Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LightRoom is laggy on my 'puter  (Read 5989 times)

point-n-shoot

LightRoom is laggy on my 'puter
« on: December 31, 2006, 07:46:04 pm »

Does anyone else find LR lags from time to time?  I especially notice it in the "Develop" mode when adjusting the sliders.  I'm running decent hardware (P4 3.2 with 4-Gigs of PC3200 DDR, dual 7800 SATA HD's in Raid-0 configuration and a GeForce 6800 GPU (running in Win XP Pro).  

I tried turning everything off in the background and LR was still giving my machine fits.  This is the only program that lags on my machine.  Could it be because I load all the photos in Library before developing them, or is it just because its a Beta version?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 07:46:53 pm by point-n-shoot »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 08:22:28 pm »

Hi!

I don't really now what you mean when you say laggy. I run my Lightroom on an Athlon dual core (2.4 GHz and 2 gigs of DDR RAM). What I can say is:

1) Lightroom is no speed daemon
2) When importing a set of files Lightroom starts a lot of background processing, mostly creating preview images.

My experience is that it is best to import the files, have a break, and then do development. Beta 4.1 on my hardware seems quite usable to me.

Best regards

Erik
Does anyone else find LR lags from time to time?  I especially notice it in the "Develop" mode when adjusting the sliders.  I'm running decent hardware (P4 3.2 with 4-Gigs of PC3200 DDR, dual 7800 SATA HD's in Raid-0 configuration and a GeForce 6800 GPU (running in Win XP Pro). 

I tried turning everything off in the background and LR was still giving my machine fits.  This is the only program that lags on my machine.  Could it be because I load all the photos in Library before developing them, or is it just because its a Beta version?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93076\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Erik Kaffehr

ColinDoncaster

• http://www.colindoncaster.com
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 09:07:08 am »

Hi there,

Are you sure the "task list" has completed all the tasks before moving into Develop or some other processor intensive module?  I find that I can work faster than lightroom can keep up ( no surprise there ) and thus putting a heavy load on the system.  I'd recommend waiting for all background tasks, like thumbnail building, to be completed before heading into Develop and/or trying to do anything else.  I understand it defeats the purpose but, even though it's a background process, scaling and resizing the images will be hitting the same instructions on the CPU as many of the operations in Develop - modern technology should be advanced enough to deal with this may not be the case.

I used to have a lot of trouble with Hyper threading and Shake, using OpenEXR or Cineon files produces a lot of data and doing various image processing tasks would cause the machine to hang because all the processes used similar instructions.  Hyper Threading is only useful if you're doing different work in each thread - it's the difference between running while chewing gum, and running while trying to skip.

I apologize that this doesn't actually present a solution, but maybe it'll give you more of an idea of how you could adjust your work flow to avoid frustration.

cheers.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 05:54:00 pm »

Hi!

Yesterday I experienced "extremely laggy" behaviour. This time I was processing small JPEGs. After a couple of hours of confusion I adjusted priority for Lightroom to "high", using task manager->processes->lightroom->rightclick->set priority->high.

After that Lightroom was working as a swell. Next time I was running Lightroom it was OK.

Erik

Does anyone else find LR lags from time to time?  I especially notice it in the "Develop" mode when adjusting the sliders.  I'm running decent hardware (P4 3.2 with 4-Gigs of PC3200 DDR, dual 7800 SATA HD's in Raid-0 configuration and a GeForce 6800 GPU (running in Win XP Pro). 

I tried turning everything off in the background and LR was still giving my machine fits.  This is the only program that lags on my machine.  Could it be because I load all the photos in Library before developing them, or is it just because its a Beta version?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93076\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Erik Kaffehr

point-n-shoot

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 06:56:56 pm »

<snip>
I adjusted priority for Lightroom to "high", using task manager->processes->lightroom->rightclick->set priority->high.
<snip>[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97068\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Erik, did you get a pop-up warning about possible system instability caused by changing priority?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 06:58:25 pm by point-n-shoot »

macgyver

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 10:19:26 pm »

Tell it to go ahead and render the 1:1 previews for everything before you start working, that frees up some speed.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 01:05:06 am »

Yes!

The problem could be that setting higher than normal priority could cause other programs to fail to execute.  I would not recommend setting priority higher than high.

Technically priority is the order that programs are executed, so a high priority program will always be executed before a program with lower priority, if the program can execute. If the program is waiting for instance for disk IO it will run some other program instead.

Here are some pointers (may be a bit technical):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheduling_%28computing%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preemptive_multitasking

Best regards

Erik
Erik, did you get a pop-up warning about possible system instability caused by changing priority?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97082\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up