was looking at the specs of the new Gitzo GT3540LS and was intrigued by its petite dimensions and weight.  Even though it is supposed to be a replacement for the 1348, this is shorter when fully extended, while another one of the 3540 range is taller than the 1348.

The specs are 57.5" when fully extended (no column), 21.7" when fully closed, 3.8lbs weight and 39.6lbs load capacity.

Since it is a relatively petite 21.7", would there be any problems in taking this into the airplane within the carry-on baggage ?  I hear rumors that tripods may not be allowed onto planes.

Would appreciate responses from recent travellers.

Paul Sumi

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 10:35:44 pm »

I was looking at the specs of the new Gitzo GT3540LS and was intrigued by its petite dimensions and weight.  Even though it is supposed to be a replacement for the 1348, this is shorter when fully extended, while another one of the 3540 range is taller than the 1348.

The specs are 57.5" when fully extended (no column), 21.7" when fully closed, 3.8lbs weight and 39.6lbs load capacity.

Since it is a relatively petite 21.7", would there be any problems in taking this into the airplane within the carry-on baggage ?  I hear rumors that tripods may not be allowed onto planes.

Would appreciate responses from recent travellers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93565\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I personally pack my Gitzo 1348 in my check-in duffle with no problems.  But I know people who regularly carry on similarly sized tripods.  I'd check with your airline, but even if they say okay, there is no guarantee that the TSA at the airport will allow it to be carried on.

It's a toss up whether to risk a tripod being stolen out of checked-in luggage versus having it refused at security.  So far, I've had no problems checking it in.

Paul

Paul
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 10:40:12 pm by PaulS »

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 11:08:55 pm »

I personally pack my Gitzo 1348 in my check-in duffle with no problems.  But I know people who regularly carry on similarly sized tripods.  I'd check with your airline, but even if they say okay, there is no guarantee that the TSA at the airport will allow it to be carried on.

It's a toss up whether to risk a tripod being stolen out of checked-in luggage versus having it refused at security.  So far, I've had no problems checking it in.

Paul

Paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93576\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've flown quite a bit all across the world and have had to check my aluminum Manfrotto twice. Both times in Holland, post 9/11. US's TSA didn't blink an eye. It doesn't fit in a carry-on so I just lug it around on a sling so it's quite conspicious.

As an aside, TSA confiscated my micro-Leatherman which has a 1" blade. This is after the new regulations which presumably allow such lethal contraptions. The funny/scary thing is that when you think about it, what do you think causes more damage when abused: a 1" folding blade or a 2 foot hunk of metal? Gotta love air travel.

aaykay

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 12:23:35 am »

I personally pack my Gitzo 1348 in my check-in duffle with no problems.  But I know people who regularly carry on similarly sized tripods.  I'd check with your airline, but even if they say okay, there is no guarantee that the TSA at the airport will allow it to be carried on.

I will check with the Airline.  The 1348 is a lot larger and I don't think it is sized to fit into carry-on bags.  The key reason for getting a 3-series with a total folded length of 21.7" is to have the option of carrying it onboard.  

If they have a problem with that, then it is disappointing.

aaykay

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 12:27:27 am »

I've flown quite a bit all across the world and have had to check my aluminum Manfrotto twice. Both times in Holland, post 9/11. US's TSA didn't blink an eye. It doesn't fit in a carry-on so I just lug it around on a sling so it's quite conspicious.

As an aside, TSA confiscated my micro-Leatherman which has a 1" blade. This is after the new regulations which presumably allow such lethal contraptions. The funny/scary thing is that when you think about it, what do you think causes more damage when abused: a 1" folding blade or a 2 foot hunk of metal? Gotta love air travel.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93579\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, in the post 9/11 world, nothing short of an Uzi will stop folks from taking on thugs in an airplane.  Confiscating a leatherman is a joke, to say the least.  I would term that as "barking up the wrong tree" !

aaykay

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 05:20:51 am »

Folks, a quick update.  I had no problems in carrying my new 5540LS (which replaced the 1548 in Gitzo's range) onto the flight in my cabin baggage.  The TSA was fine and the people in Amsterdam (where I was transiting through) had no problems either.

The 5540LS is significantly larger than the 3540LS or the 1348 and I had no desire to leave it at the tender mercies of the baggage handling staff at the various airports !  

ebowles

• http://www.bowlesimages.zenfolio.com
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 08:03:46 am »

I've had no problems with my Gitzo in the large padded bag for travel in the US.  Current TSA guidelines specifically exclude photo gear from the bag limits although airlines can impose their own restrictions.  Since it fits easily in the overhead bins, there is no problem.  Note that in the US, photo gear is in addition to the carry on allowance.

Europe is another story.  The one bag limit and converging size limitations are generally quite strictly enforced.  Photo gear has to fit within the allowed bag dimensions.  There are numerous reports about photographers being required to check gear.

My approach is to carry on my tripod in the US and pack it in my luggage for international travel.

Eric
Eric Bowles
Bowles Images [url=http://bo
Pages: [1]   Go Up