Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS3-Parametric Tone Curves  (Read 5333 times)

hubell

CS3-Parametric Tone Curves
« on: January 01, 2007, 08:21:38 pm »

Is there a reason why the parametric tone curve feature in Adobe Camera Raw was apparently not implemented in the "regular" curves tool in Photoshop CS3 and you are still limited to using point tone curves? It seems to me to be a very useful way of making tonal changes with the curves tool.

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 09:48:15 pm »

I was wondering the same thing.  Prehaps we should send in this request to Adobe.  I can get incredibly precise adjustments using the parametric tone curve in Camera Raw and miss this in photoshop CS3 beta. eleanor

Is there a reason why the parametric tone curve feature in Adobe Camera Raw was apparently not implemented in the "regular" curves tool in Photoshop CS3 and you are still limited to using point tone curves? It seems to me to be a very useful way of making tonal changes with the curves tool.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93212\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

hubell

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 10:23:48 pm »

I was wondering the same thing.  Prehaps we should send in this request to Adobe.  I can get incredibly precise adjustments using the parametric tone curve in Camera Raw and miss this in photoshop CS3 beta. eleanor
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93214\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Excellent idea. Maybe Adobe is "saving" this feature for the next update of PS(CS4) to help justify its postion as to why the new update is a must-have! I am sure Jeff Schewe has insight into this issue. Hopefully, he is monitoring LL.

PeterLange

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 01:20:14 pm »

Just to provide a reference on the term “parametric tone curve“ (see p. 5):

http://photoshopnews.com/stories/downloads...snewinPSCS3.pdf

Peter

--

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 02:24:39 pm »

Since you can adjust any jpeg or tiff in the ACR dialog using the parametric sliders, you essentially have that functionality if you really need it -- it's just not going to be sitting on top of your image as an adjustment layer inside Photoshop.  

However IMveryHO, once you learn to fully exploit the power of the curves tool, the parametric sliders are probably more in the way than they are of help.  IOW the existing dialog already provides all the adjustability you need, it just requires that the user knows how to generate the precise curve they want using points...

But hallelujahamen they finally combined levels with curves -- about freaking time!

Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

hubell

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 10:20:28 am »

Since you can adjust any jpeg or tiff in the ACR dialog using the parametric sliders, you essentially have that functionality if you really need it -- it's just not going to be sitting on top of your image as an adjustment layer inside Photoshop. 

However IMveryHO, once you learn to fully exploit the power of the curves tool, the parametric sliders are probably more in the way than they are of help.  IOW the existing dialog already provides all the adjustability you need, it just requires that the user knows how to generate the precise curve they want using points...

But hallelujahamen they finally combined levels with curves -- about freaking time!

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93322\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

1. Having the curve(s) as an adjustment layer is important.

2. Of course you can do everything with a point curve. If it gets in YOUR way, you can just revert to the point curve functionality. This way, everyone gets what they need to work efficiently.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 11:58:27 am »

1. Having the curve(s) as an adjustment layer is important.

2. Of course you can do everything with a point curve. If it gets in YOUR way, you can just revert to the point curve functionality. This way, everyone gets what they need to work efficiently.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=94311\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

HCB, I agree you can have both to please everybody, but IMO there is already too much redundancy in the way PS accomplishes many of its tasks and personally, I'd like to see the program streamlined a bit rather than more bloated.  

Do me a favor...  Load an image and toss a curves layer on top of it.  With the curves adjustment dialog open, do a CTRL/CMD-click on any areas you want to adjust.  A point will appear on the curve at each tonal value and lock it down. (Alternatively, you can simply put a point on the curve in any desired, shadow, deep shadow, midtone, highlight or bright highlight point just like on your parametric sliders.)  Now go back, activate a point by clicking on it and adjust the active point using your arrow keys. Repeat for each desired tone.  Do you really need more?  

Cheers,
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/
Pages: [1]   Go Up