Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chargers  (Read 2721 times)

DeanC

Chargers
« on: December 30, 2006, 08:37:18 am »

I have numerous chargers for Canon camera batteries, Dell laptop etc, and I will be traveling to Africa for four months.

Each charger says the input is 100v to 240v. Does this mean that I only need a plug converter, but can otherwise just plug in without power adaptors?

If anyone has experience with this, it would be immensely good to know.

ceyman

Chargers
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 08:51:02 am »

Yes

DiaAzul

• http://photo.tanzo.org/
Chargers
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 05:07:26 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92881\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Make sure that you check the details for each country you are likely to visit. It should be as simple as having the correct physical adapter - however, on the rear of the power supply it will say for each one what the acceptable input voltage will be.

Your greatest problem will be having power actually available. Depending on which countries and which regions you are visiting you may find that there is no electricity available or that the supply is erratic and not available when you need. It may be advisable if you have critical work to do, are travelling a lot or staying for some time to get a small in car DC-AC converter. This will enable you to charge your equipment form a standard car battery.

Suggest you also take a spare supply of batteries with you - doubling up on such items is no bad thing if you need the assurance of having power when you need.
David Plummer    http://photo.tanzo.org/

DeanC

Chargers
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 10:07:01 am »

Thank you very much, I appreciate your detailed advice.

I've got lots of extra batteries already, so I'm feeling fine about that. Also, almost all of my power adaptors (save the AA recharger) can manage up to 240V. I've been told - and am waiting for confirmation - that the support trucks for our expedition will have power, and I'm in the process of finding out exactly what kind. I know its 12v auto that is converted, but I don't know what it has been converted to.

Cheers

Dean

Make sure that you check the details for each country you are likely to visit. It should be as simple as having the correct physical adapter - however, on the rear of the power supply it will say for each one what the acceptable input voltage will be.

Your greatest problem will be having power actually available. Depending on which countries and which regions you are visiting you may find that there is no electricity available or that the supply is erratic and not available when you need. It may be advisable if you have critical work to do, are travelling a lot or staying for some time to get a small in car DC-AC converter. This will enable you to charge your equipment form a standard car battery.

Suggest you also take a spare supply of batteries with you - doubling up on such items is no bad thing if you need the assurance of having power when you need.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92944\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ARD

• http://
Chargers
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 11:08:53 am »

I have numerous chargers for Canon camera batteries, Dell laptop etc, and I will be traveling to Africa for four months.

Each charger says the input is 100v to 240v. Does this mean that I only need a plug converter, but can otherwise just plug in without power adaptors?

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This might be worth considering, especially if you are away from a source of electricity for any length of time

[a href=\"http://www.eclipsesolargear.com/]Solar Bag[/url]

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Chargers
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 11:11:11 am »

As long as the data label on the charger says "100-240V" or similar, all you need is a plug adapter, not a converter transformer. You may want to invest in an inverter to convert 12VDC to 110VAC so that you can charge batteries while traveling in vehicles, and have an option if there is no AC power available.

Bobtrips

Chargers
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 11:41:29 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92944\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think you'll find the hours right after dark the most likely to have power if you're in an area with limited electricity.  Folks want light during dinner time and a bit of TV afterward.  

If I'm in a small town/village I make sure to get the chargers plugged in as soon as I get back to the room.  Just in case.

matt4626

Chargers
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 02:58:17 pm »

Take a multi socket adapter (cheap hardware store three plugs from one socket) as you will most likely only have one or two outlets at best.
Pages: [1]   Go Up