Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reformatting a network drive (NAS) in Mac OS Exte  (Read 3984 times)

Muhammad Yazid M

Reformatting a network drive (NAS) in Mac OS Exte
« on: December 30, 2006, 02:06:51 pm »

I realise that I'm not able to copy my files over to the Maxtor Shared Storage II I've just bought simply because some of the namings of my files is too long. As written all over the specs and information and product brochures, the MSS II is compatible with Mac!!! If this is so how come I'm not able to copy my files over?!!! There were no clause or details highlighting this problem at hand. Please help!!! Will there be any problem if I were to re-format the drive? Or is there any way to get around this matter?

Robin Balas

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 02:30:01 pm »

I realise that I'm not able to copy my files over to the Maxtor Shared Storage II I've just bought simply because some of the namings of my files is too long. As written all over the specs and information and product brochures, the MSS II is compatible with Mac!!! If this is so how come I'm not able to copy my files over?!!! There were no clause or details highlighting this problem at hand. Please help!!! Will there be any problem if I were to re-format the drive? Or is there any way to get around this matter?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92925\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not quite sure what you're doing wrong as I have no such problems with my NAS. But check if you are connected via afp or smb protocoll.
Make sure to specify afp://192.168.1.xxx or whatever your NAS ip is in the connect to server box.
You might have to enable afp in your NAS. I have no such issues when using AFP and OSX 10.4

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 10:48:57 am »

How long are your file names? Give some examples of problem files.

francois

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 06:43:56 am »

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You may want to read [a href=\"http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/harddrives/topic4321.html]this[/url] part of the report publsihed on Macintouch website.

<snip>So the question is: which NAS systems allow completely transparent operation with the capabilities of Mac OS X? And I do not want a system that truncates or otherwise changes the filenames in order to function. 32, 40, or 50 characters don't seem to the users like they are ridiculously long and &, %, #, ?, -, @, etc. don't seem to my people to be bizarre.</snip>

<snip>Your Mac can communicate using many different protocols, among them SMB, AFS, and NFS; each with various limitations as just described. ... Provided your files don't have ridiculously long filenames or bizarre characters in their names, you're not likely to have any serious problems.<snip>

<snip>then mount those sharepoints on your Mac's desktop using the Connect to Server command in Finder.<snip>

<snip>use the "Connect to Server" option in the Mac Finder's "Go" menu to bring up the ReadyNAS volume onto your desktop.<snip>

<snip>ou'll end up mounting it using either Windows File Sharing protocols, or UNIX/NFS. These work, but there you may discover problems.<snip>

Not sure if it can solve your issue but keep us posted.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 06:44:59 am by francois »
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up