Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ipf5000: unload roll paper when not in use  (Read 3748 times)

Bill J

• http://
ipf5000: unload roll paper when not in use
« on: January 03, 2007, 01:04:15 pm »

I went away for about five days and left a roll of Canon Satin Photographic paper (7 mil, 190 gsm) loaded in the printer. I turned off the printer before I left. The first print I made after I came back showed four dents made by the rollers attached to the auto roll feeder unit, exactly 1 1/2 inches from the leading edge.

I've also noticed some very shallow dents in the Canon Fine Art Bright White (20 mil, 330 gsm) after just a day or so of non-use. The light has to be at a very steep angle to see them, though. The printer was on, but sleeping, during this time.

So, I recommend that you not leave roll paper loaded for very long, or at least plan on trimming off the first 1.5 inches (3.8 cm) if it's been a few days since you used the printer.

BillJ

John Hollenberg

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 01:10:19 pm »

Good point!  I will add to Wiki FAQ.

--John

Gary Damaskos

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 01:10:21 pm »

Had similiar problem, even had tech guy come out -  basically decided it is better to remove roll paper if not printing within about 24 hours because of the dents - which suck of course. CS thought dents should not occur, but tech could not determine he could "fix" anything to make it different. So now I eject roll when finished printing from roll or if turning off overnight or longer. Easy enough to insert roll and get going again.
Gary

I went away for about five days and left a roll of Canon Satin Photographic paper (7 mil, 190 gsm) loaded in the printer. I turned off the printer before I left. The first print I made after I came back showed four dents made by the rollers attached to the auto roll feeder unit, exactly 1 1/2 inches from the leading edge.

I've also noticed some very shallow dents in the Canon Fine Art Bright White (20 mil, 330 gsm) after just a day or so of non-use. The light has to be at a very steep angle to see them, though. The printer was on, but sleeping, during this time.

So, I recommend that you not leave roll paper loaded for very long, or at least plan on trimming off the first 1.5 inches (3.8 cm) if it's been a few days since you used the printer.

BillJ
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93496\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bill J

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 01:46:05 pm »

So now I eject roll when finished printing from roll or if turning off overnight or longer. Easy enough to insert roll and get going again.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93499\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
When you eject the paper it prints the bar code on the roll, or course. I was disappointed the first time I loaded the roll paper back in, that it did not trim off the bar code before the first print. I looked to see if there was something under Media Detail Setting in the menu. The closest I found is Trim Edge First (Forced/No Cutting) [Whether to trim the roll for to make a smooth edge before printing], but that's not quite it.

Has anyone found a way to get the printer to slice off the bar code?

Bill J

serf

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 08:32:35 pm »

I have not found that either.  Also, according to the html manual, the up & down arrows are supposed to advance & retract the roll feed.  It doesn't work on mine.  Does it work on anyone else's (so we could advance &, maybe, force a cut)?

Bill J
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bill J

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 10:45:51 am »

Also, according to the html manual, the up & down arrows are supposed to advance & retract the roll feed.  It doesn't work on mine.  Does it work on anyone else's (so we could advance &, maybe, force a cut)?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93552\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, I noticed that the up and down keys don't advance and retract the roll paper on my printer either.

Gary Damaskos

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 11:15:07 am »

First my apology for not having the detail information - my schedule is crazy right now - but this may be of use -

Before I entered the roll length - I used the roll with No length entered (and I do not remember how things were set up but I was not asked and did not supply a length at first use). That way when I switched to cassette or other feeder it just backed out the roll with NO barcode!! Meaning it can be done, we - you just need to poke around a bit. I know for when this worked for me, it was when I did not have a length of roll entered, so there is a way to not have that entered in the menu somewhere, I will start there when I revisit this. Good luck.
Gary

When you eject the paper it prints the bar code on the roll, or course. I was disappointed the first time I loaded the roll paper back in, that it did not trim off the bar code before the first print. I looked to see if there was something under Media Detail Setting in the menu. The closest I found is Trim Edge First (Forced/No Cutting) [Whether to trim the roll for to make a smooth edge before printing], but that's not quite it.

Bill J
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Kalin Wilson

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 11:48:37 pm »

I figured out how to manually feed and cut paper tonight!  

1. Take the printer offline
2. Press and HOLD the down arrow to feed the paper forward
3. Press the menu button and navigate to "Force Cutting" and select 'Yes' to that setting. The paper will be cut.
4. Press online to reposition the paper for cutting.

I had a new roll that wouldn't feed. I finally figured out how to do this before removing the roll and manually cutting the leading edge square. The force cutting solved the problem (as far as I can tell).

I forgot to look at the end of this thread. Sorry if this solution has already been volunteered.

Kalin
Pages: [1]   Go Up