Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPF5000 Firmware 1.13 at Canon Japan  (Read 2817 times)

John Hollenberg

IPF5000 Firmware 1.13 at Canon Japan
« on: January 03, 2007, 08:44:23 pm »

Someone just posted to the Wiki that updated firmware 1.13 is available at Canon Japan.  Apparently, it has been there since 12/20/06 (or at least, that is the date on the web site):

http://cweb.canon.jp/drv-upd/bj4b/firmwin-ipf5000-2.html

Don't know if you have to read Japanese in order to install it or whether it would install on U.S. printers.  I wish Canon USA would get their act together and post these updates at the same time they get posted for other regions.

--John

Ed Dubois

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 10:20:53 pm »

Hi John

I'm expecting my printer at the end of this week or the beginning of next. As soon as I know what firmware it comes with I'll post that info. Do you or anyone else know if it would be kosher to share this firmare with other iPF5000 users if whatever version I get (assuming it's a new version) is newer than what's out there?

John Hollenberg

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 11:39:44 pm »

Ed,

I'm sure there won't be a newer version than 1.13, which is dated 12/20/06.  I just installed version 1.13 firmware without problems, as did another poster on the Wiki.  Probably wouldn't be a good idea to install during a thunderstorm, but otherwise looks pretty straightforward.  Install went as follows:

1) You get to choose English to do the install
2) Choose a directory to extract the files to
3) Go to the directory and run setup program
4) Have to reboot computer to finish install
5) Do the firmware update by choosing Start Menu -> programs -> GARO Firmware installer (which fooled me for a moment because it was at the very end of installed programs)
6) Installing firmware and rebooting printer (all automatic) took 2-3 minutes

The only change discovered so far (an hour or two) is that the ink cartridges and maintenance tank now apparently read in increments of 10% rather than 20%.  This is according to another poster to the Wiki.

Now I have to decide if I should just install the stuff from Canon Europe (plugin, etc.) that is updated.  Not sure if there is any difference in that stuff between countries.

--John

thompsonkirk

• http://www.red-green-blue.com
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 11:52:47 pm »

Has anyone located a Mac version on the Japanese site?

BTW, thanks for the Wiki: It's practically like having a manual!  

Kirk
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 12:02:27 am by thompsonkirk »

John Hollenberg

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 12:07:59 am »

Let us know when you notice differences?

BTW, thanks for the Wiki: It's practically like having a manual! 

It may be a while until I can check out the changes.  Most likely the guys who noticed subtle banding and other stuff that might be due to firmware will know what to look for and will probably install it after a couple dozen of us report that our printers didn't explode :-)

I would rather get Canon to tell us what the Firmware Update FIXES than try to guess what it does.  We have done enough guessing just trying to figure out how these printers work!

PS The Wiki may be BETTER better than having a manual, because:

1) The Wiki is written in plain English, not Canonese.  
2) We aren't afraid to point out the bugs--although we would be happy if Canon could convince us that the bugs (e.g., plugin doesn't center properly) aren't actually bugs.
3) The Wiki gets updated as soon as we discover something new, which essentially never happens with a manual.

--John

ericbullock

• http://www.mbsdirect.com
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 10:05:47 am »

I just integrated a printer yesterday that still has 1.08 on it (as does our demo unit). It would indeed be nice if Canon would tell us what this new firmware addresses. I also find it amusing that I have to go to different Canon sites to cobble together the latest software. Canada, Japan, etc. Ha!

-eric-

John Hollenberg

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 10:21:53 am »

Yes, there is a Mac version also.  Link added to the Wiki front page:

http://www.canonipf5000.wikispaces.com

--John
Pages: [1]   Go Up