Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving Lightroom RAW files from one PC to another  (Read 9130 times)

ashishtibrewal

Moving Lightroom RAW files from one PC to another
« on: December 30, 2006, 02:13:22 am »

Hi,

I have recently started using Adobe Lightroom for RAW processing and I have some doubts regarding the same.  

I believe that the RAW files that you process using Lightroom doesn't gets saved so that you can go back and change the overall settings unless you export the files to various other formats.

I have processes few RAW's and now I want to transfer those RAW files to another laptop which also has Lightroom installed. But just copying the files from  one laptop to another will definitely not copy the RAW settings as well.  

I need to know that is there a way where I can retain the same settings when I move the files from one PC to another.

Thanks
Ashish

francois

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 03:26:45 am »

Hi,

I have recently started using Adobe Lightroom for RAW processing and I have some doubts regarding the same. 

I believe that the RAW files that you process using Lightroom doesn't gets saved so that you can go back and change the overall settings unless you export the files to various other formats.

I have processes few RAW's and now I want to transfer those RAW files to another laptop which also has Lightroom installed. But just copying the files from  one laptop to another will definitely not copy the RAW settings as well. 

I need to know that is there a way where I can retain the same settings when I move the files from one PC to another.

Thanks
Ashish
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92858\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Try to export as a DNG file.
Francois

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 04:13:49 am »

Hi,

I use the following setting:

Setting File->Prefereces->File Management->Automatically write changes in XMP sidecar files.

I don't know if this is needed but Lightroom generates an XMP sidecar file for me. Just copying the RAW files and the XMP files to another computer all information is kept.

Best regards

Erik

Try to export as a DNG file.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92863\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Erik Kaffehr

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 04:15:57 am »

Do you have an option to export to XMP? This will write XMP sidecar files in the originals' folders. Move them to the other computer with your originals, then import the originals into LR.

Alternatively, ensure use the Export / Import Photo Binders feature to move your pictures.

Thirdly, if your new computer has the pics in the same folder names and structure as the other computer, then copy the LR library folder to the new computer.

John

francois

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 05:52:45 am »

Hi,

I use the following setting:

Setting File->Prefereces->File Management->Automatically write changes in XMP sidecar files.

I don't know if this is needed but Lightroom generates an XMP sidecar file for me. Just copying the RAW files and the XMP files to another computer all information is kept.

Best regards

Erik
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92864\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, this works too. It's even easier and better than exporting to DNG.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 06:18:35 am by francois »
Francois

william

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 01:37:24 pm »

You could also just have your Lightroom library on a portable harddrive along with the RAW files.  When importing, choose "reference files in existing location."  Then, direct your various versions of Lightroom on your laptop and desktop computers to find your Lightroom library on the portable harddrive.  Whatever changes have been made are in the Library and accessible from any copy of Lightroom running on any computer.

Of course, this won't work when you've run out of space on your portable HD and need to delete files, because then the Library won't be able to reference those files anymore.  So exporting as described above would work better in that circumstance.

Yes, this works too. It's even easier and better than exporting to DNG.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92871\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up